By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is in danger of losing it's fans

amp316 said:

Also, as far as I know, most Sony fans don't like the Wii so why would they like any of these sort of games? 

Many of them are hypocrites and only hate Wii because it was Nintendo.  If it had been Sony that released the Wii and Nintendo the PS3 many of the Sony fans hating on Wii would be going on about how it is the greatest thing ever and regular controllers are the past and HD graphics don't matter.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I think that the real damage to both Microsoft and Sony would be felt in the next generation if these add-ons are not particularly successful or well received.

First off there is the third party factor, and while these Playstation Move and Project Natal games are unlikely to be as expensive as most PS3 or XBox 360 games it is likely that they’re significantly more expensive than their Wii counterparts; and large losses from products supporting failed add-ons after betting against the Nintendo DS and Wii will likely be the last mistakes many executives at third party publishers make for these companies.

Secondly, I would say there is a risk from core gamers feeling abandoned especially if Sony and Microsoft continue efforts to be more inclusive in their next generation. After last E3 core fans of Sony and Microsoft spent a lot of time hyping that their console’s new input devices would be used heavily in core games and their systems would have the hardcore gaming experience that Wii owners had been asking for since it launched. If these add-ons launch and the smaller core titles (that I said should have been made for the Wii) are replaced with the kind of motion-controlled shovelware that the Wii has been bashed for it will aggravate a lot of these gamers; and if these systems are unsuccessful and Sony and Microsoft continue to push heavily in this direction the feeling of abandonment will only get worse.

Finally, there is what I would call the Zune factor. If the expanded audience doesn’t see value in these products it will become dramatically harder to catch their notice in the next generation (regardless of what you do).

Good points, all of them.

The Wii counterparts are an average of $33 according to Pachter so yes, the price will be higher on the DX9 systems. The executives of these 3rd party publishers are like junkies really. They are running like headless chickens from place to place trying to get a 'fix' on their profit issues withouit actually looking at the fundamentals of their businesses. A legion of faceless, underutilised developers just isn't going to cut it this generation. The most success has been made by 'named' studios like Bungie, Valve, Epic, Bethesda and Nintendo who established a relationship with their customers like Nintendo does and a reputation for quality like Nintendo has. Reputation and quality in a business trying to sell $60 + addons worth of entertainment is extremely important. This is why a game from DICE an EA game developer which EA hasn't ruined the reputation, can sell the way it does.

In addition to your second point, a failure in the current generation motion control schemes would also leave them flat-footed going into the next generation. No 3rd party will invest twice into a system which has been proved a failure and people would be very hesitant to make the leap for a console using said interfaces. Nintendo could then in that instant sweep up the remainder of the market on their good name alone, similar to how Apple has gone from strength to strength since the iPod.

The point of differentiation is important however. If Move = Wiimote clone and Natal = funny interface, both on the surface don't look as likely to succeed. However I would suggest the latter more than the former for greater potential success as it can potentially tap a market wider than Sony and Nintendo can in order to make the Xbox 360 into a viable service delivery platform. I don't know how large a potential 'media centre' market is but at least it'd be offering a unique service not seen anywhere else.

Check out this link it shows the NXE in 2009 at CES with Xbox 360 games and it also implies what Microsoft are going to be doing with the interface. They don't have to win by being the best, they just have to get as many avenues for deployment as possible. If they can get TV manufacturers onside then more power to them.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

joshin69 said:
Shanobi said:
joshin69 said:
Truth is how many Ps3 owners also own a wii, but never play it because it does (i'm not trying to offend) not have the good enough software

I have had a PS3 in my home for months, and it hasn't made me stop playing ANY of my Wii games. Your arguement about not having enough "good" software is a joke.

The last wii game you honestly spend over 300 hours on?

The only game I've spent 300 hours on, of ANY platform this gen, is Twilight Princess. Most games that I play get around 90-100 hours, but I have 50+ of them. Also, I'm an adult living in the real world, so I have less time for games than I used to. But I try to play at least one hour a day.

Anyway, I fail to see your point. How many games have you spent over 300 hours on? And what does that matter?

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

nahhh, if sony fans are willing to buy a 600$ console at launch knowing the 360 has better games, im sure a little motion controller support wouldnt get them to jump off board

M.U.G.E.N said:
lol wii fanboys are having meltdowns in EVERY DAMN THREAD that it's almost sad....no scratch that..it IS sad

lol nvm have fun hating guiz, now apart from the first party games (which are great btw no doubt) Wii will lose it's edge over the competition on the 3rd party publishers pov...and the competition will have their own new franchises that may or may not be successful... :P we will see how well they do after they release the 1st party games for Move, until then c ya

No meltdown here. We're just discussing how all of the Chad Warden's of the internet are going to be disappointed when this device fails to make anything other than a scratch in sales, both for the PS3 and against the Wii.

Good luck with Move, as every journalist who is trying to push it is even saying that the games so far are not anywhere near prime time.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

Well the main point I agree with there, is the thing I've been saying since I first saw it. And that is, not creating a Sony identity over this product. Sure it has the playstation name slapped on it, but there is really nothing screaming, this is Sony. And it's not like they couldn't show it off as uniquely Sony, but they aren't creating that identity.

This is what I see as the biggest problem. I think the userbase and even the "casual" base would jump over it, but they aren't going to do it to have a "second Wii". They are going to do it for a unique experience that is uniquely Sony. That is what I want Sony to do with it and I think that's what the fans and potential customers want. SOCOM is definitely a start but I think they need more, and create new IPs that are uniquely there style.

I'm still very interested in the product, but I want to see what Sony can do with their creative hands in the motion sensing market, not just a generic name and look.

If Sony continue to develop the games that their current fanbase love, then why would they lose fans? The Move is an option, its just another controller that game developers can use if they want. As for this 'Sony fans don't want motion control otherwise they would have got a Wii', BS. I only have a PS3, but I'd love to have some motion control games, I'd love to have a Wii Sports clone. When I go around to mates places that have a Wii, we have an awesome time with WSR. But it was never enough for me to justify spending $400 on a Wii to play it. And with all my other favourite games on PS3, plus a Blu-ray player, thats the way I went this generation. Now I have the option of spending $100 to get the same experience I would previously have to purchase a whole Wii for.

It doesn't matter whether Sony copied or not. And it doesn't matter if Sony doesn't overnight have Wii-like success with it. Its unrealistic to think it even could. But its an option for the consumer, and one less USP that Nintendo has in its cap. Price will be what prevents this from having any signficant impact on Wii sales.

Zucas said:
Well the main point I agree with there, is the thing I've been saying since I first saw it. And that is, not creating a Sony identity over this product. Sure it has the playstation name slapped on it, but there is really nothing screaming, this is Sony. And it's not like they couldn't show it off as uniquely Sony, but they aren't creating that identity.

This is what I see as the biggest problem. I think the userbase and even the "casual" base would jump over it, but they aren't going to do it to have a "second Wii". They are going to do it for a unique experience that is uniquely Sony. That is what I want Sony to do with it and I think that's what the fans and potential customers want. SOCOM is definitely a start but I think they need more, and create new IPs that are uniquely there style.

I'm still very interested in the product, but I want to see what Sony can do with their creative hands in the motion sensing market, not just a generic name and look.

I agree, I think that list of 3rd party support is what Sony has listed, may be one of the thing's that Sony is not saying they will all be making game's one right after the other for Playstation Move, but Sony does indeed know is Software more than anything that  will drive the hardware.

Sony has been investing in very strong 1st party this generation, and it's showing the brand new IP's that have done pretty d@rn well for new Ip's I think that is saying quite a bit.

Sony I think no matter what with their motion control's like Microsoft would be compared to Nintendo's offering. the software is only in pre-alpha, but even with Pre-alpha it's showing a good result pretty good for just getting started.

I think E3 is going to be quite a show this year

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

is it really that difficult to grasp that the movie is meant to make the PS3 appeal to new consumers who enjoy the wii like games, and increase its user base and demographics, not simply existing PS3 owners who have already bought a system and it is merely an added option at this point? really?

how sad. yes, I'm going to stop playing my PS3, and so will 20 some odd million others, simply because a new device is available for the PS3 that I don't have an interest in. what next, the PS3 is going to lose fans who only like sports games because there are shooter and RPG games on the system as well?

just dumb.

even if the release a playstation fit they won't have lost me as a customer. Just maybe lost it and no I wouldn't get it wii fit and wii fit plus is already more than enough. Move on the other had if there are some games that use it well that I want cool if not oh well. Most wii games I have don't use the motion that much so the rest of the time I'm stuck with a controller I don't like. while in this case it would be an option.