By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores (GoW3 - 8/10)

Hey, I predicted an 8/10.

Around the Network

Quick look at exclusive games listed on metacritic.

Edge PS3 scores:

LBP 10/10- 96 meta 4 above average.

Demon's Souls 9/10 89 meta 1 above average.

GOW III- 8/10 94 meta 14 below average.

Heavy Rain 7/10- meta 88 17 below average.

Uncharted 2 9/10 meta 96 6 below average.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune 8/10 meta 88 8 below average.

Metal Gear Solid 4 8/10 meta 94 14 below average.

Killzone 2 7/10 meta 91 21 below average.

Resistance 2 6/10 meta 87 27 below average.

Resistance: FOM 7/10 meta 86 16 below average.

R&C: TOD 8/10 meta 89 9 below average.

R&C: ACIT 7/10 meta 87 17 below average.

Infamous: 7/10 meta 85 15 below average.

Warhawk 8/10 meta 84 4 below average.

Motorstorm 8/10 meta 83 3 below average.

Motorstorm: PC 7/10 meta 82 12 below average.

GT5: Prologue: 7/10 meta 80 10 below average.

Edge 360 scores:

Halo 3: ODST 9/10- meta 83 7 above average.

Halo 3 10/10 - meta 94 6 above average.

PGR4 9/10 meta 85 5 above average.

PGR3 9/10- meta 88 2 above average.

Fable II 9/10- meta 89 1 above average.

Left 4 Dead 9/10 meta 89 1 above average.

Left 4 Dead 2 9/10 meta 89 1 above average.

Forza 2 9/10 meta 90 Exactly average.

Ace Combat 6 8/10 meta 80 Exactly Average.

Forza 3- 9/10 meta 92 2 below average.

Gears Of War 2 9/10 meta 93 3 below average.

Crackdown 8/10 meta 83 3 below average.

Gears Of War- 8/10- meta 94 14 below average.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: 7/10 meta 79 9 below average.

Mass Effect 2 9/10- meta 96 6 below average.

Mass Effect 7/10 - meta 91 21 below average.

Halo Wars- 7/10 meta 82 12 below average.

Dead Or Alive 4- 7/10 meta 85 15 below average.

The metacritic scores of course include the Edge scores in their average. I haven't included all exclusives, just the ones above 80 I could find. In general, they seem to score closer to the average with 360 games.

Doing only "above 80" is only 20% of the picture though. There's plenty of (even big name) 360 exclusives that EDGE puts below the meta average... Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey immediately come to mind.

There's also the issue of EDGE actually using the "full scale" unlike the vast majority of other industry media. This impacts 1UP too, and most review sites trying to shift to letter grades. For EDGE a 4-6 is "average", but I'd argue that a score of 40-60 on meta is pretty far from what the industry considers "average".

8 for GOW3 is actually a great score from EDGE. That puts it among the best of the best, and on par or above anything else in it's specific (sub)genre but Bayonetta actually.

I have said it before, and I will say it again... Edge are extremely biased towards Halo games... That is all ... Oh, and extremely biased towards the shooting genre is general.

jarrod said:
Alic0004 said:

1.)  Out of every review magazine in existence, they have a the lowest overall average rating for PS3 exclusives.  They don't have this issue with 360 exclusives, if I remember correctly.  In other words, they have the biggest (or one of the biggest) discrepancies between how they rate games on different consoles.  There was a interesting article about this a few months back, which listed a bunch of magazines' review averages for exclusives sorted by which console they're on.  One could use the discrepancy between these different consoles' review averages to make a logical argument that if there is one game magazine or group of reviewers in the entire world which is biased against a particular console, the statistics suggest it would most likely be Edge.  If you don't believe that anyone in the world is biased, good for you.

Link to said article?  Because honestly, this claim smells like bullshit...

This article happened. I saw it here myself on VGC. But thats not the full story. The article was about which reviewers were biased towards what console. Edge, statistically speaking, had a huge tendency to give 360 games higher scores, especially shooters and Halo games in general. While on the other hand, I think they concluded IGN was a tad more lenient towards the PS3. But at the end, the graph presented showed the statistical bias of Edge towards the 360 was significantly greater than IGN bias towards the PS3.

Around the Network
DaBuddahN said:
jarrod said:
Alic0004 said:

1.)  Out of every review magazine in existence, they have a the lowest overall average rating for PS3 exclusives.  They don't have this issue with 360 exclusives, if I remember correctly.  In other words, they have the biggest (or one of the biggest) discrepancies between how they rate games on different consoles.  There was a interesting article about this a few months back, which listed a bunch of magazines' review averages for exclusives sorted by which console they're on.  One could use the discrepancy between these different consoles' review averages to make a logical argument that if there is one game magazine or group of reviewers in the entire world which is biased against a particular console, the statistics suggest it would most likely be Edge.  If you don't believe that anyone in the world is biased, good for you.

Link to said article?  Because honestly, this claim smells like bullshit...

This article happened. I saw it here myself on VGC. But thats not the full story. The article was about which reviewers were biased towards what console. Edge, statistically speaking, had a huge tendency to give 360 games higher scores, especially shooters and Halo games in general. While on the other hand, I think they concluded IGN was a tad more lenient towards the PS3. But at the end, the graph presented showed the statistical bias of Edge towards the 360 was significantly greater than IGN bias towards the PS3.

The slant there seems to imply more regional bias and genre bias than "console bias" though.  Which I think you could definitely make a case for and really wouldn't be anything new for EDGE (they used to MURDER 2D fighters in the 90s).  As soon as anyone starts screaming institutional console bias though, eh... I mean, if any console has that going against it, it's more likely the Wii than anything, and then not from EDGE even imo. :/

I would appreciate a link to the article though still...

DaBuddahN said:
I have said it before, and I will say it again... Edge are extremely biased towards Halo games... That is all ... Oh, and extremely biased towards the shooting genre is general.

This actually is what I've noticed as well (Thanks for putting it into words for me!) It would explain why the averages are different for 360 and PS3 games.  With the 360 getting a few more shooters, it would create a statistical bias toward one console.  That combined with Edge scoring most games below the average could be argued to explain why highly rated PS3 exclusives end up getting scored 11 points below the metacritic average, while highly rated 360 games only score 3 points below average.

Also, for some reason FPS games, in my head, are the complete opposite of JRPGs.  I know this doesn't make sense, but just in my personal experience, a player who makes a favorite of one of those genres will tend to be dismissive of the other.  So if Edge prefers FPS games, maybe they just naturally dislike/dismiss JRPGs?

8/10 could of been worse i suppose, but i think it deserved at least a 9 and if its innovation they give good marks for then why did mw2 get 9/10, and heavy rain 7/10.

So, what should i get?
P.B. Winterbottom or GoW3?
guess i will go for winterbottom because we all know the media rates ps3 exclusives too high

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

DaBuddahN said:

Yeah, we all know they LOVED killzone 2 and Resistance 1&2, right? RIGHT?

:/

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY