By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Surprising article from IGN: Wii goes hardcore

griffinA said:
The_vagabond7 said:
polingolingo said:
The_vagabond7 said:
What I find amusing is if they make an article critical towards the wii, then it's obviously trolling for hits. But if they write an article that praises the wii, then it's just them apologizing and begging for forgiveness. Can't anybody take articles at face value anymore? Why is there always some devious subtext to articles? Could it be possible, maybe just possible, that Nintendo has made some really dumb decisions this generation that have alienated a large portion of the gaming populous and IGN called them on it, and Nintendo is ramping up to have a great year and they are praising them for it? Does it all have to be a conspiracy theory of fanboys and trolls?

Dumb question. Yes, yes it does. I forgot I was on the internet.

I see what ur trying to say... thing is, like i was trying to say on an earlier post; Nintendos line-up has not changed, when Matt wrote the first "Nintendo is lazy" article, he knew about all of this games.... now 2 months later after playing a couple of demos hes all excited about nintendo!! This just makes This editor and the company he represents look like they were trolling back then....

I mean c'mon let the fans troll.... Not the editors....  

The two really don't contradict. The article "Nintendo is lazy" wasn't complaining that there weren't good games coming out next year, it was complaining about minimal effort cash ins that lack what many would consider standard features today, and the fans that support and defend them.

This seems to be how fans interpret these articles, which would explain why all of the contempt. If IGN says "Wii has a terrible online infrastructure, especially compared to the PS3 and 360." This gets interpreted as "Teh wii is D00m3d!!! Sell it now anb buy a MICR0SHOFT TREE SIXTY!!!" if they say "NSMBwii would be a 20 dollar downloadable title if it was on a different system, and lacks obvious key features and effort" this is interpreted as "NinLAME-O fails a making games, and they are teh suck and that's why teh PS3 will kill it shortsly!!:" So when they say anything remotely positive about Nintendo, it is seen as being hypocritical, and a ploy to soothe the hurt feelings and anger of wii fans.

A critisism of a particular aspect of the wii, or calling Nintendo on a sorry move or decision does not imply that "teh wii is d00m3d" or "teh wii is suxors". Fans have a hard time telling the difference between valid critisism from over arching hate, and take it very personally and emotionally. I read all of the "trolling" articles, and as a wii owner and wii lover at no point did I think that their critisisms were in poor taste or filled with fanboy vitriole. I thought "yes, the things you are saying are obvious and true, and this will piss off alot of fanboys."

The "Nintendo is Lazy" article did not just address "minimal effort cash ins that lack..." The title of the article itself is "Nintendo is lazy and YOU DON'T CARE," which is essentially saying "I'm right and everyone should listen to me." Once again, the problem is tone. He's a jackass about it.

Here's just some of the factual errors:

"(Wii Music is) a game that so easy that it not only nearly plays itself"

"Nintendo has hit upon a winning formula, which is to make quicker, cost-efficient software"

The problems many people have with the article are two-fold, they hate the tone and they hate that Matt knows about games like Sin and Punishment 2, SMG 2, Zelda Wii, M:OM, Monado (Xenoblade) yet these games are quickly forgotten when they don't suit Matt's argument. 

No, it doesn't say "I'm right and listen to me" it says "Nintendo can crap in a box and a million nintendo fans will flood in to defend it with their lives." Looking at topics like this, it's hard to disagree.

Factual errors, only if you consider them criticism. You only consider them "errors" because they were found in an article with a negative tone instead of a positive one. Hell most of the time wii fans are saying the HD consoles are killing gaming because companies pump so much money into them that a single failure ruins a company. Under a different article Nintendo fans would hail "Nintendo's winning formula" not as a factual error, but as the reason Nintendo succeeds.

Nintendo isn't making Sin and Punishment, or Xenoblade and nobody knows anything about Zelda wii. This is what I'm talking about, there exist only sledgehammers in the land of internet fandom. There can be no precise criticism of a single thing, instead there is only a smashing of a broad topic. Criticise nintendo rightfully on dumb things it's doing and the response is "WELL WGHAT ABOUT ZELDA AND SING AND PUNSIEHMENT!!>?!?!" Even if that doesn't have jack shit to do with what's being critisized. It it just simplified into "NINTENDO GOOD OR BAD??? YOUR ANSWER CAN COME IN THE FORM OF TROLL OR MONEY HAT. CHOOSE WISELY"

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

The wii was always hardcore it was just that they fail to find out that it was.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Good article, but Ign (and the rest of the mainstream gaming media for that matter) REALLY needs to put the stupid hardcore vs casual thing to rest. They are bogus terms invented by the industry and its drone followers themselves.

I am impressed by the lineup, with the exception of Other M and a couple others. Just makes me wonder what Nintendo could possibly have planned at the end of the year to top this.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
This "hardcore resurgence" starts on March 8th with Max and the Magic Marker? No More Heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in January didn't make the cut? Ouch.

Who cares but multilating and brawling when you can draw with a marker?

Of those games I am interested in SMG 2, Red Steel 2, and Metroid Other M (although I hate the Prime series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

@vagabond, criticizing Nintendo is okay, and most of the harshest critics of Nintendo are the biggest fans of Nintendo. But to be foaming at the mouth with hate for Nintendo right now, with the Wii and the DS basically revolutionizing gaming and expanding the market to all age/sex groups, it's basically like being the one guy in the room that foams at the mouth with hatred for the Beatles in 1967 because "they changed too much." Boohoo.

If we want games to be considered a valid art form, then we need to support the artists when they make crazy changes and try crazy new things. There were critics who wanted Bowie to make Ziggy Stardust 2 instead of going into soul and disco. There were critics who wanted Bowie to make Let's Dance 2 instead of going into muppet movies and angsty guitar-based rock. Now we look back and call those critics stupid. In my opinion, after the dust on this generation settles and Wii has dominated the entire planet, this is how we will see Nintendo's critics of 2009 and 2010.

I think this IGN article was just some more trolling. "Hey guys, even though Nintendo sucks ass and we hate them and they have abandoned us for casuals who don't DESERVE Nintendo as much as we do... looks like they snuck in some cool games for a few months in a row. Cool. P.S. Fuck Nintendo."

TL;DR version: The new Nintendo didn't replace the old Nintendo so I see no reason to complain. Nintendo is making more casual games than ever before, but they are ALSO making more hardcore games than ever before. New fans get Wii Sports/Fit. Old fans get 3 Mario games on a single console, which hasn't happened since the NES. If that's abandoning the hardcore, then good riddance.

The_vagabond7 said:

No, it doesn't say "I'm right and listen to me" it says "Nintendo can crap in a box and a million nintendo fans will flood in to defend it with their lives." Looking at topics like this, it's hard to disagree.

The question is, "Is Nintendo crapping in a box?" And for me and many other people the answer is no. So your point loses all validation here. 

How can Nintendo get "hardcore" .

pretty awesome for those wii only owners, but nothing compared to the awesomeness that is the PS3 line up...well that's my personal opinion.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
pretty awesome for those wii only owners, but nothing compared to the awesomeness that is the PS3 line up...well that's my personal opinion.

What's this have to do with the OP? What's the point of the bolded? This is in the Nintendo section isn't it?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.