By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Surprising article from IGN: Wii goes hardcore

Sigh, IGN focuses to much on the casual/hardcore labeling...

I wonder how casual gamers are supposed to get into core gaming when wherever they go they are looked down at and being seen as brainless retards.

Anyway, great line-up!

Around the Network
Destroyer_of_knights said:
pretty awesome for those wii only owners, but nothing compared to the awesomeness that is the PS3 line up...well that's my personal opinion.

The sales of a console speaks for it's quality and its line up quality compared to other systems... well that's my personal opinion.

Bamboleo said:
pretty awesome for those wii only owners, but nothing compared to the awesomeness that is the PS3 line up...well that's my personal opinion.

The sales of a console speaks for it's quality and its line up quality compared to other systems... well that's my personal opinion.

That train of thought could be applied to anything though and it would probably lead to more negative conclusions. McDonald's don't have the greatest meal's, Toyota don't have the best cars and a line of $10 T-Shirts made in Taiwan and sold in Walmarts and Targets all over the world isn't the best fashion. Sales don't just equal quality, alot more thing's have to come into perspective such as marketing, price, availability as well as quality. Well that's just my opinion :).

P.S. That  Destroyer guy was obviously trolling and his two cents should just probably be ignored.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

This rollercoaster ride that these people have with Nintendo is getting old. Now there's nothing but love, but how soon they'll forget. We got Mario, Metroid, and Brawl all within a few months of each other. A total gift to the hardcore, but it wasn't long until the "Nintendo doesn't care about the core gamers!" mantra started. This will be no different. I give it until, hmm ... August. Then it'll start again. "Where are the games Nintendo? You don't care about the core gamers!"

So before anyone attacks Nintendo before the year is out, just remember you got another flagship Mario game (They've only given us one per gen since what, the N64?) and a Metroid game, all within 1-2 months of each other. And during typically slow months in the gaming world.

so let me get this straight? they shitted on us. didn't care about us to begin with and now they make an article praising the wii?

this article doesn't change anything, i still think the website sucks

Around the Network

IGN is right in writing that the Wii lineup is strong for the next several months.
It is also right that stating that Nintendo does not (generally) have such a strong first-party release schedule in the first half of the year and leave the second half of the year fallow.

But as another poster already noted, this move started with NMH2 and TvC.

Also, given the previous attitude of IGN (remember Matt's Wii Music video) -- this crumb only begins the process of healing. It is necessary but not sufficient.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

forest-spirit said:
Sigh, IGN focuses to much on the casual/hardcore labeling...

I wonder how casual gamers are supposed to get into core gaming when wherever they go they are looked down at and being seen as brainless retards.

Anyway, great line-up!

Am not sure about that...I have several friends that are just lowly casual gamers (by ign's definition) and they go MANY places without being 'looked down at  and being seen as brainless retards'! Why, just the other night in fact, several of them went out and hit the cool clubs in the city and not a single person stopped to spit or throw tomatoes at them for preferring 'Carnival Games' to 'Modern Warfare 2'...they even met a group of sexy ladies and not one of them was worried about the fact that my mates did not own a ps3 or 360. Although they were accosted by some thugs on the way home who almost tore their nuts off when they found out not one of my mates had even heard of Uncharted 2...(narrow escape...they let 'em of when one of my friends admitted to once being a ps2 owner...phew!)

Sorry, back on topic....yes great lineup for wii and I can rest easy for once tonight knowing that ign has put them back on their 'worthy enuff for us to admit to liking you again.... for now!' list...lets just hope this is the start of a cycle and not the beginning,middle and end in one short burst (it's happened before!)

Yridian said:

This rollercoaster ride that these people have with Nintendo is getting old. Now there's nothing but love, but how soon they'll forget. We got Mario, Metroid, and Brawl all within a few months of each other. A total gift to the hardcore, but it wasn't long until the "Nintendo doesn't care about the core gamers!" mantra started. This will be no different. I give it until, hmm ... August. Then it'll start again. "Where are the games Nintendo? You don't care about the core gamers!"

So before anyone attacks Nintendo before the year is out, just remember you got another flagship Mario game (They've only given us one per gen since what, the N64?) and a Metroid game, all within 1-2 months of each other. And during typically slow months in the gaming world.

If a good E3 with confirmations of games later in the year rolls around, Nintendo should avoid that round of complaints this year. Those kind of complaints only emerged either when there's a dearth of announcements or of dated games (as the complaints continued long after Other M and Galaxy 2 were announced, under the supposition that those games were over a year away, which wasn't true as we know now, but that was the presumptioN)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I can care less what IGN thinks, I always thought the Wii was hardcore. The thing I don't like about the Wii is the online,but, Capcom is pushing really hard to get Wii owners to play online with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and now Monster Hunter 3.

No actually its pretty awesome if you own any of the consoles, and I have all of them.  The Wii has been by far my favorite and the first one I bought.

So far Im looking at the backlog of titles available for 360/Ps3 and seeing much less diversity in choice.  Either its a racing game or a FPS game and very few in between. As a fan of platformers, there are slim pickings.  I already have the Ratchet games and Banjo and Kazooie and I will buy the little 2D ones on download services, but the Wii is a lot better for this,  if mainly served by Nintendos platformers and Klonoa. In terms of racing, other than Mario Kart, the HD twins definitely win there. I am anjoying NFS shift and Forza 3.  for Shmups, Xbox is the clear winner.

However for sheer variety, Wii is the only place I can find NiGHTS, its the best version of No More Heroes (cant imagine this will be much fun in HD without the wanking motion to recharge or the satisfying sword slash motions).  It is also the console to get for rail shooters, and for the vast majority of classic games. In short, the Wii is pretyt hardcore and serves a large audience with what it does offer. The HD twins serve a much smaller audience, but by no means is that audience MORE hardcore IMO. Hardcore is just playing a game incessantly.  Id say my mother is a hardcore wii fit player.  shes always on it trying to beat her best scores. Hardcore is just a term for dedication to something. Doesnt matter what it is. Doesnt matter what system its on.  Its a mindset not a console choice.  And thats all there is to say.