By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Surprising article from IGN: Wii goes hardcore

The_vagabond7 said:
sc94597 said:

So then the desire is for media outlets to be NOTHING but extensions of publisher's PR representatives? Who wants to hear opinions of 1up, IGN, Giantbomb or the like? Just deliver the press releases and be done with it.

Of course without the limitations a PR representative would bring. Ideally I could care less about their opinion, I just want the facts of the game(s) so I can form my own opinion. I would like them to drop review scores too, or make it a very simple system that coaxes and tells you which reviews are worth reading or not, rather than which games are worth getting or not. 

Around the Network

"losers like Wii Music"

Wii Music sales to date - 2.81M

Any game less than 2.81 is a failure biatches.

The Wii was always a hardcore gamer's system.  People just never noticed it or cared to.

sc94597 said:
The_vagabond7 said:
sc94597 said:

So then the desire is for media outlets to be NOTHING but extensions of publisher's PR representatives? Who wants to hear opinions of 1up, IGN, Giantbomb or the like? Just deliver the press releases and be done with it.

Of course without the limitations a PR representative would bring. Ideally I could care less about their opinion, I just want the facts of the game(s) so I can form my own opinion. I would like them to drop review scores too, or make it a very simple system that coaxes and tells you which reviews are worth reading or not, rather than which games are worth getting or not. 

Well I must say there should be a balance between you two, yeah saying everyone is biased and against the Wii is retarded, but every group does this, but its also hard to ignore things like "professional" reviewers flat out troll consoles, then write inacurate editorials about why the Wii is so bad (see: Daemon Hatfield) 

I mean so many articles have trolling in them that would get them banned off their own forums if they posted that... but no these guys are paid to tell everyone the no bullshit facts about a game... and to be honest the integrity of the system has been compromised a LONG time ago and has only went way down hill this generation.

But it's common sense, the industry went from two people making games in their basements and reviewers having a passion for gaming and hardly getting paid anything, to billions of dollars flying around and if a company goes bust is all riding on the sales of one game, yeah they're gonna pay off some reviewers, yeah some reviewers are just simply going to be fanboys, and yeah the big companies are loving the system they're setting up for themselves to get a lot of press, they fund the press, and they reap the sales come launch, that isn't a conspiracy theory that's just how the industry is and where the money is riding is the HD development...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Nintendo sucks, Nintendo is weak, Nintendo is kiddy...no wait, Nintendo is awesome! Nintendo is Hardcore! I LOVE NINTENDO! AM I COOL NOW!

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

^^^^ I ALMOST pressed the "report" button

Don't get used to this people, I predict IGN will be hating Nintendo again in no time.

Funny how they now praise these games when they were announced a year ago, it's like they are just noticing them........or somewhat.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

The_vagabond7 said:
polingolingo said:
The_vagabond7 said:
What I find amusing is if they make an article critical towards the wii, then it's obviously trolling for hits. But if they write an article that praises the wii, then it's just them apologizing and begging for forgiveness. Can't anybody take articles at face value anymore? Why is there always some devious subtext to articles? Could it be possible, maybe just possible, that Nintendo has made some really dumb decisions this generation that have alienated a large portion of the gaming populous and IGN called them on it, and Nintendo is ramping up to have a great year and they are praising them for it? Does it all have to be a conspiracy theory of fanboys and trolls?

Dumb question. Yes, yes it does. I forgot I was on the internet.

I see what ur trying to say... thing is, like i was trying to say on an earlier post; Nintendos line-up has not changed, when Matt wrote the first "Nintendo is lazy" article, he knew about all of this games.... now 2 months later after playing a couple of demos hes all excited about nintendo!! This just makes This editor and the company he represents look like they were trolling back then....

I mean c'mon let the fans troll.... Not the editors....  

The two really don't contradict. The article "Nintendo is lazy" wasn't complaining that there weren't good games coming out next year, it was complaining about minimal effort cash ins that lack what many would consider standard features today, and the fans that support and defend them.

This seems to be how fans interpret these articles, which would explain why all of the contempt. If IGN says "Wii has a terrible online infrastructure, especially compared to the PS3 and 360." This gets interpreted as "Teh wii is D00m3d!!! Sell it now anb buy a MICR0SHOFT TREE SIXTY!!!" if they say "NSMBwii would be a 20 dollar downloadable title if it was on a different system, and lacks obvious key features and effort" this is interpreted as "NinLAME-O fails a making games, and they are teh suck and that's why teh PS3 will kill it shortsly!!:" So when they say anything remotely positive about Nintendo, it is seen as being hypocritical, and a ploy to soothe the hurt feelings and anger of wii fans.

A critisism of a particular aspect of the wii, or calling Nintendo on a sorry move or decision does not imply that "teh wii is d00m3d" or "teh wii is suxors". Fans have a hard time telling the difference between valid critisism from over arching hate, and take it very personally and emotionally. I read all of the "trolling" articles, and as a wii owner and wii lover at no point did I think that their critisisms were in poor taste or filled with fanboy vitriole. I thought "yes, the things you are saying are obvious and true, and this will piss off alot of fanboys."

The "Nintendo is Lazy" article did not just address "minimal effort cash ins that lack..." The title of the article itself is "Nintendo is lazy and YOU DON'T CARE," which is essentially saying "I'm right and everyone should listen to me." Once again, the problem is tone. He's a jackass about it.

Here's just some of the factual errors:

"(Wii Music is) a game that so easy that it not only nearly plays itself"

"Nintendo has hit upon a winning formula, which is to make quicker, cost-efficient software"

The problems many people have with the article are two-fold, they hate the tone and they hate that Matt knows about games like Sin and Punishment 2, SMG 2, Zelda Wii, M:OM, Monado (Xenoblade) yet these games are quickly forgotten when they don't suit Matt's argument. 

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Eh, it's a slightly misleading title (on their part), it's mostly just a tame representation of what's coming on Wii with an awkward lead-in to try and tie themselves back to earlier, more negative statements.

Articles like this are what they generally *should* be doing (sans the intro), instead of the flame-bait editorials.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This "hardcore resurgence" starts on March 8th with Max and the Magic Marker? No More Heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in January didn't make the cut? Ouch.