By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

JaggedSac said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:
Where did you read that Halo:Reach was using 4xAA, I have not heard that.

Secondly, Rare's engine that they created for Viva Pinata and used in BK:N&B is pretty darn good as well. Uses tessellation.

Based on the trailer that was ingame it's confirmed 4xMSAA. When asked, Bungie replied " Thanks to EDRam ". Also tessellation is impressive, but MSAA is astonishing to see 4xMSAA on consoles.KZ2 for instance uses 2xQSAA. QSAA has less than half the performance hit of MSAA but as a downfall blurrs textures alot. Which is why although MSAA is harder for a system to handle it's always the best option to go with if your PC or cnsole can handle it. Uncharted 2 is the only PS3 game to use MSAA. It uses 2xMSAA but not for shadows or effects.

Can you link me to the Bungie comment?  Thanks.

It was in an inteerview. Youtube somewhere. You may as well look as much as me. Dont even remeber the title. But the Remedy reference is on their official site about EDRams abilities. Imagine GeoW 2 using it. That extra resources would go towards more effects processed etc.

Around the Network

i dissagree on overall AA numbers.

whats more important is how it actually looks when you playing.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

selnor said:

Further apparent is UE3's multiplatform design looking at both ME1 and Mass Effect 2. The former recieveing no AA and the later recieveing 2xMSAA on all except transperencies and effects. IT's this that has held the 360 back. Although in 2006 UE3 did wonders for the 360 putting it well out in front with Gears Of War, since then Sony have had numerous First and Second parties working solely on Engines for the PS3 hardware. Using all it's capabilities.

Slight correction on the bolded. See my thread (links to Digital Foundry) of Mass Effect 2 technically:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=101279&page=1

It's actually the other way round. Mass Effect 1 had 2xAA, in Mass Effect 2 they turned it off to save on performance and sucessfully incorporated bloom and depth of field to cover up the lack of AA. So AA really isn't always that important if you can add other effects. I don't think many would suggest ME1 looks better than 2. I do notice some improvement on my PC when I force 4xAA, but then I sit very close to the screen as I'm on PC.

OT: Will be interesting to see devs push the 360. I think the Unreal Engine has really been overused this gen. I'm hoping Cryengine 3 will also up the technical standard on consoles as well as Sony and MS' first/second party titles. I have so far been fairly impressed by Alan Wake. Not so much Halo Reach, but I will reserve judgement on that as I haven't seen a huge amount of media on it.

If you ask me, resolution is more important than FSAA, but what do I know? I'm just a PC snob. Also, as far as I'm concerned, Edge Detect CFAA is the standard when you want nice ass AA these days. I expect console games to jag like hell to my eyes no matter what, so it's a non-issue to me.

That's ok news for xbox owners, but seriously, the ps3 is leaps ahead when it comes to Anti Aliasing. The xbox 360 maxes at 4 times MSAA, the ps3 is capable of much more than (16 times MSAA), More advanced than most high end computers, all thanks to the cell. For instance, uncharted 2 is flawless. Here read this article

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/05/ps3-smoothing-beyond-that-of-high-end-pc-graphics-card/

Around the Network

Correction to OP- Mass Effect 2 used AA selectively so during cut scenes especially on the characters heavy duty AA was implemented but during actual game play it wasn't hard to spot the wealth of jaggies everywhere. And MAss Effect 1 DID use AA.

Mvp4eVa said:
I hate UE3 every game using this engine they all look the same to me... especially the grays n brown colors they all focus onto... Its time the 360 gets what it deserves, no doubt. typed via Wi

exactly.. with a few exceptions of course. To me though, developers don't utilize it to it's best. But now I realize it's probably just the engine itself.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

TheLastGuardian said:

That's ok news for xbox owners, but seriously, the ps3 is leaps ahead when it comes to Anti Aliasing. The xbox 360 maxes at 4 times MSAA, the ps3 is capable of much more than (16 times MSAA), More advanced than most high end computers, all thanks to the cell. For instance, uncharted 2 is flawless. Here read this article

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/05/ps3-smoothing-beyond-that-of-high-end-pc-graphics-card/

I read the DF report and the AA on PS3 Saboteur is a software post processing effect utilising the SPU while on 360 the 4 x MSAA is hardware implemented by the GPU. If you read the actual face off the PS3 version still performed worse (much more screen tear) so that's something that needs to be sorted out. I think we will see more software related AA implementation on both consoles in the future as AA eats up GPU resources.

TheLastGuardian said:

LOL. The 360 can do x16 if it wanted as well. The point is to do that costs HUGE resources on Cell and leaves alot less resources for parts of the game. Why do you think KZ2 opted for 2xQSAA instead of the superior 2xMSAA? QSAA gives more than half the performance cut, but leaves textures blurred. U2 also is only 2xMSAA. The first 4 MSAA entire Full Screen game is Alan Wake.

The 360 does 4xMSAA free. Thats the point. PS3 would use considerable resource from Cell to do 4xMSAA, meaning less can be used for other things. Thats why it's so great that the 360 has a specially built chip just for AA. It means the entire system is never compromised.

And it's not much more than 16 MSAA as you quote. It's MLAA, which is software driven. Less reliable and many issues of further blurr. Less performance hit like QSAA but worse image on textures, shadows etc. Only good for polygon jaggies.

It shows, because Reach and Wake look the best on the 360.