By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

Am I the only one who doesn't find the graphics of alan wake to be "zomg the most amazing thing ever"?

Also, AA is good and all. But it doesn't improve the graphics. Just gets rid of jaggies. So this doesn't help much.

Around the Network

I just watched another alan wake video. And it looks like gears 2 with a better shadows, better character models. And better AA. Nothing about it shouts I AM GOD. Playing crysis on very high has ruined me for console gaming! :[

Sharky54 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't find the graphics of alan wake to be "zomg the most amazing thing ever"?

Also, AA is good and all. But it doesn't improve the graphics. Just gets rid of jaggies. So this doesn't help much.

Certainly in terms of art, it's your opinion. But in term of technicalaities it's impressive. AA isnt just about jaggies on polygons. It's also about clear textures, non jagged shadows, shadow clipping, lighitng AA etc. Alan Wake is the first to have all 4xMSAA. Most games wont even AA half that stuff.

Sharky54 said:
I just watched another alan wake video. And it looks like gears 2 with a better shadows, better character models. And better AA. Nothing about it shouts I AM GOD. Playing crysis on very high has ruined me for console gaming! :[

Honestly no game lives up to its graphical hype. 

No, you're not the only one...

Sorry but Alan Wake graphics and Halor Reach graphics are not impressive at all.

It's disappointing to see that after 5 years, the X360 can't do better than that.

Come on : AW has been on development for ages and its graphics can't even be on par with Uncharted 2 ones ?

is 360 so difficult to program...?

Around the Network

There's a lot of of games out there with 4x MSAA already both on 360 and PS3 and it's not because of eDRAM. For example GT5P in 720p mode has 4xMSAA AND running at 60fps.

In fact you can't even fit some 720p+2xmsaa in the 10MB of the Xenos (9.6MB precisely), u have to tile the rendering (multi pass of render). Alan wake doesn't have 4x msaa though (neither Halo Reach), last screen from Remedy are supersampled and there s already a lot of tearing going on according the recent vids of the game.

Here is some facts :

selnor said:
Sharky54 said:

Certainly in terms of art, it's your opinion. But in term of technicalaities it's impressive. AA isnt just about jaggies on polygons. It's also about clear textures, non jagged shadows, shadow clipping, lighitng AA etc. Alan Wake is the first to have all 4xMSAA. Most games wont even AA half that stuff.

I have tested AA out on my PC. Farcry. 0 AA to 8 AA. Not a huge difference. Its not nearly as important as you think it is. It is nice and all. But it just makes everything have sharper edges. Also the shadows are nothing special imo. Farcry and crysis have great shadows as well.

selnor said:
Sharky54 said:

You need to understand the most important to most gamers is how the game looks visually. Alan Wake looks good and all but you cant compare it to Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.  When an average gamer plays and they love the graphics, they are not talking about the technicalities; they would say "wow, this is one of the best looking games I've played".

Then maybe you should wait to play A.Wake to see how good the game is visually.

Lord Flashheart said:

Then maybe you should wait to play A.Wake to see how good the game is visually.

Ill check it out when it comes out. I got a  friend with 360