By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

BW_JP said:
Jereel Hunter said:
BW_JP said:
selnor said:
libellule said:
I m not sure those will beat the kings that Gears1/2 or Uncharted2 are

It is not a question about PS3 or 360, it is just that Halo Reach is focusing on upgrading from Halo3 gfx using a new engine able to run a lot of item on screen. I doubt it will become a graphical king contender.
Halo Reach could still be the prettiest Halo ever made and maybe the best one too.

Same goes for Alan Wake : a 4 (?) years game started for PC then going 360 exclusive is not gonna define the new graphical king.
Alan Wake may still be the GOTY 2010 with an insane atmosphere and story and particularly pretty lighting effect.

Neverthless, you are right on the "no specific engine for the 360" ... that is true.

Alan Wake started dev on 360 form day 1, just so you know. Also, I never referred to graphics as such. But technical capabilities. Graphics are 20 % of providing good tech. I was more referring to an engine as a whole. having 4xMSAA on a console game is astonishing. first time ever. And at no cost to the resources. Simly play Crysis on an uber PC and see the FPS difference between changing MSAA up and down to see the performance hit.

Both Alan Wake and Halo Reach as Engines are truly ahead of UE3 by miles and miles.

really?

Alan wake was finished 4 years ago for PC.

Also, none of the games announced for 360 this year can hold a flame to uncharted 2 or killzone 2. Now that god of war 3 makes those 2 games look last generation, you can guess what it does to 360 exclusives.

Between this post, and your next one, I see you like to just make things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saqTUxdLdS0       

alan wake, 4 years ago, better graphics than it has now, also open world and not hallway corridor shooter like it is now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-saboteur-aa-blog-entry

That link showed... not even a scene, just a zoomed out view from a point in development... hardly a finished game. By that logic, Sony finished KZ2 in 2005.

Around the Network
ruff_romeo said:
I agree, it is insane having 4xMSAA, that is on a another level (extreme level). Its amazing how much recourses MSAA consume, and its truly astonishing that Alan Wake & Halo Reach will 4xMSAA. Especially considering the Epic scale that Halo Reach plans to bring! However, I still think that Alan Wake will make the best visuals of ALL TIME! I really don't think Uncharted 2 will have much 2 say when Alan Wake is released. I'm sorry, but I think thats the ultimate truth. On top of that, those games to all fit on a DVD 9 is even more astonishing, because I always thought that MS will need to create a new format to further game performance and content in the near future.

You do realise Alan Wake isn't released yet? And that when it is released U2 will have been out for 1 year. It's the natural progression of the console generation.

To bolded: Not that amazing really. Compression is pretty advanced these days, but what really takes up space is the number and variety of textures used. For instance, Crysis is still the most graphically advanced game out, yet only takes up 6Gb HDD which could easily fit onto one of the 360 DVDs. The fact is most of the environments are very similar so they could repeat a lot fo the textures. On the other hand, a game like MGS4 which is less advanced graphically, has far more variety in environments and as such requires far more storage space.

Scoobes said:
ruff_romeo said:
I agree, it is insane having 4xMSAA, that is on a another level (extreme level). Its amazing how much recourses MSAA consume, and its truly astonishing that Alan Wake & Halo Reach will 4xMSAA. Especially considering the Epic scale that Halo Reach plans to bring! However, I still think that Alan Wake will make the best visuals of ALL TIME! I really don't think Uncharted 2 will have much 2 say when Alan Wake is released. I'm sorry, but I think thats the ultimate truth. On top of that, those games to all fit on a DVD 9 is even more astonishing, because I always thought that MS will need to create a new format to further game performance and content in the near future.

You do realise Alan Wake isn't released yet? And that when it is released U2 will have been out for 1 year. It's the natural progression of the console generation.

To bolded: Not that amazing really. Compression is pretty advanced these days, but what really takes up space is the number and variety of textures used. For instance, Crysis is still the most graphically advanced game out, yet only takes up 6Gb HDD which could easily fit onto one of the 360 DVDs. The fact is most of the environments are very similar so they could repeat a lot fo the textures. On the other hand, a game like MGS4 which is less advanced graphically, has far more variety in environments and as such requires far more storage space.

to say the truth about Crisis
It may be the technical king and I m not challenging your point (I just agree)

but, OMG, this game is so blank, it is really just an update version of Farcry with insanely average settings (a blank island)

yes, you can "kill trees" ... wow, amazing ...

Time to Work !

libellule said:
Scoobes said:
ruff_romeo said:

to say the truth about Crisis
It may be the technical king and I m not challenging your point (I just agree)

but, OMG, this game is so blank, it is really just an update version of Farcry with insanely average settings (a blank island)

yes, you can "kill trees" ... wow, amazing ...

Lol. Yeah, it kinda was a very "samey" game although I preffered it to Far Cry.

I am looking forward to Crysis 2 though as I think they had some nice ideas in 1 that were hindered by the repeating enivronment and can be massively improved upon.

FAIL Microsoft. To design a console that is capable of 4xAA and not being able to show it in games.

I hope that Alan and Reach won't be the last games that will use 4xAA on X360.

Around the Network
NightAntilli said:
theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
libellule said:
NightAntilli said:
theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
Well for one, I doubt the 4xAA is completely free in this case. AA and HDR don't go well together on the X360 since they both rely on the eDRAM. But the lighting and shadowing is probably the best done on consoles as of now.. It's really amazing. They probably use tiling for the lighting, but there must be some real magic going on in that code to output that kind of lighting... I'm really wondering how they get the 4xAA with that.. It seems better than Halo 3's lighting, but Halo 3 needed to sacrifice resolution and AA for it.. Alan Wake doesn't seem to have that problem...

fog

What do you mean?

the reduced size of the environnement are hidden by fog ?

in clear, you are in a little 3D path but you believe you are in a forest
(it was mentnnioed in a recent french videogame video about AlanW, they saied this was really well implemented so you didnt feel too much restricted in your "walk")

Not really. There's a big difference between distance fog and volumetric fog. Alan Wake uses volumetric fog.

palmface*

There is only a difference is how they look. It still scales the game down.

EDIT: Do you go telling people things like this? Where does misinformation like this come from? Did you hear this from someone else?

Not only on how they look. Volumetric fog actually uses more resources. The volumetric fog is also used to improve the lighting effects. As for the fog hiding details, I think you should take a look at this first:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/alan-wake-welcome-to-bright-falls?size=hd

That is pre-rendered. Also they do use the fog to cover details in that. Look at the trees in back. Basically just an outline of trees. Cant see any details. 

selnor said:

I posted the very press release for the chip. Where it states 4xMSAA is possible. People here dont understand diagrams if they cant see what the EDRam chip is. And why it's beneficial. 10 mb EDRAM as instanious as it is is like using 64mb of the DDR3 ram out of the 512mb on 360 for AA. Thats the difference.

KZ2's QSAA was not a choice but necessity. No PC gamer in their right mind would run QSAA if their PC can handle MSAA at high volumes.

Thanks to the daughter die ( EDRam ), the Xenos can do 4x FSAA, z-buffering, and alpha blending with no appreciable performance penalty on the GPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

Where the PS3 'HAS' to use Cell resources to do any of these above things. The 360 essentially gets them free because of the daughter die. And yes. Alan Wake is the 'ONLY' 4xMSAA game on the entire image. Do some reading and you will see. Alan Wake is provided with 4xMSAA, 5 Alpha Blends and Z bufferring techniques all free. And Remedy say thats true. So either people are trying to talk BS or have no clue how this works. Also it's amazing how many people havent a clue about AA. Wait till I post the AA wiki stuff.

I'm just saying that instead of going for PR pieces you should delve a bit more deeply in the technical side of things before starting a technical argumentation. The embedded eDRAM is a great addition, but it doesn't offer "everything for free" in many real use cases. Once again, Google for it and you'll find the exact references.

And you're wrong about KZ2. Google for it and you'll find that they're actually doing a supersampling Quincunx. Which also falls in the category of MSAA techniques. It's not like there's a switch between just two ways to perform AA. On PC games you'll often find a plug-in system for antaliasing resorting to very standard techniques because it has to run on a variety of hardware, where on consoles you code "close to the metal" and tend to employ less standard techniques, more tweaked to your precise goal. As such your repeated appeals to PC game settings make little sense: there's not such thing as "the" MSAA technique but a whole molteplicity of them and they won't always give better results than Quincunx or edge detection/blur, depending on things such as other post effects.

In your third paragraph you once again state something (the bolded) that is untrue in general, true in cases that don't put together resolutions of 720p / 10 bit hdr / 32bit z-buffer. It was a godsend for many multiplatform games and engines, allowing indeed a "free"  and quick MSAA on the 360.

Such is not the case when you want more complex setups. Which is why Halo 3 is sub-hd (they wanted their HDR over the resolution) or why quoting Remedy:

I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with our shipping solution. We hate dithering and aliasing just as much as you I think. Hardware 4xAA on the Xbox360 is nice for a lot of things - it did take us a while to get the most out of it (E.g, refactoring the renderer quite a few times).

Shadow aliasing doesn't really have anything to do with the generic framebuffer resolution or aliasing quality, but having the game run with 4xAA in the framebuffer is kind of rubbing in any other visual quality problems there might be.

Please note that there's no mention of getting anything "for free" in this case. Actuallywe hear about them having to redesign their renderer around it. As always when someone wants to get the most out of a console there was a lot of work in overcoming the limitations of the hardware. That's the case with the PS3, using SPEs for pixel-processing when it makes sense. That's the case with the 360, designing your engine to use the limited 10MB of eDRAM to its best. A totally different scenario from the "free" AA that many quick and dirty engine jobs indeed got, but with much less interesting final overall results.

And btw, the second part of the Remedy guy's answer should be a hint of what others already told you: shadow aliasing has nothing to do with the framebuffer AA. It's about how shadows are calculated on the surfaces they hit, not about how they are translated to the pixel grid. And it's a whole different issue from what you employ full sceen AA for.

Finally, can you please links to factual evidence that:

1) Alan Wake will employ full-screen 4xMSAA ( the quotes I myself reported don't say that, as they may be talking about 4xAA on specific tiles)

2) it's the first ever console game to do so, ie all other games people mentioned such as Heavenly Sword are not doing 4xMSAA (I got the notion that HS does 1280x720 4xMSAA from the pixel-counters threads at Beyond3D)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

@SHarky 54: How do you know it's pre-rendered? Doesn't seem pre-rendered to me. Too many graphical glitches, and at the end, the player seems to be controlling the camera. But, yeah, trees that are basically a mile away are never very detailed, since those are basically the most resource intensive objects you can render. A lot of games simply don't include vegetation/foliage at all, stream them in later, or use simplified models, even up close.

Fog does help vegetation look better, however, the fog in AW is not hiding so many details that you can't see what's far away, unlike a lot of other games. Not at daytime anyway. At night time, to some degree, yeah, but, it's night time.. You're not supposed to see details of everything far away lol. Guess that's a bit convenient for them xD Though you can always still see the light from the lighthouse for example, and still you can see a lot of vegetation.. Even far away trees. I'm not saying the fog doesn't hide anything, but why would it make sense for them to use volumetric fog instead of distance fog if volumetric fog uses way more resources, if their goal was to hide imperfections? They could've used the resources for volumetric fog to increase far away detail.. I personally think it was a choice to have a great atmosphere.. Not necessarily that the fog's main purpose is to hide details.

Truth does not fear investigation

@Selnor: "Then theres the 2nd to utilize EDRam this year. Reach boasts 720p, 30 FPS and 4xMSAA on entire image. But more impressively is what that free chip allows the devs to add to the rest of the game, 60+AI + Vehicles + flying = most impressive fights in an FPS on consoles."

Where did you get that info from? Halo Reach runs at 1152x720 instead of 1152x640, which is the case for Halo 3. It's better but not 1280x720 which everyone will think when you say 720p.
Reach doesn't even have Anti-aliasing at all. They have improved post-processing so the jaggies are less noticeable, but still no "4xMSAA on entire image".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-alpha-analysis-blog-entry

If 4xMSAA was as free as selnor believe, every 360 games would have been sampled like that since the first year of the console. It's not even free in 720p with 2x...That's why a lot of games have been sub hd this generation (95% of multiplat are lead on 360 since the beginning). U can get a 2xaa ALMOST free in sub hd resolution with the Xenos. Not much more without heavy penalties.

4xMSAA is a different scenario and not free at all, u try that kind of tiling on very light/or predictable engine rendering (sports games, remake,..) that's why i highly doubt Alan wake will perform that kind of sampling, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to me. Remedy has talented graphic artists. I would prefer see them fixing the low res buffer for all atmospherics (looks very odd to me on pics and vids so far)

Heavenly sword was kind of an achievement, but they also had to use a special HDR space (nao32) to limit the framebuffer size, even on PS3, who doesn't really have a physical limitations on framebuffer size (u just crunch on your available memory pool for general rendering, other engine loops, etc..)

Anyway, sampling is not the only important thing, it's part of whole. The way graphist works with their color space, the visual homogeneity, contrast balancing, color correction, can be way more important than sampling a lot to get something really clean. Shaders are also very important, AF and many other things (even LOD). Getting a good IQ is a very complex thing and not limited to one feature like AA.