By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

^ Killzone uses QAA.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

^and still looks better than any FPS on consoles.

^ Why use the 'console' distinction. There are several games which look better on PC.

Twistedpixel said:
^ Why use the 'console' distinction. There are several games which look better on PC.

and? PC games have always looked better than console games.

theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:

No. There were many console games which looked superior in the pre 3D accelerated days.

Around the Network

Only game I even care about in those 3, is Alan Wake :P. Game does look amazing, regardless of who you are.

Sorry, just not a fan of Gears of War or Halo.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Twistedpixel said:
theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:

No. There were many console games which looked superior in the pre 3D accelerated days.

Ok, maybe I was wrong but who cares?

The OP talks about 4xAA on alan wake being a console first. WHy should we leave out "console" when we are replying directly to that? ANyways, to address the OP again, Alan Wake was announced as a PC/360 game and it wasn't until 2009 that MS touted it as a 360 exclusive. All screenshots from before then (or even after) could have been pc based screenshots.

theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:
theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:

The OP talks about 4xAA on alan wake being a console first. WHy should we leave out "console" when we are replying directly to that? ANyways, to address the OP again, Alan Wake was announced as a PC/360 game and it wasn't until 2009 that MS touted it as a 360 exclusive. All screenshots from before then (or even after) could have been pc based screenshots.

Why should people even use the pre-amble 'only on consoles' and then discuss which has the best graphics? Its setting up the discussion to only reaffirm a false belief system. Its the same as people only discussing the DX9 system sales and completely ignoring the Wii if only to reaffirm yet another set of false beliefs and without having to come to grips with the realities of the situation.

PS3 games especially are excellent looking games due to the time, talent and effort put into them and not due to some mystical power of the PS3. Respect the games for what they are without trying to make them into something they are not. They cannot push the sheer power of even a moderate gaming PC so often you'll see them restrict the gameplay and environment within set bounds and then use the power of creative design to make you forget about the invisible walls and restrictions.

Btw they said that all screen shots released for the last four years were the Xbox 360 version. You don't have to worry about that one.

Twistedpixel said:
theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:
theprof00 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Why should people even use the pre-amble 'only on consoles' and then discuss which has the best graphics? Its setting up the discussion to only reaffirm a false belief system. Its the same as people only discussing the DX9 system sales and completely ignoring the Wii if only to reaffirm yet another set of false beliefs and without having to come to grips with the realities of the situation.

PS3 games especially are excellent looking games due to the time, talent and effort put into them and not due to some mystical power of the PS3. Respect the games for what they are without trying to make them into something they are not. They cannot push the sheer power of even a moderate gaming PC so often you'll see them restrict the gameplay and environment within set bounds and then use the power of creative design to make you forget about the invisible walls and restrictions.

Btw they said that all screen shots released for the last four years were the Xbox 360 version. You don't have to worry about that one.

Didn't they mention in the same press release that they were taken from the 360 version running on PC with a filter? I'm gunna try to find that.

Im not sure, all I read was that every screen shot released to the gaming press was an Xbox 360 shot. Though I suspect the movies may have been PC based...