By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

there's also this interview here:
SPOnG: A couple of years ago, you guys showcased Alan Wake on the PC and it looked pretty amazing with the use of multi-threading and taking advantage of multiple cores. But recently you announced that the PC version has been canned. Why?

Oskari Häkkinen: Well, we're a relatively small studio with about 50 people, so it just made sense for us to concentrate on one platform at a time, and see how it goes. Nothing to announce today regarding that, but right now, we're just focused on the Xbox 360.

http://spong.com/feature/10110062/Interview-Alan-Wake-Remedys-Oskari-Hakkinen

He never denied those ss being from 360 only.

Around the Network

Ok, now im not sure! Thanks... LOL

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Ok, now im not sure! Thanks... LOL

I'm not sure myself ha!

i dont care about any of this JUST SHOW ME. when i see alan wakes GAMEPLAY then i will start to care. PS3 games SHOW me its better and thats what i want to see.

however i dont care how halo reach looks that game is gonna be hot!!!!!!

Also, to adress nightantilles point again about there being some sacrifice, maybe it has to do with a stationary camera, ie, while it is area dependant, it's fixed for the most part. ?

Around the Network

I don't understand all this UE3 hate....yes it doesn't make the most out of 360 hardwere so, whats the problem?It's not like Gears/Mass Effect/Bioshock looks bad....The UE3 may not be the most advanced engine but it helps programmers to make the game developing process faster and cheaper....I'm actually happy that those developers are spending all their time actually developing games rather than a new engine every time. The 360 it's meant to be the most complete and convinient console on the market both for consumers and developers not the most tecnical advanced one (that's the Ps3).
Most game developers have not the time, money or skills to develop an excellent engine, look at what happened to Liar for example.
Resident Evil 5 is also an example of what happens when you the make most of you efforts only to improve the engine (great graphics/linear un-original game).

theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
libellule said:
NightAntilli said:
theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
Well for one, I doubt the 4xAA is completely free in this case. AA and HDR don't go well together on the X360 since they both rely on the eDRAM. But the lighting and shadowing is probably the best done on consoles as of now.. It's really amazing. They probably use tiling for the lighting, but there must be some real magic going on in that code to output that kind of lighting... I'm really wondering how they get the 4xAA with that.. It seems better than Halo 3's lighting, but Halo 3 needed to sacrifice resolution and AA for it.. Alan Wake doesn't seem to have that problem...

fog

What do you mean?

the reduced size of the environnement are hidden by fog ?

in clear, you are in a little 3D path but you believe you are in a forest
(it was mentnnioed in a recent french videogame video about AlanW, they saied this was really well implemented so you didnt feel too much restricted in your "walk")

Not really. There's a big difference between distance fog and volumetric fog. Alan Wake uses volumetric fog.

palmface*

There is only a difference is how they look. It still scales the game down.

EDIT: Do you go telling people things like this? Where does misinformation like this come from? Did you hear this from someone else?

Not only on how they look. Volumetric fog actually uses more resources. The volumetric fog is also used to improve the lighting effects. As for the fog hiding details, I think you should take a look at this first:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/alan-wake-welcome-to-bright-falls?size=hd

Truth does not fear investigation

Twistedpixel said:
^ Killzone uses QAA.

actually 2x QAA or 4x 9-tap. which means that it's normal 4xMSAA which takes some samples from neighbouring pixels.

its quite interesting actually, the killzone 2 devs released a massive piece of literature on it.. its like 120 pages or so.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

NightAntilli said:
theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
libellule said:
NightAntilli said:
theprof00 said:
NightAntilli said:
Well for one, I doubt the 4xAA is completely free in this case. AA and HDR don't go well together on the X360 since they both rely on the eDRAM. But the lighting and shadowing is probably the best done on consoles as of now.. It's really amazing. They probably use tiling for the lighting, but there must be some real magic going on in that code to output that kind of lighting... I'm really wondering how they get the 4xAA with that.. It seems better than Halo 3's lighting, but Halo 3 needed to sacrifice resolution and AA for it.. Alan Wake doesn't seem to have that problem...

fog

What do you mean?

the reduced size of the environnement are hidden by fog ?

in clear, you are in a little 3D path but you believe you are in a forest
(it was mentnnioed in a recent french videogame video about AlanW, they saied this was really well implemented so you didnt feel too much restricted in your "walk")

Not really. There's a big difference between distance fog and volumetric fog. Alan Wake uses volumetric fog.

palmface*

There is only a difference is how they look. It still scales the game down.

EDIT: Do you go telling people things like this? Where does misinformation like this come from? Did you hear this from someone else?

Not only on how they look. Volumetric fog actually uses more resources. The volumetric fog is also used to improve the lighting effects. As for the fog hiding details, I think you should take a look at this first:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/alan-wake-welcome-to-bright-falls?size=hd

one scene is not the whole game though. Watch the video follow my light and fight with light and tell me that the fog (and walls, for that matter) is not limiting draw distance. I understand that it's more intense than draw distance style fog, but it still helps cut down the amount needed to be displayed. That video you linked is great, but I'm sure we can figure out what the "fog" is in that scene too. Also, there are many portions of the game which take place at night. That cuts down considerably on texture requirements.

Back to that water scene, it could be that because everything is at a far enough distance, it only requires a little extra processing power to make them look real. Notice also that nothing in that scene is moving, except the boat. Processor slowdown usually occurs when things need to move around. If you have a static environment, it's easier to shift the resources toward graphical detail. But I digress. It's still a beautiful game, but if you're looking for the "sacrifice" that's it, although it is very cleverly concealed.

For the record I think that the Unreal Engine has done a great job this gen, and has been flexible enough to make JRPG's, WRPG's, FPS's, TPS's and stealth action games, and they have all looked really good. If there is some "better engine" that has done all that, well lets see some more of that one.