By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5th year of Xbox 360 : The Unreal Engine Effect.

Snuttis said:

@Selnor: "Then theres the 2nd to utilize EDRam this year. Reach boasts 720p, 30 FPS and 4xMSAA on entire image. But more impressively is what that free chip allows the devs to add to the rest of the game, 60+AI + Vehicles + flying = most impressive fights in an FPS on consoles."

Where did you get that info from? Halo Reach runs at 1152x720 instead of 1152x640, which is the case for Halo 3. It's better but not 1280x720 which everyone will think when you say 720p.
Reach doesn't even have Anti-aliasing at all. They have improved post-processing so the jaggies are less noticeable, but still no "4xMSAA on entire image".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-alpha-analysis-blog-entry

It's 720p the same way the GT5 is 1080p. No-one cares it's not "true" 720p

Around the Network

at least that game fits into the HD res in both I guess since it's 1440x1080.

@Lord Flashheart: I think that people do care, since sub-hd is below the standard res of ps3/360-titles. I'm not picky about resolutions. If a slightly lower res makes the game run smoother then fine by me.
However, i get really annoyed when people (Selnor in this case) posts stuff like "720p, 4xMSAA on entire image" when he doesn't provide a link to back up his claims.
Fanboys will then use these "facts" in arguments and half of the thread will end up as a debate over who is right about the specs of the game.

If it's because you want someone to back up their claims then I agree with you but if it's to nitpick the vertical resolution then I have to ask why start now?
Is it because it's a 360 game because no-one cared in the past with GT5.
Personally I don't care if it's sub-HD as long as the art style or quality of the graphics suit the game.

Doesn't matter if the game is on 360 or ps3. I just dislike it when people say false stuff. That's all. Halo Reach is pretty damn close to the usual 720p so it's fine by be, but to say Reach have 4xMsaa on the entire image when i doesn't have any at all was the big thing i reacted to.

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
selnor said:
arsenicazure said:
I think something that holds the 360 back, IMO is that horrible 1MB CPU cache they have..split between three cores.. I dont know what they were thinking...

Reach doesnt look THAT pretty.. but its nifty for a halo game.. anyhow no one plays halo for prettiness..

FF13 though is another matter.. screw you SE.

It's not all about graphics. And it would seem you miss the point. Imagine Halo Reach cutting out 40 enemies onscreen, going down to using 2xQSAA and having preprogrammed scripted level edited AI. IT would look the same if not better thanany other corridor shooter. It's about the engine itself. Technically, from visuals together with amount of advanced AI, with 4xMSAA etc etc. Thats technical capabilites. A consoles power cannot be determined on how it looks alone. Because graphics are like 20% of the entire work the system does.

I totally agree.. Halo Reach is pretty much the first game,barring ninty nine knights, that has lots of enemy action on screen. Now wer talking CPU here and yes in that regard the cache on the CPU is horrible and has pretty bad branch prediction. Its still good to see them making progress on this, though...

While the cache size is very small, it's still a 3 core CPU, something most games haven't pushed to the max yet. The lack of extra cache isn't really noticeable unless the CPU is being used 100%.

"Possibly the most technically advanced game your going to see in at least 2 years! Halo Reach."

This made me laugh.

Unless you mean just on 360?

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
WereKitten said:
selnor said:

I posted the very press release for the chip. Where it states 4xMSAA is possible. People here dont understand diagrams if they cant see what the EDRam chip is. And why it's beneficial. 10 mb EDRAM as instanious as it is is like using 64mb of the DDR3 ram out of the 512mb on 360 for AA. Thats the difference.

KZ2's QSAA was not a choice but necessity. No PC gamer in their right mind would run QSAA if their PC can handle MSAA at high volumes.

Thanks to the daughter die ( EDRam ), the Xenos can do 4x FSAA, z-buffering, and alpha blending with no appreciable performance penalty on the GPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

Where the PS3 'HAS' to use Cell resources to do any of these above things. The 360 essentially gets them free because of the daughter die. And yes. Alan Wake is the 'ONLY' 4xMSAA game on the entire image. Do some reading and you will see. Alan Wake is provided with 4xMSAA, 5 Alpha Blends and Z bufferring techniques all free. And Remedy say thats true. So either people are trying to talk BS or have no clue how this works. Also it's amazing how many people havent a clue about AA. Wait till I post the AA wiki stuff.

I'm just saying that instead of going for PR pieces you should delve a bit more deeply in the technical side of things before starting a technical argumentation. The embedded eDRAM is a great addition, but it doesn't offer "everything for free" in many real use cases. Once again, Google for it and you'll find the exact references.

And you're wrong about KZ2. Google for it and you'll find that they're actually doing a supersampling Quincunx. Which also falls in the category of MSAA techniques. It's not like there's a switch between just two ways to perform AA. On PC games you'll often find a plug-in system for antaliasing resorting to very standard techniques because it has to run on a variety of hardware, where on consoles you code "close to the metal" and tend to employ less standard techniques, more tweaked to your precise goal. As such your repeated appeals to PC game settings make little sense: there's not such thing as "the" MSAA technique but a whole molteplicity of them and they won't always give better results than Quincunx or edge detection/blur, depending on things such as other post effects.

In your third paragraph you once again state something (the bolded) that is untrue in general, true in cases that don't put together resolutions of 720p / 10 bit hdr / 32bit z-buffer. It was a godsend for many multiplatform games and engines, allowing indeed a "free"  and quick MSAA on the 360.

Such is not the case when you want more complex setups. Which is why Halo 3 is sub-hd (they wanted their HDR over the resolution) or why quoting Remedy:

I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with our shipping solution. We hate dithering and aliasing just as much as you I think. Hardware 4xAA on the Xbox360 is nice for a lot of things - it did take us a while to get the most out of it (E.g, refactoring the renderer quite a few times).

Shadow aliasing doesn't really have anything to do with the generic framebuffer resolution or aliasing quality, but having the game run with 4xAA in the framebuffer is kind of rubbing in any other visual quality problems there might be.

Please note that there's no mention of getting anything "for free" in this case. Actuallywe hear about them having to redesign their renderer around it. As always when someone wants to get the most out of a console there was a lot of work in overcoming the limitations of the hardware. That's the case with the PS3, using SPEs for pixel-processing when it makes sense. That's the case with the 360, designing your engine to use the limited 10MB of eDRAM to its best. A totally different scenario from the "free" AA that many quick and dirty engine jobs indeed got, but with much less interesting final overall results.

And btw, the second part of the Remedy guy's answer should be a hint of what others already told you: shadow aliasing has nothing to do with the framebuffer AA. It's about how shadows are calculated on the surfaces they hit, not about how they are translated to the pixel grid. And it's a whole different issue from what you employ full sceen AA for.

Finally, can you please links to factual evidence that:

1) Alan Wake will employ full-screen 4xMSAA ( the quotes I myself reported don't say that, as they may be talking about 4xAA on specific tiles)

2) it's the first ever console game to do so, ie all other games people mentioned such as Heavenly Sword are not doing 4xMSAA (I got the notion that HS does 1280x720 4xMSAA from the pixel-counters threads at Beyond3D)

Great response. This reply should be right below the OP... I'm really waiting for him to reply to this, though I highly doubt it'll be satisfying in any shape or form... We may have to call it /thead ?

jefforange89 said:
"Possibly the most technically advanced game your going to see in at least 2 years! Halo Reach."

This made me laugh.

Unless you mean just on 360?

Or maybe just on consoles. Graphics aren't the most technically impressive aspects... it's the sheer number of functioning AI's that the game will have.

^sure, sure. You know you can have a "sheer number" of SIMPLE AND STUPID functioning AIs, right?