By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos is such a lame character

I have to agree with the blood... that's the only thing that's meh about the game... it looks weird x.x

Around the Network
Pilat said:
my troll sens is tiiggiling

Best post ever.

Scoobes said:
Well... in terms of depth and just genrally being original most video game character are lame as they're generally very one dimensional:

Master Chief? lame
Marcus Fenix? lame
Lara Croft? lame (although the models and Angelina Jolie are hot)
The Prince? lame
Most Final Fantasy characters? generic and lame
Duke Nukem? funny, perverted, but still lame
Nathan Drake? interesting and funny, but fairly generic
Every character in Resident Evil? lame

If you want an interesting character play Planescape Torment or a Bioware game.

Let me counter these points

• Master Chief- He doesnt do shit so i kinda agree hes lame.
  • Marcus Fenix - Boring and Stale as shit
  • Lara Croft - Hawt
  • The Prince- Dont give a shit about him
  • FF Characters JRPG Characters - Agree there all the same, just like i mentioned in the other thread about Anime characters.

How can you say Drake is Lame? Hes the new bad ass! Hes not 6 foot 7 with a red mohawk and ex body builder screaming about some bullshit with no personality. Its those things he doesn't have which makes him a bad ass. Hes different and people like it. 

When he said "Great, power's out, and a girl's trapped. I swear to God, if there's a zombie around the next corner..." That automatically makes him better than 90% of game characters.

Alic0004 said:
twesterm said:
Scoobes said:
Well... in terms of depth and just genrally being original most video game character are lame as they're generally very one dimensional:

Master Chief? lame
Marcus Fenix? lame
Lara Croft? lame (although the models and Angelina Jolie are hot)
The Prince? lame
Most Final Fantasy characters? generic and lame
Duke Nukem? funny, perverted, but still lame
Nathan Drake? interesting and funny, but fairly generic
Every character in Resident Evil? lame

If you want an interesting character play Planescape Torment or a Bioware game.

But at least those lame/generic characters change things up.

From what I seeonly in random trailers, gifs, advertisements, ect:

• Master Chief has multiplayer, shoots guns, and drives vehicles.
  • Fenix has multiplayer, has a chainsaw, shoots guns, and at least tries to have something other than super macho-man xtreme attitude
  • Lara Croft...
  • The Prince (I don't actually play or pay attention to these games >_>)
  • Final Fantasy characters - agree, but at least there are a lot of them so they spread out the bad
  • Duke Nukem - kicks ass, is funny
  • Nathan Drake - platforms, shoots, like a movie
  • Resident Evil - atmosphere, shooting, story
  • God of War - he's always brutal

I think the only time I haven't seen Kratos do burtal stuff was around when God of War II came out and he was trying to kill himself by jumping off a cliff or something like that.  In that one time I actually heard more than grunts and killing!  Other than that, it's ripping guys heads off, ripping their nails off, cutting through them, same ol, same ol.

It's actually sad that any other character from any other game doing any of the things Kratos does on a regular basis would be bad-ass but since it's all Kratos does when he does it, it just seems boring.

Those other above characters may be able to be simplified into simple one dimensional things, but at least they have some sort of variety and that's what I'm getting at. 

Any time anything God of War is mentioned, it's only Kratos being brutal.  Unless you played  and loved the game, you have no reason to assume he's anything other than boring and lame.  Why would I want to play a game that every advertisement about it makes me think he's boring?

Really Twesterm?  Really?

I actually agree with you that Kratos is a pretty one-dimensional character.  I think you probably meant one-dimensional rather than generic, since as Torillian pointed out, if you're using the word correctly, there would have to be a few other characters very similar to Kratos before you can give him the generic badge.

But despite the fact that I think I agree with you, I have to say, that list you made could be picked apart by any grammar phobic twelve year old fanboy on this site.

Unless you were trying to prove that every character on that list is actually as generic or more generic and one-dimensional than Kratos?  Marcus Fenix is unique because he has guns?(??)  He's in a world that could be any other space-marine-against-the-insects sci fi world, he has classic and undeveloped problems with authority, he's the white guy who keeps his cool when his uber tough ethnic sidekicks get completely broken by the bad guys on his journey to becoming a hero.  That's the freaking guide book on making a hero for a groan-worthy action movie.  I'll give you the chainsaw bayonets, though.  Completely awesome.  (We'll ignore the fact that the main melee weapon in Warhammer 40k, which has been around for over two decades, is a chainsword.)

I also think this thread is in questionable taste when you've readily admitted that the frustration with other people's hype has led you to say how much you hate a character based on trailers and animated gifs.

(So all that hate for Kratos isn't coming from playing the actual game.  It's coming from getting annoyed at people who are talking about and posting gifs of him on a message board.  Which you've got to admit sounds pretty lame.)

• Master Chief has multiplayer, shoots guns, and drives vehicles.
  • Fenix has multiplayer, has a chainsaw, shoots guns, and at least tries to have something other than super macho-man xtreme attitude
  • Lara Croft...
  • The Prince (I don't actually play or pay attention to these games >_>)
  • Final Fantasy characters - agree, but at least there are a lot of them so they spread out the bad
  • Duke Nukem - kicks ass, is funny
  • Nathan Drake - platforms, shoots, like a movie
  • Resident Evil - atmosphere, shooting, story
  • God of War - he's always brutal
  • wow, so amazingly not generic characetr because they have guns !

it is ok , it confirms what I said before :  this is a joke thread  ;)

at least, he proved that Kratos was less generic than the average videogame character

Time to Work !

RVDondaPC said:
    Lostplanet22 said:
    What Kratos miss is a sense of humour;.....Like other tough guys....Duke Nukem, Marcus Phenix. Would make it more interesting.

That would defeat the purpose of the Kratos Character. A sense of humor has absolutely no place in the God Of War games. 

Exactly. Kratos pulling off Helios' head would be ruined by a one liner, like "Don't lose your head, Helios". It's a serious game.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I just have to ask, why do you hate sony so much? I never see you say anything good about anything sony.

Also he is one of the most unique video characters around.

Sure he is bald so what. How many people have the ashes of their family attached to their skin? So generic right?

Kratos is a very emotionally complex person. Everyday he must live with he fact that he killed his family. Every day he must live with the rage of what the gods did to him. He searches for something that will allow him to forget his past. How many of us can say we don't want to forget things of our past?

Also more about his design. First off he is a white greek person with the facial features found mostly in people of African decent. That is pretty unique right there too. Normally if a person is white in a game, they are all white. Black they are all black. However he is not.

Also, how many people would not be "only brutal" in combat in a war where everything is trying to kill you? Ever seen First Blood? I am sure you would think rambo is just as shallow in that movie and not watch it. But oh look he cries at the end. You have to KNOW the story to see how complex someone is. Looking at some gifs of him KILLING STUFF wont tell you anything about his emotions.

tldr: Fanboy. You never even gave him a chance because you hate sony. Good day.

SPOILERS!!!!!!
    SPOILERS!!!!!!
    SPOILERS!!!!!!
    SPOILERS!!!!!!
    SPOILERS!!!!!!

Oh yeah, you didn't play through the first god of war. If you had, you would have seen where 1 he tries to kill himself(guilt) 2 where he held his family and cried(remorse/guilt/love) where he begged for ares to save his life(fear, love of life). Or in two when he was upset about what Zeus did to his army. How how he killed the last spartan. What about the moment when he killed Athena? All you see "Made by Sony only for playstation? hate it. He is generic and sucks move on now"

I still want to know what the bar is for a good character. Who is Kratos being compared to?

i think shepard from ME2 is more boring than kratos.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

gustave154 said:
    i think shepard from ME2 is more boring than kratos.

agreed ^

The way the GOW story presents itself, Kratos is certainly neither bright nor incredibly interesting, he's basically your standard "bad-ass" that so many games have as stars nowadays and (sadly) will continue to.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"