By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos is such a lame character

twesterm said:
Kantor said:
twesterm said:

Show me a trailer, advertisement, random animated gif that shows me all that please.  I don't remember any for the first two games or Chains of Olympus and everything I have seen of God of War III leads me to believe the same (even though I know it will have those).

There you go again with the trailers/advertisment/GIFs thing.

Go on, I challenge you to find a trailer of Marcus Fenix, or Master Chief, or Dante, or the Prince, picking daisies, or doing the can-can, or whatever else it is you expect them to do. The Mad World Gears trailer is considered an excellent one (and it is), and what is it? A big guy running down a street and shooting a giant monster. How one-dimensional that is.

The simple fact is that these people are action heroes. They are marketed as such because that is what they are. Kratos is marketed as a badass because he is a badass. Greek mythology is violent. Kratos is violent. The presentation of violence is one aspect in which GoW is head and shoulders above most game series, so that is what Sony wants to advertise.

To be honest...I thought that was pretty pathetic. Fenix displays nothing resembling emotion in either game, and the thought of him lying in a garden, in the shade of a tree...

So, you would like a trailer of Kratos lying under a tree and sighing?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
twesterm said:
Kantor said:
twesterm said:

Show me a trailer, advertisement, random animated gif that shows me all that please.  I don't remember any for the first two games or Chains of Olympus and everything I have seen of God of War III leads me to believe the same (even though I know it will have those).

There you go again with the trailers/advertisment/GIFs thing.

Go on, I challenge you to find a trailer of Marcus Fenix, or Master Chief, or Dante, or the Prince, picking daisies, or doing the can-can, or whatever else it is you expect them to do. The Mad World Gears trailer is considered an excellent one (and it is), and what is it? A big guy running down a street and shooting a giant monster. How one-dimensional that is.

The simple fact is that these people are action heroes. They are marketed as such because that is what they are. Kratos is marketed as a badass because he is a badass. Greek mythology is violent. Kratos is violent. The presentation of violence is one aspect in which GoW is head and shoulders above most game series, so that is what Sony wants to advertise.

To be honest...I thought that was pretty pathetic. Fenix displays nothing resembling emotion in either game, and the thought of him lying in a garden, in the shade of a tree...

So, you would like a trailer of Kratos lying under a tree and sighing?

I actually agree on the commercial, but it shows what I'm talking about.

I don't really care what Kratos is doing as long as it shows me that it's something other than being brutal for 10+ hours.  Something like Gears of War may have zero emotion but at least I can look at it and think there might be something else to it, I can't say that for God of War.

And yes, don't worry, I think Fenix is pretty meh too, though not quite as much as Kratos.  At least Gears has the Cole Train. :-p

And I'm done with this topic for a while because hooray weekend! (long Friday today was -_-)

Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

Which you know... is CONTEXT. If you just said "I like diehard because it's AWESOME" people would have no clue what that means... and would be a meaningless statement.

I felt no need to explain what has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread, including a lengthy post by myself about why Kratos is the way he is.

My context was already there.

Not really the case... but I don't feel like argueing to much more over it.

It is the case actually since I already mentioned in this very thread why he is awesome, I can't really be blamed if you didn't read my earlier posts, but don't worry about it, I am only trying to pass time until me and my lady watch The Office.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Kratos is the Steven Seagal of action games! That particular thing that you can't really decide for sure whether he's better or worse than Chuck Norris, although you know for sure that unlike the archetype of toughness, he can't get Mother Teresa pregnant with a roundhouse kick.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

Which you know... is CONTEXT. If you just said "I like diehard because it's AWESOME" people would have no clue what that means... and would be a meaningless statement.

I felt no need to explain what has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread, including a lengthy post by myself about why Kratos is the way he is.

My context was already there.

Not really the case... but I don't feel like argueing to much more over it.

It is the case actually since I already mentioned in this very thread why he is awesome, I can't really be blamed if you didn't read my earlier posts, but don't worry about it, I am only trying to pass time until me and my lady watch The Office.

Wait... your not a woman?  For some reason I always thought you were.

Regardless, that's still not the case because... although I didn't want to get into it... you fell back on "He's awesome".

Which would be seen as a retreat away from your original post into a statement towards a broad statement with no reasoning.

Also the office has been nothing but downhill.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Man what would you have thought about this kind of topic as a mod? For reals

@jesus kung fu magic

It would appear that our different readings of the character are not reconcilable, so the last word is yours.

That I agree with......its refreshing to actually discuss with someone who actually played the game without tinted glasses....I cant tell you how many times ive discussed this game with someone who (judging by their post) havent even played the game and are going by it being a ps3 exclusive as its only important merit.

I love the series, in fact individually I would put each of the GOW games second in HnS(with bayonetta as number 1) ,  and when one game in a series that I like isnt up to par or completely dropped the ball then I will be vocal about it.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Kasz216 said:

Wait... your not a woman?  For some reason I always thought you were.

Regardless, that's still not the case because... although I didn't want to get into it... you fell back on "He's awesome".

Which would be seen as a retreat away from your original post into a statement towards a broad statement with no reasoning.

Also the office has been nothing but downhill.

You thought I was a woman? O_o

I also just submit to your argument because I don't know where it's going. You said what was most interesting about him and I just wanted to respond with that. Didn't think it would go that far, lol.

I also just began watching The Office 3+ weeks ago and I am now up to the most recent episode I believe "Saleman and Manager" or "Manager and Saleman", can't remember, but I agree it went downhill. The show kind of changed once Pam and Jim actually got to be with eachother. I liked it more when they weren't and they would just play pranks on Dwight all the time. I especially liked when Jim came in dressed up as Dwight.

But enough with the off topic I guess huh?

Now I am off to play some Heavy Rain.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I can't believe you're saying Kratos is "Generic" when he really was the first of his kind. Before him there really weren't any other "Badass" and brutal characters from video games. So by saying he is "Generic" is more complimentary because Kratos somewhat started the trend.

Its ok your just a little self conscious twesterm

What we want from Kratos:

A little emotion, stop killing everything

cry a little, it does help release emotional pain

Kratos needs to stop releasing ( Gifs, trailors, pics) of him killing so much, how about holding a flower or a cup of tea sometimes.

If we ignore the last two games, the stories, the great amount time spent trying to get those puzzles done, the emotional anguish that made the man kill himself, I think Twesterm has a point.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)