By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos is such a lame character

Scoobes said:
twesterm said:
Scoobes said:

A lot of the stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with the character and everything to do with the game, which isn't really what we're debating. I still think Kratos is as lame as 90% of video game characters. It's just the video game characters generally are lame and generic and really a bit crap compared to characters in other media. The remaining 10% is golden though.

You completely missed the point.  The point is that I see other characters doing variety.  I see no variety what-so-ever in God of War and it makes the amazing seem mundane.

I know these characters don't have depth and do things every other game does, but at least they do more than one thing.

Variety? Most of the characters just shoot or climb or a mixture of the two. Kratos slashes, climbs, spins chains around and uses magic. Neither more or less variety really. Yes he doesn't change his attitude and desire for vengeance, but then that's kinda the point... ya know, like 300. And you started the thread talking about the character, not the game. Variety is more a complaint about the game and gameplay than the character, no?

He has different attacks but it's still just him doing the same things (not I am talking about just advertisements and such, should have made that clear in the OP, oh well).

Every time you see him it's always just him being brutal and it's boring.

If you take something like Uncharted I see Drake hanging off stuff, shooting people, quircky dialogue and characters.  There's variety there.

The fact that everything you see of Kratos is him ripping off a dude's head, ripping some giants fingernail off, or ripping some skeleton/giant things eyes out it just gets boring and makes him seem lame.

Drake is by far the less fantastic character but he is infinitely more interesting.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

300 was a very lame movie as well.

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

I think the most interested point about Kratos is that he is awesome.

That in no way makes sense.

For me it makes perfect sense.

It just doesn't make sense to you.

No... that just doesn't make sense at all. It's like saying you like Die hard because Die Hard is great. It holds no context.

Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

No... that just doesn't make sense at all. It's like saying you like Die hard because Die Hard is great. It holds no context.

Try thinking of "awesome" in this case meaning awesome in the more classical sense - as in everything he does is on a grandiose scale and exaggerated for the sake of spectacle. Some of the things he does are awe-inspiring, hence Kratos himself is awesome.

twesterm said:
Scoobes said:

Variety? Most of the characters just shoot or climb or a mixture of the two. Kratos slashes, climbs, spins chains around and uses magic. Neither more or less variety really. Yes he doesn't change his attitude and desire for vengeance, but then that's kinda the point... ya know, like 300. And you started the thread talking about the character, not the game. Variety is more a complaint about the game and gameplay than the character, no?

He has different attacks but it's still just him doing the same things (not I am talking about just advertisements and such, should have made that clear in the OP, oh well).

Every time you see him it's always just him being brutal and it's boring.

If you take something like Uncharted I see Drake hanging off stuff, shooting people, quircky dialogue and characters.  There's variety there.

The fact that everything you see of Kratos is him ripping off a dude's head, ripping some giants fingernail off, or ripping some skeleton/giant things eyes out it just gets boring and makes him seem lame.

Drake is by far the less fantastic character but he is infinitely more interesting.

So you're saying Sony should be advertising him better? Fair enough, I guess the brutallity can get a bit overwhelming to the point of boredom. That's actually partly why I avoid trailers for most games now.

Considering the epic nature of the series, (granted I am not a GOW fan) he seems underwhelming. All you seem to hear from him is manly grunt after manly grunt. Name me three good lines he has said. You can't. You simply can't.

Human contact, the final frontier.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

it's called play god of war II

mM
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

I really don't know what would make me happy.

Perhaps if they showed off more than just Kratos doing brutal things?

I don't have a problem with brutality in games but God of War just makes it seem to boring.

It's like if they showed Mario only jumping gaps, or Drake only platforming, or Master Chief only driving the warthog, or any other iconic character doing only one of their iconic things.

If I only see the same over and over and over and over again it just gets boring.  I don't know, does Kratos do anything else iconic?  Show me anything that makes me believe he's more than brutal and more brutal.

Like I've said, I don't really play God of War and these gifs, trailers, sigs, ect make me want to play it even less because I felt like I've already seen it all and I'm already bored of it.

Twesterm the more you talk about this the more it's clear that you're not familiar with the character and not really equipped to participate in the discussion you started

I've made it very clear I'm only going off of trailers, gifs, and random pics others have posted.  I know full and well actually I am completely ignorant on the game itself.

For every other iconic character they are more than just brutal, platformer, smooth talker, whatever in their trailers or advertisements.  Kratos is just brutal and the fact everyone shoves it in your face just makes him boring.

You are consistently admitting that you are not equipped to discuss this...and yet, you continue to discuss it.

Let's see what Kratos has done, other than kill things.

• Climbed out of Hades a good three times.
  • Scaled Mount Olympus
  • Rewound time
  • Travelled to Elysium...then left.

And more.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:

Yes, it does.

The guy rips off heads, the guy stabs harpy's and hop from one to another to get across gaps, the guy rips of Icarus' wings and uses them for himself, the guy escapes hell multiple times, the guy takes down gods.

I really don't really need to sit here and explain myself though.

Die Hard is great because it has shooting, explosions and Bruce Willis.

Friday The 13th is awesome just because it is brutal.

Which you know... is CONTEXT. If you just said "I like diehard because it's AWESOME" people would have no clue what that means... and would be a meaningless statement.

twesterm said:
Scoobes said:
Well... in terms of depth and just genrally being original most video game character are lame as they're generally very one dimensional:

Master Chief? lame
Marcus Fenix? lame
Lara Croft? lame (although the models and Angelina Jolie are hot)
The Prince? lame
Most Final Fantasy characters? generic and lame
Duke Nukem? funny, perverted, but still lame
Nathan Drake? interesting and funny, but fairly generic
Every character in Resident Evil? lame

If you want an interesting character play Planescape Torment or a Bioware game.

But at least those lame/generic characters change things up.

From what I seeonly in random trailers, gifs, advertisements, ect:

• Master Chief has multiplayer, shoots guns, and drives vehicles.
  • Fenix has multiplayer, has a chainsaw, shoots guns, and at least tries to have something other than super macho-man xtreme attitude
  • Lara Croft...
  • The Prince (I don't actually play or pay attention to these games >_>)
  • Final Fantasy characters - agree, but at least there are a lot of them so they spread out the bad
  • Duke Nukem - kicks ass, is funny
  • Nathan Drake - platforms, shoots, like a movie
  • Resident Evil - atmosphere, shooting, story
  • God of War - he's always brutal

I think the only time I haven't seen Kratos do burtal stuff was around when God of War II came out and he was trying to kill himself by jumping off a cliff or something like that.  In that one time I actually heard more than grunts and killing!  Other than that, it's ripping guys heads off, ripping their nails off, cutting through them, same ol, same ol.

It's actually sad that any other character from any other game doing any of the things Kratos does on a regular basis would be bad-ass but since it's all Kratos does when he does it, it just seems boring.

Those other above characters may be able to be simplified into simple one dimensional things, but at least they have some sort of variety and that's what I'm getting at. 

Any time anything God of War is mentioned, it's only Kratos being brutal.  Unless you played  and loved the game, you have no reason to assume he's anything other than boring and lame.  Why would I want to play a game that every advertisement about it makes me think he's boring?

If we go by the characters you mentioned above describing "variety" (almost everyone on that list either shoots, shoots some more or shoots and jumps, shoots and drives, shoots and has a story, shoots shoots shoots)  Kratos solves puzzles, has plenty of platforming sequences, scale unlike any other game, does have a story that can be interesting if you let it, is brutal on top of all of that but is much deeper than you're making it out to be.  With this post you completely discredited your opinion if you believe that these games have more variety than god of war, the many different weapons, magic and tools at kratos' disposal provide plenty of variety to the combat if you decide to utilize them, and going off of the interview on gttv sounds like youll need to utilize more than just kratos' blades this time around.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB