By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

It won't, PS3 will conti... 529 59.24%

First Quarter (Jan-March) 24 2.69%

Second Quarter (Apr-June) 108 12.09%

Third Quarter (July-Sept) 147 16.46%

Fourth Quarter (Oct-Dec) 84 9.41%

Total:892

With the retro eyes on it looks like Qtr 3 was when the 360 began to outsell the PS3 WW it has actually happened already (Well one week at any rate) and the gap will widen once the new model becomes available globally.

I am sceptical of GT5 having sufficient impact to prevent this from turning into the remaining year belonging to the 360 but it remains the only serious fly in the ointment.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
Squilliam said:

If all else remains the same, the Xbox 360 redesign has set back the regular overtake rate by 3 weeks or so just this week alone. Probably once all is said and done, the Xbox 360 would have gained about a quarter or so assuming no other factor is involved.

Beyond that it gets messy. How do you quantify the effect of a hardware redesign? In the case of the PS3 slim there'd probably be very little change in demand as there was no significant advantage for people to get the new console over the old whereas with the Xbox 360 there were some very real reliability and noise concerns and even the lack of Wifi may effect sales somewhat as the Xbox 360 previously lacked this feature out of the box. Even a 5% change in base demand again ignoring everything else changes the longer term sales differential between the two systems but only in respect to timing.

Where it gets messier even still is the issue of price cuts and motion controls. It could mean nothing which results in the above factors likely netting another 3-6 months lead time for the Xbox 360 or it could mean a great deal and make the above irrelevant to the overall sales differential in the favour of the PS3 or Xbox 360.

for the first time ever i'm agreeing with Squilliam.

steverhcp02 said:
Hyruken said:
steverhcp02 said:
Hyruken said:

And just like that 65% of this forum are wrong......

Nice to see my 2nd quarter prediction was spot on :)

Congrats on your crystal ball skills predicting a price cut would push 360 above PS3.

However, from my remembering of this thread from a while back, wasnt the beef of the this pointing towards "trends" in the shrinking gap back in janurary and february? and YTD the PS3 and pulled in a 1.1 million lead WW.

PESPECTIVE: 360 has a price cut down and Slim launch, thus appealing to repurcheses and new prucheses (older models) in its largest region which accounts for 63% of its WW sales this year.

Now some quick maths, with the aforementioned numbers, the average the PS3 has outsold the 360 on a weekly basis was 48k....i simply took 1.1 million divided by 23 weeks so far this year......

soooo i guess a price cut and remodel in the region accounting for 63% of its weekly totals this year and 56% of its existing userbase is something to try to rub in the face of users.....but the logical thinker in me says you may want to hold back on your false alarm victory here, chief.

There is no false alarm, the 360 just outsold the PS3 worldwide. That was the question. If you go back over peoples replies your see quite clearly two type of people, the realists and the dreamers. One side said "when 360 get's a price cut" and the other said "PS3 will continue to outsell 360 every week". The fact that 65% of the forum were the latter is quite damning.

Yes, unless im istaken but rereading the thread and even looking at the ittle...this wasnt about a single week. "when will the 360 START...." implies it will gradually overtake and even your posts suggest, including your initial arguments, it would be on th eback of strong software, a price cut (you seem to be speaking WW price cut) and Kinect.

You posted the weekly shrinking gap as evidence its creeping and will thus eventually overtake the PS3 WW sales due to the aforementioned variables. What we have a seen is you be completely wrong in you "weekly trends" from early this year, and the 360's strongest market by far with a price cut and remodel put it ahead, with what will probably be its largest spike by a mere 50k consoles......

I say false alarm because this thread, and you can try to deny it now, was never meant to be a "predict the week when the 360 finally outsellf the PS3 WW" This thread was a debate an dguessing game as to when the 360 will START as in, begin and continue to outsell the PS3 WW....thus i say false alarm because this is not a trend, as your original arguments sugested and the basis of what this thread was....

Once you were so completely wrong based on the fact the PS3 went on to sell 1.1 million more consoles this year, i can understand why youd alter the original intent of this thread...but this not the turning point, its a spike, and albeit not a major one which is turning any WW tide. Thus, false alarm to your victory dance

Is it still a false alarm? looks like the tide has turned. 

I think the redesign 360 will give the brand a good push for the rest of the year.  The discount on the older stock will add some decent numbers but most prefer the new look.  I got one and its soooo quiet also a major factor noone is dicussing is the wifi in the new 360 destroys the ps3's.  I have my 60gig fat PS3 and the new 360 S hooked up and that wifi N in 360 leaves my PS3 in the dust.

DevilishSix said:

I think the redesign 360 will give the brand a good push for the rest of the year.  The discount on the older stock will add some decent numbers but most prefer the new look.  I got one and its soooo quiet also a major factor noone is dicussing is the wifi in the new 360 destroys the ps3's.  I have my 60gig fat PS3 and the new 360 S hooked up and that wifi N in 360 leaves my PS3 in the dust.

Wi-Fi should be banned for gaming, it will always be slower than wired. However M$ actually has the best Wi-Fi you can get so it will only add 5 ping or so over wired unlike PS3 20 plus . But still 5ping... Does a cord really bother people that much?

Around the Network

I prefer wired, but at this point with all the devices hooked up to my router, 3 laptops, 2 xbox 360's, and a PS3 all hooked from different rooms makes it a wire nightmare, sometimes wireless has to be used.  In this case, all other things equal, the 360's wifi is much better.

DevilishSix said:

I prefer wired, but at this point with all the devices hooked up to my router, 3 laptops, 2 xbox 360's, and a PS3 all hooked from different rooms makes it a wire nightmare, sometimes wireless has to be used.  In this case, all other things equal, the 360's wifi is much better.

This adds one more reason for me to get the new 360.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

In my original post I meant B not T obviously.  Even Ninty won't reach 1 Trillion software.  Unless this gen ends in 6010.  Unlikely.  The Ice Age will have disrupted power grids.  Mile-deep ice as far south as Chesapeake Bay again will discourage SMG2000 fans and even some real estate agents.  Jmo.

Short term, Wii will be back in 2nd soon and PS3 will retake 3rd more than once between now and 2011.  That doesn't change the fact that this weeks 360 nos. are impressive and a little surprising.  Chill.

Recon1O1 said:

In my original post I meant B not T obviously.  Even Ninty won't reach 1 Trillion software.  Unless this gen ends in 6010.  Unlikely.  The Ice Age will have disrupted power grids.  Mile-deep ice as far south as Chesapeake Bay again will discourage SMG2000 fans and even some real estate agents.  Jmo.

Short term, Wii will be back in 2nd soon and PS3 will retake 3rd more than once between now and 2011.  That doesn't change the fact that this weeks 360 nos. are impressive and a little surprising.  Chill.

Don't you mean 360 in 2nd? And what do you mean back? Its been 3rd for quite some time now. On a week to week basis.

Jo21 said:
mundus6 said:

It begins, when slim is released here in Europe. 360 will be ahead every week WW (except in Japan) untill Sony cut price.

gran turismo its releasing this year.. so europe not likely

Are you sure?

You mean this year like

march 2009

holiday 2009

march 2010?

Maybe it's the fact that Sony was once on top of the mountain in this industry, and the fall from grace has been swift and brutal. The worst thing about being on top is the fall to the bottom, and maybe the transition from PS2 dominance to PS3 heel-dragging has had a damaging effect on the fanboy psyche, leaving them vulnerable and insecure. Maybe fanboys are suffering from a severe case of paranoid delusion, brought about by denial that the PS3 is in third place when once Sony was leading the charge.

-- Jim Sterling