By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

It won't, PS3 will conti... 529 59.24%

First Quarter (Jan-March) 24 2.69%

Second Quarter (Apr-June) 108 12.09%

Third Quarter (July-Sept) 147 16.46%

Fourth Quarter (Oct-Dec) 84 9.41%

Total:892

We have a "When will PS3 outsell 360" thread so lets even it up a bit by creating a "when will 360 outsell PS3" one too.

Before we begin lets look at some numbers!

The gap in weekly sales the first 6 weeks between the two has gone like this

gap between PS3 worldwide sales and 360 sales in 2010
week 1 = 93k
week 2 = 58k  down 35k
week 3 = 45k  down 13k
week 4 = 38k  down 7k
week 5 = 23k  down 15k
week 6 = 17k  down 6k

Each week the gap has decreased. Is this a pattern set to continue or will this change? What do you think?

Me personally i think 360 could start to outsell PS3 worldwide again in second quarter. Which would be a fatal blow to the PS3's chances of finishing 2nd this gen, due to the fact the last few months of the year deffinatly favour 360 in terms of games (Halo Reach and Fable 3+Natal). But more so because it is obvious around E3 it will get a price cut. Its first for 2 years. Which IN MY OPINION will see the 360 sales probably spike to its highest sales.

Around the Network

PS3 will stay ahead as long as 360 is dead in Japan or until 360 gets another price cut.

@ Hyruken: Why would they cut the price then? People also seem to think they won't cut the price because of the money Natal will cost them and that they will just keep the same price, but with more bang for the buck, I thought.

And those temporary (two months long) price cuts don't count apparently :p

I think september / october will be when MS starts firing all cilinders.

I'd say when Halo:Reach launches, Microsoft will start advertising like hell, and it will outsell PS3 for a while.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Hmm, what does the gap change look like percent-wise? The time of year impacts total sales for both platforms, and consequently the gap is impacted, so a percent-wise comparison would be more useful.

Personally I expect it to start outselling PS3 when it gets a price cut. Which should happen in the second quarter unless MS decides to hold out for Natal.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Only with a price cut, or perhaps the launch of Natal. Not too sure about Halo: Reach.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

papflesje said:
@ Hyruken: Why would they cut the price then? People also seem to think they won't cut the price because of the money Natal will cost them and that they will just keep the same price, but with more bang for the buck, I thought.

Well the reason i think then is basically because it would be 2 years exact since the last price cut.

But also because in the next 5 months until then both PS3 and 360 numbers will once again go through the saturation point we saw in 08.

They will need something to drive sales into the holidays. PS3 did this last year and 360 the year before.

Microsoft have invested heavily in Natal. And the one thing we know about Microsoft is when they spend loads on creating something they will advertise the shit out of it! The Natal being sold on its own i doubt will make a huge increase in sales of the console. Naturally a price cut will.

I think 360 will be £99 in UK by end of the year and will be able to get the Natal bundle for around £129 with its version of Wii sports....

That in my view will stimulate sales mainly due to the £99 tag. We have seen it before, especially with the PS2. Plus i think MS would want that tag of being the 1st to get into double digits price tag, it just sounds like their kind of thing.

I think a lot of people have overestimated 2010 and not looked at the bigger picture, or even at recent history.

Price cut will be help.

But this is like this every year, 360 or PS3 has the lead early, one get a pricecut in September and runs away with the lead.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Hyruken said:
papflesje said:

Well the reason i think then is basically because it would be 2 years exact since the last price cut.

But also because in the next 5 months until then both PS3 and 360 numbers will once again go through the saturation point we saw in 08.

They will need something to drive sales into the holidays. PS3 did this last year and 360 the year before.

Microsoft have invested heavily in Natal. And the one thing we know about Microsoft is when they spend loads on creating something they will advertise the shit out of it! The Natal being sold on its own i doubt will make a huge increase in sales of the console. Naturally a price cut will.

I think 360 will be £99 in UK by end of the year and will be able to get the Natal bundle for around £129 with its version of Wii sports....

That in my view will stimulate sales mainly due to the £99 tag. We have seen it before, especially with the PS2. Plus i think MS would want that tag of being the 1st to get into double digits price tag, it just sounds like their kind of thing.

I think a lot of people have overestimated 2010 and not looked at the bigger picture, or even at recent history.

the arcade is bascially £99 now, theres been so many offers on it since december.

The PS3 120gb is like 260 pounds in uk while you can get the 360 arcade for 99 pounds (on amazon)
also the ps3 has shortages and here in germany the price of the ps3 suddenly moved from 300 to 350+

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY