By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

Soriku said:
Boutros said:
alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:
Consoles and handhelds should never ever be considered at the same level.

And I agree, the next Nintendo console will prevent the Wii to sell more than the PS2.

Any particular reason? There was a lot of buzz at the time when the PS2 beat the Gameboy as the best selling console so I think it's fair to put the DS and the PS2 in the same race.

Well because it's not the same thing. The price is different, the crowd is different, the games are different.

It's just a different product.

Umm...not really. Both were targeting both core gamers and casuals. The audiences are very much alike, just the DS base is broader. Price doesn't really have anything to do with this considering the GBA hit $100 long before the PS2.

Umm...yes.

I'm the living proof. I don't like handhelds. At all. I don't like the experience and what it offers but that's just my opinion. It's just to show that gaming is not the same on consoles vs handhelds. Different experiences.

Because then we would also have to consider the ipod touch/iphone. I know it didn't sell as much as the DS but it's definitely part of the race.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Soriku said:
Boutros said:
alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:
Consoles and handhelds should never ever be considered at the same level.

And I agree, the next Nintendo console will prevent the Wii to sell more than the PS2.

Any particular reason? There was a lot of buzz at the time when the PS2 beat the Gameboy as the best selling console so I think it's fair to put the DS and the PS2 in the same race.

Well because it's not the same thing. The price is different, the crowd is different, the games are different.

It's just a different product.

Umm...not really. Both were targeting both core gamers and casuals. The audiences are very much alike, just the DS base is broader. Price doesn't really have anything to do with this considering the GBA hit $100 long before the PS2.

Umm...yes.

I'm the living proof. I don't like handhelds. At all. I don't like the experience and what it offers but that's just my opinion. It's just to show that gaming is not the same on consoles vs handhelds. Different experiences.

Because then we would also have to consider the ipod touch/iphone. I know it didn't sell as much as the DS but it's definitely part of the race.

You do know Boutros that soon Apple will be part of the race. I fear it will enter the gaming market as the fourth company.

Snake612 said:
Soonerman said:
Snake612 said:
You guys obviously didn't read the title of thread carefully. I said the "best selling console." Not the best selling handheld. DS without a doubt will be the best selling handheld of all time but not the best selling console of all time because its not "A CONSOLE"! Do you understand?
Btw,Viper1, I know exactly what I'm talking about. My predictions on this site happen to be very accurate. For example, last year, I made a bet with SaviorX that the Wii would not hit 70 million copies by the end of 2009 and guess what? I was right. If you don't believe me, search SaviorX's name up on this site and ask him about it. I'm sure he remembers.

OMG, you guessed right an extremely broad prediction and got it right!!! You're a genius at sales and your thoughts should been acknowledge as if they were coming from experts! By the way, have you seen this chart?!?! Is it me or is the Wii surpassing PS2 sales from launc to the same amount of weeks the Wii is today compared the PS2???? :)

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS2®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weeks=156

If you're saying this, then can you honestly tell me that the Wii will sell 100 million more copies in the next 3 years and surpass the PS2 WW. Because thats what the Wii has to do in order to surpass the PS2 WW. in three years time, the ps2 will be at 155 or 160 million copies worldwide. The Wii is currently at 67.21 million copies WW, so that means the Wii would have to sell 100 million more copies in the netx three years to surpass the PS2. It took 3 1/2 years for the Wii's worlwide sales to be close to 70 million worldwide. You can't honestly tell me the console will sell another 100 million copies in 3 or more years knowing that it took them 3 1/2 years to get close to the 70 million mark.

sure once  you explain which console leader stopped selling right when the next gen started.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ps2 is not a 150 million sold..... ps2 is not going to sell 30 million more... wii is not gonna stop selling in 3 years.... wii is going to sell more than 20-30 millions consoles in 3 years... You failed. BIG time

"If you're saying this, then can you honestly tell me that the Wii will sell 100 million more copies in the next 3 years and surpass the PS2 WW. Because thats what the Wii has to do in order to surpass the PS2 WW. in three years time, the ps2 will be at 155 or 160 million copies worldwide. The Wii is currently at 67.21 million copies WW, so that means the Wii would have to sell 100 million more copies in the netx three years to surpass the PS2. It took 3 1/2 years for the Wii's worlwide sales to be close to 70 million worldwide. You can't honestly tell me the console will sell another 100 million copies in 3 or more years knowing that it took them 3 1/2 years to get close to the 70 million mark."

We aren't talking about three years. We know that the PS2's lead means the Wii will need more time to surpass it.

Our thing is you concluded the OP by predicting the Wii would be discontinued within that time and thus stop selling, which is stupid.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

The Wii, will rule the world. That's it.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

China and India will push the Wii above PS2, and this market will only snowball in the next 10 yrs. That's the biggest fault in your calculations.

Otherwise, DS etc.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

many consoles have had 10+ year lifespans, it isn't exclusive to the ps1 ps2,
lets start at the first successful programble console the atari 2600, the 2600 was manufactured from 1977 to roughly 1990, and it had games developed for it and released commercially until 1991
the intellivison was manufactured from 1979 until 1988, and games were developed until 1990
the sega master system was manufactured from 1986 to the mid to late 90's with the last game being street fighter 2 in 1997,
the genesis was from 1989 to 1998~2000 if you count majesco's support, wow another 10 year console
the ultra niche, ultra high end neo geo was manufacture from 1990 to 1997 with games released all the was until 2004
the nes saw a 10 year lifespan in the west and even longer in Japan, super nintendo saw a 7 year lifespan in the west and longer in Japan
any console which is a viable seller will be supported for as long as possible, it always happens, the ps1 and ps2 weren't anomalies,
the genesis and master system probably could have lasted even longer if not for sega of japan and their infinite wisdom pulling the plug on them in favor of the mild success of the saturn in Japan

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masschamber said:
many consoles have had 10+ year lifespans, it isn't exclusive to the ps1 ps2,
lets start at the first successful programble console the atari 2600, the 2600 was manufactured from 1977 to roughly 1990, and it had games developed for it and released commercially until 1991
the intellivison was manufactured from 1979 until 1988, and games were developed until 1990
the sega master system was manufactured from 1986 to the mid to late 90's with the last game being street fighter 2 in 1997,
the genesis was from 1989 to 1998~2000 if you count majesco's support, wow another 10 year console
the ultra niche, ultra high end neo geo was manufacture from 1990 to 1997 with games released all the was until 2004
the nes saw a 10 year lifespan in the west and even longer in Japan, super nintendo saw a 7 year lifespan in the west and longer in Japan
any console which is a viable seller will be supported for as long as possible, it always happens, the ps1 and ps2 weren't anomalies,
the genesis and master system probably could have lasted even longer if not for sega of japan and their infinite wisdom pulling the plug on them in favor of the mild success of the saturn in Japan

But everybody knows that doesn't count b/c videogames started with the ps introduction ;)

Nice try though

The common knowledge is that "winning" consoles sell for much longer than the rest of their generation.
It is also common knowledge that "winning" consoles get big third party support.

So, the question is this, will the Wii, a console which is supported almost completely by Nintendo, have continued support by them even when their next Console is introduced?
I don't think that Wii will stay as long as the PS2 in the market, however, I don't know if the Wii wil outsell the PS2 at some point or not.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.