By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

RageBot said:
The common knowledge is that "winning" consoles sell for much longer than the rest of their generation.
It is also common knowledge that "winning" consoles get big third party support.

So, the question is this, will the Wii, a console which is supported almost completely by Nintendo, have continued support by them even when their next Console is introduced?
I don't think that Wii will stay as long as the PS2 in the market, however, I don't know if the Wii wil outsell the PS2 at some point or not.

Wii has tons of 3rd party support... it's just mainly shovelware. :/

Actually though, that's not too different from late term (post successor) PS1 and PS2 3rd party support though.  How many AAA 3rd party PS2 games came out in 2007/2008/2009?

Around the Network
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
The common knowledge is that "winning" consoles sell for much longer than the rest of their generation.
It is also common knowledge that "winning" consoles get big third party support.

So, the question is this, will the Wii, a console which is supported almost completely by Nintendo, have continued support by them even when their next Console is introduced?
I don't think that Wii will stay as long as the PS2 in the market, however, I don't know if the Wii wil outsell the PS2 at some point or not.

Actually though, that's not too different from late term (post successor) PS1 and PS2 3rd party support though.  How many AAA 3rd party PS2 games came out in 2007/2008/2009?

Define "AAA"...

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

Define "AAA"...

High quality, high production, high profile games.  Y'know, basically the stuff that Wii doesn't get. :/

The main thing to consider here is when the Next Gen actually begins, see.

Assuming it happens after 3 years, then the OPs prediction could very well hold true.
"best selling console...by the end of this gen"

But as everyone else pointed out, the Wii is NOT gonna stop selling at the end of this gen, and as a result could/may still end up being the best selling console of all time (which may not happen at the end of this gen, but proceeds until the next gen).

So you see the key words in the OP is "...by the end of this gen"

There is no Knowledge that is not Power

jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

Define "AAA"...

High quality, high production, high profile games.  Y'know, basically the stuff that Wii doesn't get. :/

2007: Persona 3, Odin Sphere, Rogue Galaxy

2008: Persona 4, P3: FES

+All of those GH, sport, movie games.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Actually portables are consoles as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console
Often handhelds are separated from home consoles, but pretty much anything goes for overall sales. The OP made it pretty obvious this topic is about home consoles only, but going by the title alone the DS would qualify and most likely be ahead of PS2 by the end of this gen.(And if not then almost certainly lifetime)

"So you see the key words in the OP is "...by the end of this gen""

Wrong. That's in the title. The claim in the actual OP is that the Wii will stop selling and thus will not outsell the PS2 at all.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

Define "AAA"...

Rogue Galaxy's 1st party, the rest are high quality niche sellers... which Wii also gets a good amount of btw, even from these same developers (Atlus R&D1, Vanillaware).

jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

Define "AAA"...

Rogue Galaxy's 1st party, the rest are high quality niche sellers... which Wii also gets a good amount of btw, even from these same developers (Atlus R&D1, Vanillaware).

I didn't know that GH3, FIFA, PES etc are niche titles, good to know though...

I agree with you 120%.