By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

I am still giving the Wii a chance. Imageine KH3 and DQX releasing on the Wii, and with it probably some remakes and more attention of third parties again.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
The common knowledge is that "winning" consoles sell for much longer than the rest of their generation.
It is also common knowledge that "winning" consoles get big third party support.

So, the question is this, will the Wii, a console which is supported almost completely by Nintendo, have continued support by them even when their next Console is introduced?
I don't think that Wii will stay as long as the PS2 in the market, however, I don't know if the Wii wil outsell the PS2 at some point or not.

Wii has tons of 3rd party support... it's just mainly shovelware. :/

Actually though, that's not too different from late term (post successor) PS1 and PS2 3rd party support though.  How many AAA 3rd party PS2 games came out in 2007/2008/2009?

Define "AAA"...

High quality, high production, high profile games.  Y'know, basically the stuff that Wii doesn't get. :/

2007: Persona 3, Odin Sphere, Rogue Galaxy

2008: Persona 4, P3: FES

+All of those GH, sport, movie games.

Rogue Galaxy's 1st party, the rest are high quality niche sellers... which Wii also gets a good amount of btw, even from these same developers (Atlus R&D1, Vanillaware).

I didn't know that GH3, FIFA, PES etc are niche titles, good to know though...

well, no but they're all games on Wii.  Again, I'm trying to figure out exactly what sets late term PS2 3rd party support apart from Wii 3rd party support?

Arius Dion said:
The meltdowns that happen when Wii does pass the PS2 will be hilarious. Gaf might shut down forever, LoL.

lol probably

Snake612 said:

The Wii's current worldwide sales is at 67.21 million copies. At this point its selling somewhere between 250-300k first week worldwide. Those worldwide sales could change at any time this year due to huge title releases,big titles being bundled with the console or the holiday season.

The Wii launched in 2006 and my guess is it could be discontinued by 2012 or 2013 (due to the fact that the average video game generation last 5-6 years)

The Playstation 2 has been on the market since 2000 and it will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of its release in Japan next month.

The current worldwide sales of the PS2 should be around 150 million copies and by the time its discontinued,(which I predicted early 2011), I predict the sales to be at 160 million copies worldwide.

The Wii will probably sell another 20 million copies in the next 2 to 3 years.

The sales of the Wii will be around 90 million copies and by then Nintendo will probably make the decision to discontinue the console.

So by 2011, The PS2 WW sales will be around 160 million copies

and

by 2012 or 2013, The Wii's WW sales will be at 90 or 100 million copies by the time its discontinued

The way I see it, it will be impossible for the Wii to outsell the PS2 in WW sales.

which means the PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time.

Thoughts?

Ofcourse the PS2 will remain the best selling console (not including handhelds). Nintendo screwed up that gen and sold even less units then the new on the market xbox from Microsoft. So mainstream gamers got a PS2 for the eyetoy and singstar. But hardcore gamers also got a PS2 for games such as FF, GTA and many more. Now all those games are multiplatform and Nintendo is dominating the mainstream market. SO the PS2's market is spread across all three consoles now and you'll see many households with a PS2 in the closet and a 360 or Wii under their tv.

RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
The common knowledge is that "winning" consoles sell for much longer than the rest of their generation.
It is also common knowledge that "winning" consoles get big third party support.

So, the question is this, will the Wii, a console which is supported almost completely by Nintendo, have continued support by them even when their next Console is introduced?
I don't think that Wii will stay as long as the PS2 in the market, however, I don't know if the Wii wil outsell the PS2 at some point or not.

Wii has tons of 3rd party support... it's just mainly shovelware. :/

Actually though, that's not too different from late term (post successor) PS1 and PS2 3rd party support though.  How many AAA 3rd party PS2 games came out in 2007/2008/2009?

Define "AAA"...

High quality, high production, high profile games.  Y'know, basically the stuff that Wii doesn't get. :/

2007: Persona 3, Odin Sphere, Rogue Galaxy

2008: Persona 4, P3: FES

+All of those GH, sport, movie games.

Rogue Galaxy's 1st party, the rest are high quality niche sellers... which Wii also gets a good amount of btw, even from these same developers (Atlus R&D1, Vanillaware).

I didn't know that GH3, FIFA, PES etc are niche titles, good to know though...

That said I didnt know GH3, FIFA, PES and "movie games" were classed as triple A titles... now thats good to know

Around the Network

Ok I don't think nintendo will release a new console before the other 2 companies and once one of those 2 companies releases a new console the other will follow because nintendo wii will not stop selling it will actually probably be hard to launch a new system because of the wii cause casual gamers will not know the difference between wii and wii2 and wii will still sell but playstation and microsoft will have to, to compete with eachother and I don't think microsoft will let ps3 take over USA so once ps3 gets cheap 1-2 years later xbox360×2 is here............

The Wii was considerably further behind the "curve" when it was launched than the PS2 was. That's the big reason it won't last 10 years.

Nintendo will announce a DS2 this year at E3. The Wii 2 is next year, and the original Wii *will* disappear from the market later that year.

That's a testament to its success, not some failure like this thread is trying to make it sound. The PS2 has had a long lifespan because it was a good console, and now its a dirt-cheap console wit h a huge, diverse, cheaply priced library.

By the end of 2011 (actually already, I think), the Wii HW alone will have raked in more profit than the PS2 ever can, HW + SW combined. Nintendo will replace it because they can, and because they like profit. The original Wii will not have a place, when the Wii 2 is released -- Nintendo won't chop the price to something abysmal, except to clear inventory and make room for the new hardware.

Ninty likes their high profit margins. There will be no cheap Wii era, ever, except to make room for its successor. Bumping the Wii specs to HD-capable, at this point in time, while remaining fully BC with the GC and the Wii, and maintaining the classic high Nintendo profit margin is already possible. When Iwata, etc. say "much more than HD", they aren't talking high tech, shiny performance. They are talking innovative new gameplay -- not something that will cost them an arm and a leg to produce. That's contrary to Nintendo's business model.

So yep, Snake612 is right.

The Wii will never pass the PS2.  The Wii line (GC, Wii, Wii 2), however, will probably surpass the PlayStation (PS1, PS2, PS3) line in just a few years, because the Wii 2 will likely sell like gangbusters, in 2011+.

someone said ytd wii is about 7million ahead of ps2 so that's 7mill to spare and in sales the wii would only have to last about 7.5years to tie the ps2 and were going on 4 in like 9months and just imagine how wii will sell after its price drops, bundle's and new colors just like the ps3slim boast and wii didn't even need a boast.........

I actually think the next console will also drop GC backwards compatibility, if only to remove those GC controller/card ports. Actually, I could even see a Wii revision doing it.

nintendo doesn't release consoles because 5years passed and neither does sony or microsoft they release consoles to beat current leaders like to get rid of the ps2 or to get rid of the wii, nintendo is last to enter next gen..........