By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

Snake612 said:
You guys obviously didn't read the title of thread carefully. I said the "best selling console." Not the best selling handheld. DS without a doubt will be the best selling handheld of all time but not the best selling console of all time because its not "A CONSOLE"! Do you understand?
Btw,Viper1, I know exactly what I'm talking about. My predictions on this site happen to be very accurate. For example, last year, I made a bet with SaviorX that the Wii would not hit 70 million copies by the end of 2009 and guess what? I was right. If you don't believe me, search SaviorX's name up on this site and ask him about it. I'm sure he remembers.

OMG, you guessed right an extremely broad prediction and got it right!!! You're a genius at sales and your thoughts should been acknowledge as if they were coming from experts! By the way, have you seen this chart?!?! Is it me or is the Wii surpassing PS2 sales from launc to the same amount of weeks the Wii is today compared the PS2???? :)

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=156

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:
Consoles and handhelds should never ever be considered at the same level.

And I agree, the next Nintendo console will prevent the Wii to sell more than the PS2.

Any particular reason? There was a lot of buzz at the time when the PS2 beat the Gameboy as the best selling console so I think it's fair to put the DS and the PS2 in the same race.

Well because it's not the same thing. The price is different, the crowd is different, the games are different.

It's just a different product.

Snake612 said:
Showertea said:
Generations last six years, so the PS2 stopped selling in 2006, right? Completely taken off the market?

That's not what I'm saying. You're missing the point. The gamecube came out in 2001 and was discontinued in 2006. The xbox came out in 2001, discontinued in 2006. The PS2 kep going because of its strong weekly sales and Sony wanted to see the console have a 10 year lifespan. Now that  it will reach its 10th year in japan  by march and in us by october, Sony should discontinue the console in early 2011. That's what i'm trying to say.

Yet you expect Wii to be halted instead of continued sales like PS2?

You do know the NES and SNES continued selling well into the proceeding generations, don't you?   ALL the winning consoles have sold long into the next generation.   The ones that stop are the ones that lost because dev/pub/retail/consumer support itself stops.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Snake612 said:
You guys obviously didn't read the title of thread carefully. I said the "best selling console." Not the best selling handheld. DS without a doubt will be the best selling handheld of all time but not the best selling console of all time because its not "A CONSOLE"! Do you understand?
Btw,Viper1, I know exactly what I'm talking about. My predictions on this site happen to be very accurate. For example, last year, I made a bet with SaviorX that the Wii would not hit 70 million copies by the end of 2009 and guess what? I was right. If you don't believe me, search SaviorX's name up on this site and ask him about it. I'm sure he remembers.

That holds no resanance with your current predictions which fall flat on their face against data, logic, reason, historical context, etc...

Quite literally everything about your prediction runs against the grains....all of it.    I'm not trying to offend you and aprt of me even feels bad for you because of the attacks you're going to endure.   But you've put yourself out there with data projections that just have no valid grounds to support them.

I see that your a Sony fan and every Sony fans wants their console to remain sales king.  And that's understandable.  But check the real data and apply unbiased logic and reason and you'll see that you've made some predictions that you won't be proud of.

1) I'm not a huge sony fan

2) I told you before that my predictions are very accurate. I could understand you not believing me now but maybe we should just wait until the end of this generation

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

The meltdowns that happen when Wii does pass the PS2 will be hilarious. Gaf might shut down forever, LoL.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Snake612 said:
Showertea said:
Generations last six years, so the PS2 stopped selling in 2006, right? Completely taken off the market?

That's not what I'm saying. You're missing the point. The gamecube came out in 2001 and was discontinued in 2006. The xbox came out in 2001, discontinued in 2006. The PS2 kep going because of its strong weekly sales and Sony wanted to see the console have a 10 year lifespan. Now that  it will reach its 10th year in japan  by march and in us by october, Sony should discontinue the console in early 2011. That's what i'm trying to say.

ok i get it, it's a joke right?  gamecube and xbox sold 20 something million.  Wii will sell at least 100 something million.  Gamecube and xbox had tiny market share, wii has huge market share in comparison.  Wii is the market leader, xbox and gamecube are a niche in comparison.  NES and SNES did sell long after the generation because they were generation leaders. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Boutros said:
alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:
Consoles and handhelds should never ever be considered at the same level.

And I agree, the next Nintendo console will prevent the Wii to sell more than the PS2.

Any particular reason? There was a lot of buzz at the time when the PS2 beat the Gameboy as the best selling console so I think it's fair to put the DS and the PS2 in the same race.

Well because it's not the same thing. The price is different, the crowd is different, the games are different.

It's just a different product.

Well, then why not discount the Wii? A large part of its success is by broadly appealing to untapped demographics. Hell, why not discount the PS2, it sold to a helluva lot of casuals. And it was waaaaay cheaper than the PS3; shouldn't count since the price is different.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I think we'll be looking at near 90M sold for the Wii by the end of 2010, let alone 2012 or 2013. However, if the next gen starts in that timeframe('12/'13) then I would agree that the PS2 will still be the best selling home console at the end of this gen. On the other hand, by the end of the next gen I'm pretty sure the Wii will surpass the PS2 in sales. Why do some people think there will be no sales once a successor is launched when obviously the PS2(and most other preceding consoles) has enjoyed a long lifetime afterwards?

Snake612 said:
Viper1 said:
Snake612 said:

That holds no resanance with your current predictions which fall flat on their face against data, logic, reason, historical context, etc...

Quite literally everything about your prediction runs against the grains....all of it.    I'm not trying to offend you and aprt of me even feels bad for you because of the attacks you're going to endure.   But you've put yourself out there with data projections that just have no valid grounds to support them.

I see that your a Sony fan and every Sony fans wants their console to remain sales king.  And that's understandable.  But check the real data and apply unbiased logic and reason and you'll see that you've made some predictions that you won't be proud of.

1) I'm not a huge sony fan

2) I told you before that my predictions are very accurate. I could understand you not believing me now but maybe we should just wait until the end of this generation

Your prediction about Wii selling 20 millions on a period of 3 years is totally false, it will only take this year and soon it will reach the PS2.

And, you do know that when you're not the market leader, like Xbox and GC, you better discontinue the console to force the public to move on the next console.

Soonerman said:
Snake612 said:

OMG, you guessed right an extremely broad prediction and got it right!!! You're a genius at sales and your thoughts should been acknowledge as if they were coming from experts! By the way, have you seen this chart?!?! Is it me or is the Wii surpassing PS2 sales from launc to the same amount of weeks the Wii is today compared the PS2???? :)

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS2®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weeks=156

If you're saying this, then can you honestly tell me that the Wii will sell 100 million more copies in the next 3 years and surpass the PS2 WW. Because thats what the Wii has to do in order to surpass the PS2 WW. in three years time, the ps2 will be at 155 or 160 million copies worldwide. The Wii is currently at 67.21 million copies WW, so that means the Wii would have to sell 100 million more copies in the netx three years to surpass the PS2. It took 3 1/2 years for the Wii's worlwide sales to be close to 70 million worldwide. You can't honestly tell me the console will sell another 100 million copies in 3 or more years knowing that it took them 3 1/2 years to get close to the 70 million mark.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY