By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII (360) Not HD | Resolution, Anti-Aliasing Analyzed

arsenicazure said:
LOL at pics.. prolly explains those 'doctored' shots from SE last week eh? 360 is defntly sub par.. I mean compared to the ps3 version.. it looks.. more jagged, less vibrant ,missing graphics.. compare the water in the 2 pics.. ugghhh.. looks like I'll be buying the ps3slim after all...

Too Bad MS.. its time to a. either kill the arcade/or add a HDD to the arcade/or sell a very cheap HDD to existing arcade users.. coz if DVD space is the SOLE reason for poorer graphics.. the 360 is about to get stiffed from now onwards. Alan wake notwithstanding ofcourse...

Wasn't it reported that the in-game content on the PS3 disc took up only 6.8 GB? (rest reserved for FMV). There's no reason why Square couldn't keep thein-game textures at 720p and then compress the cinematics more to compensate. Or they could have just put it on 4 DVDs like Lost Odyssey. I don't see how Square choosing to downgrade textures (when they had other options) is Microsoft's fault.

I don't get why this is a huge deal. It happens all the time. It just so happens that this is one of the cases where the shoe is on the other foot. If console gamers cared about graphics this much, they should invest in a gaming rig. Bottom line. The PS2 was inferior to the Xbox graphically and yet most gamers didn't seem to give a damn then. This isn't anything new. Thoroughout history, you saw this sort of scenario (one version being superior to another) play out all the time.

Around the Network

^^ I just cant help but feel MS's policy to not include a HDD in every 360 like they did in the XBOX is starting to screw them over. This is one of the examples. MS have so far had the perfect move- they took the best selling series on the PSone/2 and got it for the 360. But this 576p is kinda making the 360 look weaker instead of making them look like equals. The visual differences are apparent, well to me atleast- and a game like FF13 where the visual art is prolly its main selling point- This seems like a HUGE LET DOWN.

It is MS's fault because if the 360 had an install option- they could have made up for the performance hit with higher quality textures and better loading from the HDD. Instead SE had to ensure that the game ran pretty much the same on the arcade/elite/premium.

I was pretty glad that I wouldnt have to shell out cash on the ps3slim and I got my fix at my frnds, but looking at these pics I feel a lil punked. Im gonna be paying the same for a game that requires swapping, features lower quality FMV/audio and now a lower resolution too.. I mean I wouldnt mind if the ps3 had an extra weed in the background or whatever but this is simply a big FAUX PAUX- and SE are gonna lose some potential sales because of this.

Case in point- bayonetta. Awesome game suffers crappy port.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:
^^ I just cant help but feel MS's policy to not include a HDD in every 360 like they did in the XBOX is starting to screw them over. This is one of the examples. MS have so far had the perfect move- they took the best selling series on the PSone/2 and got it for the 360. But this 576p is kinda making the 360 look weaker instead of making them look like equals. The visual differences are apparent, well to me atleast- and a game like FF13 where the visual art is prolly its main selling point- This seems like a HUGE LET DOWN.

It is MS's fault because if the 360 had an install option- they could have made up for the performance hit with higher quality textures and better loading from the HDD. Instead SE had to ensure that the game ran pretty much the same on the arcade/elite/premium.

I was pretty glad that I wouldnt have to shell out cash on the ps3slim and I got my fix at my frnds, but looking at these pics I feel a lil punked. Im gonna be paying the same for a game that requires swapping, features lower quality FMV/audio and now a lower resolution too.. I mean I wouldnt mind if the ps3 had an extra weed in the background or whatever but this is simply a big FAUX PAUX- and SE are gonna lose some potential sales because of this.

Case in point- bayonetta. Awesome game suffers crappy port.

You know, this doesn't really have anything to do with the harddrive (or lack thereof). It's a matter of FF13 being already very customized for the PS3 when the porting to the 360 began.

The texture quality isn't about disk storage, it's a rendering issue. The lack of room on a disk will only affect the quality of pre-rendered cutscenes, audio, and whether or not a disk swap is needed.

@Rainbird

Thank God, i thought i was the only one to notice that their hair looks weird!

Around the Network
loves2splooge said:
arsenicazure said:
LOL at pics.. prolly explains those 'doctored' shots from SE last week eh? 360 is defntly sub par.. I mean compared to the ps3 version.. it looks.. more jagged, less vibrant ,missing graphics.. compare the water in the 2 pics.. ugghhh.. looks like I'll be buying the ps3slim after all...

Too Bad MS.. its time to a. either kill the arcade/or add a HDD to the arcade/or sell a very cheap HDD to existing arcade users.. coz if DVD space is the SOLE reason for poorer graphics.. the 360 is about to get stiffed from now onwards. Alan wake notwithstanding ofcourse...

Wasn't it reported that the in-game content on the PS3 disc took up only 6.8 GB? (rest reserved for FMV). There's no reason why Square couldn't keep thein-game textures at 720p and then compress the cinematics more to compensate. Or they could have just put it on 4 DVDs like Lost Odyssey. I don't see how Square choosing to downgrade textures (when they had other options) is Microsoft's fault.

I don't get why this is a huge deal. It happens all the time. It just so happens that this is one of the cases where the shoe is on the other foot. If console gamers cared about graphics this much, they should invest in a gaming rig. Bottom line. The PS2 was inferior to the Xbox graphically and yet most gamers didn't seem to give a damn then. This isn't anything new. Thoroughout history, you saw this sort of scenario (one version being superior to another) play out all the time.

In my opinion

maybe because they deem the story is more important than the slight reduction in texture an resolution.

like i stated before

2 DL-DVD9 cost's more than 1 single layer Blu-Ray 25 GB disc to distribute.

so 4 DL-DVD 9's cost more to package than a single DL-BD 50

so to SE it make's sense to down grade the xbox360 texture and Game resolution to keep the entire story intact.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

they are two things that worry me the 1. DVD capacity,
2nd developers not being able to smartly exploit dvd space for delivering same product. Well who cares of swapping discs when we have similar end -products across consoles having different medium.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that we should never discuss quality of ports ever again. Everytime a PS3 port wasn't equal, the conversation goes "PS3 is just too hard to develop for" or something along those lines. Now we have a game where the 360 version is noticeably worse and everyone says "Who cares".

Like CGI said, they are NOT the same console (unlike what most (360 fans) want to believe). And it's showing.

The 360 is fully capable of putting out games that look as beautiful as the PS3. Just watch some Alan Wake footage or get ready for some Halo:Reach footage in the future. Enough of the X console is better than X console because this bush is in the corner. Both consoles are pretty much on an even plain when it comes to graphics. Yes Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the two top dogs in graphics at the moment, but as I said Alan Wake and Halo:Reach will have something to say about that.
Second of all when the PS3 does graphics the PC isn't capable of then we can discuss throwing away the DVD medium. You guys realize Crysis is on a DVD right? Switching discs (if needed for a game) is not tedious or a deal breaker. If it is either of those to someone choosing between consoles then they need to see a psychiatrist.

Last Comment : Lets take into account that the studios working on these games may have better artistic talent than others. Its not a coincidence that Epic's Gears of War using the UE3 engine looks better than Lost Oddyssey's UE3 engine graphics. Graphics don't create themselves and from what I see my in Computer Graphics classes in school (my major) there are alot of people who don't have the talent to create a good looking game.

GameAnalyser said:
they are two things that worry me the 1. DVD capacity,
2nd developers not being able to smartly exploit dvd space for delivering same product. Well who cares of swapping discs when we have similar end -products across consoles having different medium.

I do not think its In my opinion on How such as you said  not able to smartly exploit the space of DVD. since developer's have been using DVD for quite some time. I think it has more to do with direction of the game , art and how the story and the level of sound your team would like for your project for the game than haing the higher up's that state's cut this from the final build because of cost's because it would go over budget, and the developer's who do most of the work may not be in the loop on what the full budget may be they were instructed to do what they do produce content , maybe not to worry about the budget. not to mention with the way it's going now since extra content can be sold and it seem's there are many gamer's willing to pay for it. it just mean's they have more content to sell to gamer's later on.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.