By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Industry being stubborn

"Why weren't those games the same experience, though? That's the point. The Wii isn't the best platform for those titles."

The Wii didn't make the multiplayer not be local. That was a design choice. And since the Wii still handles them with online, which has plenty of numbers from the online statistics report, it's clear the Wii can handle them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Why weren't those games the same experience, though? That's the point. The Wii isn't the best platform for those titles."

The Wii didn't make the multiplayer not be local. That was a design choice. And since the Wii still handles them with online, which has plenty of numbers from the online statistics report, it's clear the Wii can handle them.

Actually it was the limited development time, a Treyarch developer on GAF stated splitscreen was in the original plan but was cut when they didn't have enough time.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

"Actually it was the limited development time, a Treyarch developer on GAF stated splitscreen was in the original plan but was cut when they didn't have enough time."

Then hopefully the next one will finally have it, and we can see how local multiplayer helps sell these games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Reasonable said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Heh that's not true at all, hell even the DS has had 2 Assassin's Creed games.  I mean you want more reinforcement of that look at Army of Two the 40th day or Dantes Inferno both of which have or will have a PSP version. 

Demographics follow games not consoles, its simple, you put the games that gamers want on consoles they sell, people have gone out and bought a Wii just for a few games, but they would buy more if more was put there, promoted it was there, and shown to be something worth buying other than the rubbish that third parties throw together and call a "real effort"

I'm not here to say "all games should come to Wii" I could really give a shit, I have all the consoles, I can buy them where they land, hell most of them like Assassin's Creed, Army of Two, etc, just aren't that great, but those types of titles have always been around, they are the life blood for most companies, you put out an average game, its said to be special, its not but it still sells, and you're onto the next game. 

But if that's going to be your plan for making money they can put it on the Wii for a fraction of that cost, hype it, get the gamers all excited, put out some nice ads, tell them why they should buy it, and like most games it'll sell, there has yet to be a real effort like that on Wii from third parties, everyone sees it, everyone knows it, but everyone wants to blame something else.  Hell we're in 2010 and there's been like a total of two Game Informer cover ads for Wii games, with the whole "info blowout" and such, first one being Red Steel that sold to gamers despite being an average game at best, and now Epic Mickey. Companies simply aren't putting in the time nor the effort both in marketing and in games on Wii and it's painfully obvious, but when they release their financial reports and they're still bleeding money it's also obvious their current plans aren't working right.

That sir is why I don't buy the excuse, cause that's what it is.

I'll say it one more time, then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

If certain games were put on Wii, advertised, hyped, etc. as you say I am very sure they would still fail to sell to expectations and would fall far short of their HD versions.  Note again I'm talking about the specific types of games third parties are focusing on for HD consoles vs Wii as that seems to be the thrust of this post - why aren't the publishers/developers focusing on Wii for those titles?

So they don't bother, apart from the odd experiment to see what happens.

According to this site CoD:WaW sold around 1.5 on Wii and Reflex less than 1M - that's not good enough given the install base vs the sales on HD consoles.

Also, the other point I'm making you seen to have missed is many of those developers clearly see the Wii as too weak.  IW and many others have made it clear they're not interested.  For them it doesn't meet their minimum specs for what they think they need to meet their goals.

On the other hand, look at what something like Wii Music can sell, or Mario, or Carnival games - or Force Unleased as you mention.  I just don't see a lot of those developers trying the Wii, although clearly some publishers, like Activision, will try getting others to port to the console to see if they can maximise profits, but that seems to be a minority activity at the moment, and I don't see it catching on.

The PSP is getting attention as a handheld (one of only two on the market of note - ignorning iPhone for a moment) and I think is a red herring in your arguement as the handheld market isn't the same as the home consoles and efforts on it should be viewed in a different light as I believe they represent a different strategy.

Now, as I said in an earlier post, when Natal and Arc/Gem/Whatever hit, and the option is there to release a title on all three platforms using motion controls, then we might see more support across all three, but until then it's very unlikely.  Post those releases I expect to see developers try and leverage motion controls across the board - but again I doubt we'll see that touch the very large AAA franchises that focus on HD consoles, and of course with Nintendo holding the keys to their franchises on Wii the basic divide will remain in place.

Anyway, I guess we just see it differently.

Your argument is based on "it won't happen" despite no one actually trying to do any of what I've stated.  That's not a very good argument until someone actually does try and then fails, and will be the day I shut my trap about it

As for CoD sales, they're much in line with last gen CoD sales, you know back when it wasn't advertised and hyped for consoles, like I've been arguing this entire time.  You know if you put effort into marketing it could sell.  Right now the CoD games on Wii are selling on name and the fact that they are good games, you really can't call someone out on a red herring and then do the same thing yourself because the Wii versions were put into a drastically different situation vs the other versions.

As for IW saying they're not working on the Wii cause of specs... well thats really just complete fabrications... they were the original ones to start porting the CoD4 engine to Wii, that sounds like development to me... they didn't have it done in time for CoD4 so they handed the engine to Treyarch to finish up and put their W@W game on, then they gave them a good budget to port over CoD4 while IW worked on MW2... it all makes sense from a development stand point, they're building a base on Wii but because of issues it missed the CoD4 hype train.

As for handhelds, its all apart of business I'm not talking markets, I'm talking why make a game that is basically like developing a ground up PS2 game for a system that really doesn't sell software that well, and if they're going to do that it only takes a little more effort to port it up to give themselves more profit and start to build userbases on Wii.  It really doesn't make sense and that was the point I made not some "well handhelds are different so they should be viewed in a different light" when people do everyday when a game for the Wii comes out and becomes a 100k "flop" but then sells a million + and has more million sellers then say PSP or PS3...

There's a giant pink elephant in the room that no company wants to address, it's there, it's large, it's obvious, they're losing a shit ton of money, and yet they still want to say it doesn't exist.

I take your point, but I bet it still won't happen!  I'd say it's pretty clear the die has been cast in this area.  

Infinity Ward

http://kotaku.com/5396559/infinity-ward-wii-cant-deliver-our-multi+platform-experience

Epic

http://www.destructoid.com/epic-s-rein-m-rated-wii-games-are-huge-financial-flops--141140.phtml

Now of course in any industry never doesn't mean never, but I think it's clear that in general most of the developers producing big hits for the HD consoles aren't falling over to support the Wii, and it's also clear they seriously doubt the sales of their titles on the platform.

I do too, obviously, but of course can't prove anything unless they try and fail as you say, but based on the sales of respective games, particularly by rating, I'm feeling pretty sure that the result is more likely to be a failure than a success (comparative to the potential sales on the HD consoles).

I just don't believe, and clearly neither do a lot of developers, that there really are huge numbers of Wii owners demanding certain titles vs the known genres that sell well on the Wii, or that millions of young male teenagers are looking at their Wii and wondering where the Epic, IW, Rockstar big titles are.  I think you represent a minority of Wii owners, TBH, and are more likely to remain unsupported than supported.  Note I'm not gloating or even saying this is right - it's just how I read the market and I don't see much chance for major changes.

Neither do I (or these developers) feel they are losing a shit ton of money.  MW2 is well over 10M, Gears 1 &2 has a huge haul, Uncharted 1 & 2 have a huge haul (going by Sony not VG), GTAIV is well past 10M, etc. etc. and those titles and many others I firmly believe would be more or less wasted appearing heavily cut down graphically on the Wii or adapted to its controllers.

So I'm still of the 'fragmented market' mindset, where different companies are going to bet on different consoles for the most part leaving this topic open until the end of the gen, whereupon, if the Wii has remained ignorned in the same vein, I'll claim victory by default.

The Wii is a huge success, and clearly Nintendo gave themselves the larger install base and great SW sales with the choices they made, but at the same time those choices also eliminated the chance for great SW sales and support in certain genres and areas, and I don't think that's going to change.

EDIT : one final point.  I'm not really sure Nintendo themselves would be that keen on a huge marketing push and hype for games like MW2 or Gears on the Wii.  The Wii is very, very heavily marketed as a family console, with neat familes of 4 or nice neat friends in groups of 4, enjoying it together having fun.  It's whole consistent image, I doubt, could easily support a major push for the console as being home to heavily online, competitive, violent games.  It just doesn't fit and I believe that's also part of the issue.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

"and it's also clear they seriously doubt the sales of their titles on the platform"

This is also because they have it wrong about what sells their games. So when some make Wii games they go for the graphics about things like replay value and multiplayer. They seriously don't get that those sell games more, so when the games don't sell, they just assume it was the Wii audience.

In short, they are the reasons their titles don't sell, and they just don't get why.

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Your argument is based on "it won't happen" despite no one actually trying to do any of what I've stated.  That's not a very good argument until someone actually does try and then fails, and will be the day I shut my trap about it

As for CoD sales, they're much in line with last gen CoD sales, you know back when it wasn't advertised and hyped for consoles, like I've been arguing this entire time.  You know if you put effort into marketing it could sell.  Right now the CoD games on Wii are selling on name and the fact that they are good games, you really can't call someone out on a red herring and then do the same thing yourself because the Wii versions were put into a drastically different situation vs the other versions.

As for IW saying they're not working on the Wii cause of specs... well thats really just complete fabrications... they were the original ones to start porting the CoD4 engine to Wii, that sounds like development to me... they didn't have it done in time for CoD4 so they handed the engine to Treyarch to finish up and put their W@W game on, then they gave them a good budget to port over CoD4 while IW worked on MW2... it all makes sense from a development stand point, they're building a base on Wii but because of issues it missed the CoD4 hype train.

As for handhelds, its all apart of business I'm not talking markets, I'm talking why make a game that is basically like developing a ground up PS2 game for a system that really doesn't sell software that well, and if they're going to do that it only takes a little more effort to port it up to give themselves more profit and start to build userbases on Wii.  It really doesn't make sense and that was the point I made not some "well handhelds are different so they should be viewed in a different light" when people do everyday when a game for the Wii comes out and becomes a 100k "flop" but then sells a million + and has more million sellers then say PSP or PS3...

There's a giant pink elephant in the room that no company wants to address, it's there, it's large, it's obvious, they're losing a shit ton of money, and yet they still want to say it doesn't exist.

I take your point, but I bet it still won't happen!  I'd say it's pretty clear the die has been cast in this area.  

Infinity Ward

http://kotaku.com/5396559/infinity-ward-wii-cant-deliver-our-multi+platform-experience

Epic

http://www.destructoid.com/epic-s-rein-m-rated-wii-games-are-huge-financial-flops--141140.phtml

Now of course in any industry never doesn't mean never, but I think it's clear that in general most of the developers producing big hits for the HD consoles aren't falling over to support the Wii, and it's also clear they seriously doubt the sales of their titles on the platform.

I do too, obviously, but of course can't prove anything unless they try and fail as you say, but based on the sales of respective games, particularly by rating, I'm feeling pretty sure that the result is more likely to be a failure than a success (comparative to the potential sales on the HD consoles).

I just don't believe, and clearly neither do a lot of developers, that there really are huge numbers of Wii owners demanding certain titles vs the known genres that sell well on the Wii, or that millions of young male teenagers are looking at their Wii and wondering where the Epic, IW, Rockstar big titles are.  I think you represent a minority of Wii owners, TBH, and are more likely to remain unsupported than supported.  Note I'm not gloating or even saying this is right - it's just how I read the market and I don't see much chance for major changes.

Neither do I (or these developers) feel they are losing a shit ton of money.  MW2 is well over 10M, Gears 1 &2 has a huge haul, Uncharted 1 & 2 have a huge haul (going by Sony not VG), GTAIV is well past 10M, etc. etc. and those titles and many others I firmly believe would be more or less wasted appearing heavily cut down graphically on the Wii or adapted to its controllers.

So I'm still of the 'fragmented market' mindset, where different companies are going to bet on different consoles for the most part leaving this topic open until the end of the gen, whereupon, if the Wii has remained ignorned in the same vein, I'll claim victory by default.

The Wii is a huge success, and clearly Nintendo gave themselves the larger install base and great SW sales with the choices they made, but at the same time those choices also eliminated the chance for great SW sales and support in certain genres and areas, and I don't think that's going to change.

EDIT : one final point.  I'm not really sure Nintendo themselves would be that keen on a huge marketing push and hype for games like MW2 or Gears on the Wii.  The Wii is very, very heavily marketed as a family console, with neat familes of 4 or nice neat friends in groups of 4, enjoying it together having fun.  It's whole consistent image, I doubt, could easily support a major push for the console as being home to heavily online, competitive, violent games.  It just doesn't fit and I believe that's also part of the issue.

I can understand Infinity Ward not wanting to make a Wii COD4 because they did not know the system's architecture or something, but they should have given it to Treyarch. With that absence on the Wii, they missed out on millions of dollars, at the point where the audience multiplied by nearly 350%. COD3 on the 360 sold 2.35 million, but COD4 went on to sell 8.15 million, more than tripling its sales. What is to say that if the Wii got a COD4 ON TIME, its sales wouldn't have tripled into the 4 million range like the 360 version?

In retrospect, you would think 2.35m isn't much to look at but when you see how much the franchise has expanded since then you wouldn't have much to say Reasonable. The Wii missed out on the entire expansion period, and you expect consumers to appear two years later? That in itself is....unreasonable. And Epic just outright hates the Wii, like when they called it a virus and Cliff Blezinski got a boner trashing the console back in 2008 after several repeated attempts.

All those games you mentioned above were large exceptions to the overall rule. For every GTA4 (the company posted losses the quarter after GTA4's release) and Modern Warfare, I can give you a Factor 5, a Grin Studios, a Golden Axe, Pandemic, Bionic Commando, & Midway that has outright failed in their attempts to please the PS360 base.

The entire marketing struggle between the PS3 and 360 only further confuses customers, however who adertises the most usually ends up reaping the benefits. How much money have these companies thrown down the tube over measly things like DLC and timed exclusivity? The only thing the Wii cannot do is graphics. AI is also thrown in the pot along with physics, but I have not really witnessed any outstanding title that proves that stuff. The fact that these titles can be downported leagues down to the PSP of all godforsaken software selling consoles is really close to a slap in the face when it is later claimed no Wii iteration can be created.

No one really complains about 3rd parties until they start complaining, usually about the most nonsensical of things. My favorite example is the recent THQ, who said Deadly Creatures failed. He also said titles like the Biggest Loser and Marvel Super Hero Squad succeeded. Do you know MarvSuper Hero Squad and Deadly Creatures SOLD THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT?? (150k)

I'm done.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Reasonable said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Reasonable said:

I'll say it one more time, then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

If certain games were put on Wii, advertised, hyped, etc. as you say I am very sure they would still fail to sell to expectations and would fall far short of their HD versions.  Note again I'm talking about the specific types of games third parties are focusing on for HD consoles vs Wii as that seems to be the thrust of this post - why aren't the publishers/developers focusing on Wii for those titles?

So they don't bother, apart from the odd experiment to see what happens.

According to this site CoD:WaW sold around 1.5 on Wii and Reflex less than 1M - that's not good enough given the install base vs the sales on HD consoles.

Also, the other point I'm making you seen to have missed is many of those developers clearly see the Wii as too weak.  IW and many others have made it clear they're not interested.  For them it doesn't meet their minimum specs for what they think they need to meet their goals.

On the other hand, look at what something like Wii Music can sell, or Mario, or Carnival games - or Force Unleased as you mention.  I just don't see a lot of those developers trying the Wii, although clearly some publishers, like Activision, will try getting others to port to the console to see if they can maximise profits, but that seems to be a minority activity at the moment, and I don't see it catching on.

The PSP is getting attention as a handheld (one of only two on the market of note - ignorning iPhone for a moment) and I think is a red herring in your arguement as the handheld market isn't the same as the home consoles and efforts on it should be viewed in a different light as I believe they represent a different strategy.

Now, as I said in an earlier post, when Natal and Arc/Gem/Whatever hit, and the option is there to release a title on all three platforms using motion controls, then we might see more support across all three, but until then it's very unlikely.  Post those releases I expect to see developers try and leverage motion controls across the board - but again I doubt we'll see that touch the very large AAA franchises that focus on HD consoles, and of course with Nintendo holding the keys to their franchises on Wii the basic divide will remain in place.

Anyway, I guess we just see it differently.

Infinity Ward

Epic

*and the headache starts*

Ok yeah, of course Epic wants to troll the shit out of the Wii like they did in the link you provided, their engine was made for the consoles they want to support with games, it cost them a lot of money to make and they were gaining it back with third parties using it for PS3 and 360 while the Wii developers could still make their own engines at a lower development cost and make better looking games in the process, Epic was taking advantage of the insanly high development costs.

As for Epic's games look at their old bread and butter Unreal Tournament III combined PS3 and 360 sales are out sold by CoD W@W on Wii.  Yeah that proves they have no market on PS3 and 360 I'm guessing if we go by sales on that one am I right?

As for things like GTAIV, I'm guessing you missed when 2K games is still posting losses, they were almost bought out by EA, which has troubles of their own now, and now 2K will have to sell "5 million" copies of Red Dead Redemption to break even with that project, indeed their business model makes perfect sense.

The reason these people don't flat out say they're losing a shit ton of money is because they have investors they need to keep from losing, if they lost those investors it's game over for them in multiple ways.  But the one thing they can't ignore is the actual numbers on their reports... I can find you a list of dead developers and publishers, the common trait with most of them is they were all HD exclusive or had "big" HD games that didn't sell well.

This is probably the most unreasonable post I've seen in a while, since you can't really ignore facts and numbers, which is where my argument has it's basis, while you're claiming sales = doing well but completely ignoring the fact that even with million sellers these guys are hurting pretty badly...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

SaviorX said:

I can understand Infinity Ward not wanting to make a Wii COD4 because they did not know the system's architecture or something, but they should have given it to Treyarch. With that absence on the Wii, they missed out on millions of dollars, at the point where the audience multiplied by nearly 350%. COD3 on the 360 sold 2.35 million, but COD4 went on to sell 8.15 million, more than tripling its sales. What is to say that if the Wii got a COD4 ON TIME, its sales wouldn't have tripled into the 4 million range like the 360 version?

In retrospect, you would think 2.35m isn't much to look at but when you see how much the franchise has expanded since then you wouldn't have much to say Reasonable. The Wii missed out on the entire expansion period, and you expect consumers to appear two years later? That in itself is....unreasonable. And Epic just outright hates the Wii, like when they called it a virus and Cliff Blezinski got a boner trashing the console back in 2008 after several repeated attempts.

Infinity Ward had to develop and engine and then release on 3 platforms with COD 4. Your assumptions are based upon the idea that they could have released without a drop in quality and therefore sales on the 3 other platforms to support the Wii. An extra platform means developers taken away from the DX9 version of the game and extra testing etc. The reason why COD 4 performed so well was because it was so outstanding in the market. A less outstanding COD 4 means lower sales. These lower sales would then transfer forwards to lower sales for COD WAW and COD MW2.

"Infinity Ward had to develop and engine and then release on 3 platforms with COD 4. Your assumptions are based upon the idea that they could have released without a drop in quality and therefore sales on the 3 other platforms to support the Wii. An extra platform means developers taken away from the DX9 version of the game and extra testing etc. The reason why COD 4 performed so well was because it was so outstanding in the market. A less outstanding COD 4 means lower sales. These lower sales would then transfer forwards to lower sales for COD WAW and COD MW2."

He was stating IF they had gotten AROUND that problem. Duh.

Maybe if Nintendo had used programmable shaders, maybe if third parties had been more willing, maybe if Nintendo had offered more help at the beginning... maybe... etc.