By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thought on Wii after owning it for almost a year

kirby007 said:
bored with wiisports ??? HOW???

I was done with Wii Sports the moment I got a 299 in Bowling. >_<

My rating for the Wii's first year is an A.

Around the Network

Why even play SMG? Sell it right away. I'm sure you'll make someone happy seeing as there is general shortage of white boxes around.

And you won't have to worry about wii collectng dust when you'll play your nice black FPS machine...

As for others like me, i can't see myself making nearly enough time to play all the Wii games released a couple months ago, not even to mention latest releases. And when i see all the upcoming goodness, i think i'll need to quit my job :)

BTW am i the only one who had fun time with Rayman Raving Rabbids? That game was simply funny as hell. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

the wii at launch with two amazing games zelda and wii sports and a few other decent games pretty much had as good a lineup as the 360 at that same time after it had been out for a year, yeah wii sports might not be a deep gaming experience but its one of the most fun multiplayer games on any system ever. since then not even counting the tons of great VC games available the wii's lineup is filled with quality games like super paper mario, re4, mario strikers charged, fire emblem, zack & wiki, guitar hero 3, mlb power pros, super mario galaxy, medal of honor heroes 2, metroid prime 3, mario and sonic olympics. and all these games are backed up by a good number of decent games. thats 13 very good games in the first year along with probably 20 or so decent games.

compare it to the 360 two years in it has two or three great rpgs (mass effect about to be out, oblivion, and maybe eternal sonata) and 4 great shooters (call of duty 4, halo, bioshock, gears), and a couple other like guitar hero and ace combat. and then it too probably has like 15-20 decent games backing those up. when you compare the two systems 360 has much less variety in its top games and while the games might be more high profile and maybe a bit better overall than wii's average top games it doesn't have as many top quality games and thats after being out twice as long. the ps3 has resistance, warhawk, hs, rachet, and uncharted, along with the ninja gaiden and oblivion port worth getting so it is definitely the most disappointing at this point in time. but still that lineup is much more impressive than the 360's first year but not nearly as good as wii's.

basically i'm saying what everyone else is you can't expect the two great launch games to last you a whole year. and you can't complain if you've only ever even tried one other mediocre game like mario party and ignored all the other great games. anybody with a wii could have been set all year with zelda and wii sports at launch, godfather in march, super paper mario in april, scarface in june, RE4 in june, mario strikers in july, metroid in august, in october mlb power pros, zack & wiki, guitar hero 3, manhunt 2, and battalian wars 2. in november fire emblem, mario and sonic, re:UC, SMG, medal of honor heroes 2. and soon to come geometry wars, SC legends, and NiGHTS. not to mention there are a couple dozen more pretty good games which most people will find at least a few of those games good enough to get so even if some of the games listed above don't float your boat there's plenty more decent games to get you through the year. and if all else fails go pick up 10-15 great VC games and you'll be set. the only way you can complain abou the wii is if you haven't actually tried playing any of its games.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

I love the Wii I got my kids. I don't feel as though I am missing anything due to the fact that if I want to play any of the new FPS games, I have a PC for that. Right now, I don't have the money to buy all the good games that are available. Galaxies, Batallion Wars 2, Umbrella Chronicals, No More Heros, Smash Bros. Zack and Wiki, etc. etc. I am really pleased with the lineup right now. What I am getting bent about is the lack of production out of Nintendo. If they wanted to grab the lead and hold it, they should have ramped up production. They can't meet demand, and they are losing sales.

Personally - I'd give the Wii a 'C' in our first yr of owning it. Here's how I found it - Sports A+ and still worth a play 2-3 times a month - Red Steel 'A" for the fun of 'trying' wii type controls - 'F' for the game itself... from there I didn't really like the games - I felt Zelda identical to the GC (save for the left handed right handed thing) - but it hasn't been 'dead' - I had fun with Rampage - all beit retread - I played GC games on the Wii - Paper Mario turned out surprisingly cool - I also loved both Madden's to date - and now - with much ah-doo - I am starting to be rewarded for my patience... Metroid is like - A+++ to me - and considering I didn't like the first two 3d metroids - thats huge. Metroid is the first game I've played on the Wii that felt like an upgrade from GC. I don't need 360 graphics - but I want something better than GC... lol - on tap? Galaxy, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, and all the other games made for the Wii - not just ports or quick conversions like Far Cry (worst wii game to date?) The Wii will be an A for me by December Im sure.

Around the Network

You know its about pointless to ask a zealot for an honest appraisal. Had this thread proved anything it would be that. There has never been a console that has warranted the A+ letter grading. All the consoles have had flaws. Then there is ignoring the fact that there have been dozens of consoles to hit the market over the years. Most zealots will never compare their current fixation to the pasts fixation.

To put it bluntly this generations consoles would not rank within the top five consoles of all time. They have far too many flaws. The PS3 was an expensive Trojan horse with too few games. The 360 is prone to catastrophic failure. The Wii is comparatively weak, but the price and innovation helped it out a lot. However they all have flaws.

The game listing was equally ridiculous in this thread. Seriously if you put the Godfather in your list your really full of something. I own the game. I played the game. I beat the game. I will say this as a GTA clone it leaves a lot to be desired. I dare you to find a reviewer that says otherwise. The game was ugly, the storyline pathetic, and the variation non existent. Even Scarface did a better job at the very least there was much more to do.

You really do not deserve to be taken seriously if you cannot do a critical analysis, or list off plain bad games as the pinnacle of a console. Being oblivious to dated ports is almost as bad.

Dodece said:

To put it bluntly this generations consoles would not rank within the top five consoles of all time. They have far too many flaws. The PS3 was an expensive Trojan horse with too few games. The 360 is prone to catastrophic failure. The Wii is comparatively weak, but the price and innovation helped it out a lot. However they all have flaws.

How is the Wii "comparitively weak"?

Its more powerful than every console, ever released up to now - except for the 360/PS3. And it plays NES, SNES, etc... games.

I strongly disagree with you on this. IMO, the Wii is the best Nintendo console EVER made. The only thing to beat it, is the DS. Its better than the GC (plays GC games), better then the N64, etc...

You could argue that the PS2 > Wii - based on library strength. Possibly - but I still personally prefer the Wii. There is a PS2 sitting next to our Wii in the living room - and it never gets turned on - ever. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

my wii is so much fun. part way through metroid. mmmmm metroid

i owned an xbox last generation and ive still got it but it doesnt get a run. should sell it

I think it's funny that anybody would say "I don't like the Wii because I was dumb enough to pay for a Mario Party game."

You deserve your lack of fun. I'm sorry. The good games were/are out there, and you paid money for Mario Party.

Did you buy the greatest game of all time yet or what? It's on the Wii.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Rubang B said:
I think it's funny that anybody would say "I don't like the Wii because I was dumb enough to pay for a Mario Party game."

You deserve your lack of fun. I'm sorry. The good games were/are out there, and you paid money for Mario Party.

Did you buy the greatest game of all time yet or what? It's on the Wii.

yep you are right