By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thought on Wii after owning it for almost a year

"Zelda which is a port. Wii Sports which is a ten dollar pack in of a game. You have a slew of half baked ports. A bunch of party games, and perhaps a few titles that will appeal to niche groups. Not everyone is a fan of Paper Mario or of Metroid prime. So what is left well not very much.
"
I like that you can just completly blow off al gae that cme out on the wii to this point with out having to back it up other then a few major names...smooth

Around the Network

Maybe you got into the whole Wii idea expecting flashy graphics, costly productions, many sports/FPS/racing games; you're not gonna find it in Wii. Maybe you should check your tastes a bit more (before buying)...

Garcian Smith said:
I've loved my Wii thus far. While owning a console in its first year pretty much universally sucks ass, the Wii has had a lot of good stuff to play. Zelda: TP, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, CoD 3 (don't laugh, it nailed Wii FPS controls), and RRR at launch, and SPM, MP3, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Zack & Wiki, Elebits, Mercury Meltdown, and likely others that I've forgotten since. Not to mention the fact that its given me a chance to catch up on the Gamecube back-catalog, and the fact that I've easily spent $60 or so on the Virtual Console...

And things will only get better.

Agreed -- Excite Truck does not get enough love.  It's such a good game and people discovering it now still end up loving it.

Why do some of you have to be so defensive? Just write about your own Wii experience and give him recommendations for other games to try, but don't flame.

@boolean,

What games for other consoles/PC do you like? Did your girlfriend like the Wii games?

My only complain on the WIi is the game called The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess first they say they will create a dark Zelda game. But it was not that I thought at least that some kid should be killed or something. Then theey don't give a shit about the music ahrg. The Gameplay was good and all as excpected but that story and the boring dark world an unable to die unless you try to do so was horrible. It was not even cute like Wind Waker it maybe me that completed Ocerina of Time for the first time 2 months earlier and had very high hopes for the game.

After that I have liked my Wii very much and if you want JRPG i would pick up an Xbox 360 or wait a little longer since those games comes to the wii in the future.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

Around the Network

If you really want play lots of JRPGs (at least early on), buy a PS3.

boolean said:

I want to share my personal thought regarding wii after owning it for almost a year.

I bought Wii on the third day from its launch day (launch day was 7 dec 06, bought 9 dec 06). Basically I was hyped about wii at that time, I loved zelda and wii sport, I even convinced 2 of my friends to buy wii as well.

At that time I easily gave Wii a perfect A score. But not anymore.... Played wii play/sport with friends and zelda for single play for like 3-4 weeks, then the hype started to decline. Finished zelda, and bored with wii sport/play, and no good game released at that time... tried few new games, but all failed

On January FFXII was released in here, so I went back to PS2 and totally forgot about the Wii, played this game most of the time along with Disgaea 2 untill I purchased another console in march (purchased on its launch day)

July 2007, Mario Party was released, and I was thinking that this game maybe able to make me put more hour on the wii that has been collecting dust since January... but Mario party failed me, not my kind of game, 4 days, returned the game.. thats it. haven't touched the wii again untill now..

And about my friends that bought wii because of me, both of them neglected their wii for more than 8 months.. and back to their PC gaming, sad indeed...

So far I spent maybe only 100 hours total time playing on Wii in almost a year time (and maybe over 1000 hours on the other...) Right now I'm waiting for super mario galaxy to be released and after I finish the game, I'm going to sell my Wii (or not?)

My score on wii after owning it for almost a year is: D-

Sounds like you got your Wii about the same time as I did =)

Sounds like you started off with the right types of games but then you have been having trouble lately finding the type of stuff you care about.  In that regard I would say look at some of the release lists and see if there aren't some things that interest you.  If you honestly don't see some games out or coming up that interest you then perhaps you should sell it.  I personally think there is something for everyone but if you don't think there is enough to warrant your ownership of the console then you should go with your gut feeling.

As far as Mario Party 8, that game is hit or miss with most people.  It seems you either love it or you hate it.  It sounds like you may have been the latter.  But my point here is that you shouldn't let the fact that you didn't enjoy MP8 stop you from trying some other games that sound like they may interest you.  Personally when I purchased my Wii I looked at the list of games coming up and and I knew that Wii Sports/Zelda + the occasional third party would be able to satisfy my gaming needs until SPM, Metroid, Galaxy, and Smash came.  The third party games I have enoyed thus far actually turned out to be pretty fun (ie Elebits, RRR, Madden '07, Z&W, etc..  )

As for your friends who got Wiis I think they should have done a bit more research before leaping to a purchase.  See Twestern's formula:

total price of all games wanted for system >= Console Price 

Is a good one for making sure you don't purchase something you won't get good use out of.

I guess I will conclude this by saying that it sounds like your issues are with the games you have purchased thus far more than the console itself.  Library is important to making a console succesful no doubt, but in that regard there seem to be several great games you haven't tried yet.  So if what you have tried isn't your cup of tea then try some other stuff...if that doesn't do it for you then its probably just not the console for you and you can stick to your PS3/PC combo. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

no if you really want to play JPEG just get a ps2 its loads cheaper and still has 2-3 years left in it

Garcian Smith said:
I've loved my Wii thus far. While owning a console in its first year pretty much universally sucks ass, the Wii has had a lot of good stuff to play. Zelda: TP, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, CoD 3 (don't laugh, it nailed Wii FPS controls), and RRR at launch, and SPM, MP3, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Zack & Wiki, Elebits, Mercury Meltdown, and likely others that I've forgotten since. Not to mention the fact that its given me a chance to catch up on the Gamecube back-catalog, and the fact that I've easily spent $60 or so on the Virtual Console...

And things will only get better.

This is an A++++ evaluation of the Wii.

Boolean's = F----.

The Wii may not be for everybody, but saying that two or three games were bad for it certainly is not grounds for bashing a system.  Zelda TP was awsome.  I only recently stopped playing Wii sports and I own a launch system (I bought MLB power pros which totally overshadows the baseball on wii sports)

Great games on Wii to name a few

RE4

Zelda TP

Paper Mario

Elibits

Trauma Center

MLB power pros

MP3

Galaxy

and many more to come....

Brawl

Mario Kart

Wii Fit??? (we'll see)

Aye, the problem that nintendo faces can be seen in a lot of the negative posters here. If you notice, everyone making criticism is looking purely at the first party titles. Seems weird when you know, OTHER companies make games for the wii.

For the upset people, check if any of these third party titles fit your tastes and THEN make a decision.

So first, games that you'll call lame ports but are best on the wii:
Godfather
Resident Evil 4

Now, third party titles for the wii that are solid:
Zack & Wiki
Guitar Hero 3
MLB Power Pros
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Trauma Center
Elebits
Dewy's Adventure