By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thought on Wii after owning it for almost a year

Well if all you like is RPGs, then aye, I would hold off on the wii for a while and pick up a 360 instead.

Though you mention your friends having wiis as well. In that case, I highly recommend mario strikers as it's probably the most fun my friend and I have had in a long time :).

As to Gazz, who's criticizing everyone for recommending games to him... OKAY? I don't understand why that's a negative thing when you're trying to help someone get more out of something they have.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
At least Twestern had the balls to use his real account.

Or did he...

FishyJoe is the real Twesterm in disguise!!!

I understand this guys sentiment in the sense that alot of people get dissapointed with a consoel the first year it is out. For myself I was very dissapointed with the N64 and PS2 after I got through the launch titles but they both proved their worth in the end.

Surprisingly the Wii is probably the only game system I haven't been tempted to give up on in the first year since my SNES days.

For me I will say welcome to VGchartz. I echo the sentiment that you might just need a larger data set. It is entirely possible that you may prefer a different system with different games, but try a few more of the great games. What types of games do you like, the people here can certainly point you in the right direction?

For reference this is how my grade of Wii has gone over the past year

Intial Response : A

Following game play(name,game grade, cummulitive system grade)

Wiisports A+, A+
Excitetruck B-, A
Red Steel D, B
Zelda A-, A-
Rayman A, A
Warioware C, A-
game drought E, B
Mario Party B-, B+
Paper Mario B+, A-
Boogie E, B+
DDR Revoltion C+, B+
Zack & Wiki A+, A

Now in the next 6 months I plan on getting RE4, Galaxy, Rayman 2, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart, So my expections are pushing the grade back to A+(We'll see if the games play that out). I know I won't lack for games to play but other nagging issues may bring the score back down a little.

I know what it is like to get into Wiisports and then lose favor with it(overplayed it with friends and family during holiday 07) but I find myself going back to it. For the most part the bad games have let me down just in terms as software while the great games have proven the hardware as well as software. The only exception to that is Red Steel where I was convinced that I might like FPSs with a new controls scheme. (I know I should get metroid, but I have bigger fish to fry)

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Oh fair do's, i remember reading a post once by you regarding your stance and being shocked at it, must have blatantly missed the sarcasm and thought you were continuing with your upset tirade hehe.

Games i'm currently playing:

Before I start up on Galaxy again in a few minutes, let me tell you MY thought on Wii after owning it for almost a year.

I anticipated this system ever since the summer of 2005 (thanks to a friend waking me up from a less-than-interested-in-next-gen slumber for most of the year) & REALLY got into it when the controller was unveiled on September, 16, 2005 at the Tokyo Game Show. It was right then & there that I knew where The Future of Gaming lay.

During that summer of 2005 I made my first dalliances in forums and comment boards about gaming starting with Joystiq (a simple web search about game news led me there). I had been on the 'net since 2001 but it never occured to me to talk about gaming online until the Revolution stirred my interest. A poster calling himself RevPatentLeaker in Joystiq helped hype me up for the Revolution about to come and over the months as the features of the system became more detailed my anticipation for the system grew & grew.

E3 2006 was not really a surprise to me and it only confirmed what I knew about how the generation was going to play out. Revolution was the ideology, Wii was the way to accomplish it and I just kept waiting patiently until November 19, 2006 when the system would make its debut. Luckily I lived in North America.

It would be the first ever system I bought at launch & because of this lack of experience I didn't go about getting the system in the right way. Me & my friend lazily hung around the house, going to a Chinese food place, lacadaisically strolling up to the local area Wal-Mart near the 12AM mark. We knew there would be some line but we didn't think this little sleepy town would be that dedicated about it. Right then & there me & my friend learned an important lesson about launches. Especially a launch of one of the greatest systems of all time. We went home disappointed kicking ourselves with laughs to ease the pain. Even Zelda was snatched up!

I resigned to not being able to get the system until much later now realizing the depth of the frenzy Wii caused. But luck smiled upon this old Nintendo fan. Working nightshift turned out to have its advantages as on a December 5, 2006 afternoon while paying Bill & his similarly-named friends I went to puppy-dog-paw-and-whimper at the glass case containing all the Wii-age. Lo and behold there was a notice saying Wiis would be in stock the next morning starting 8AM. "Ooooohhh YEEEAAAHH!" I thought in Macho Man Randy Savage mentality knowing that I got off at 6AM right in time to arrive at the store in plenty of time. Even getting there a little after 6:30AM I already found myself in a line that left me with a ticket called #12. Only 30 would be in stock so maybe it's fortunate that I wasn't #31. An unexpected bump up to #11 as the guy in front of me's friend let him know by phone that the Wii was obtained I eventually get my long awaited system looking back at the far over 30-long line and feeling for the Johnny-Come-Latelies. Luckily I was a Johnny-Come-Early for once.

December 6, 2006 I took home the big white box that reminds me of washing detergent packages, unpacked it, set it up, and got ready to play. Wii Sports blew my mind and the controller lived up to every bit of the hype it caused. The speaker in the Wiimote threw me for a loop with the sound on the game channeling through that little speaker for a new twist on surround sound. I did my first Wii Fitness test & was 66 years old! Hahahahaha! Gaming was a whole new ball of wax and not knowing instinctually what to do was a refreshing feeling. It felt wonderful to become again what some people call "noob". I had The Future of Gaming in my very hands.

A few days prior to getting Wii I bought that Zelda awaiting Wii for completion & after about 3 weeks losing myself in Wii Sports I finally start up on the epic toward the end of December. 4 months later hourslong sessions after another I finally beat a beautifully done game that made me appreciate more than ever horseback strolls along the countryside. I remember seeing DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 at that launch debacle & imagining Wii controls and DBZ I snapped this up without any preknowledge or study. Bought purely blind no review or feedback necessary. A wonderful surprise as this fighting game played so new & refreshing. The completeness of the DBZ universe and attention to detail. Now I saw fighting games being forever changed. Old school control was passé.

Frequently taking my system over to my cousin's family's house I knew that Nintendo hit right on the mark about reaching new audiences. I had no doubt on their ability to pull it off and this only cemented that belief even further. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves opened my eyes to the possibilities Wii controls could take. I felt some would probably not think of Wario Ware as a herald to future Wii control design but the game only let me know the future could only get better for this system as the years wear on.

Getting Wii Play further brought me back to a place I haven't quite been since my first time playing NES and my first time seeing the arcades as a young boy. The game was so simple, so clean, so purely roots rock gaming that it let me know even more that Nintendo was fulfilling its lofty promises. Playing WAS Believing.

With my Fatal Five in tact I eventually started trying to catch up on some titles where I could further test out Nintendo's variances on controls. Excite Truck was the natural option. Not played in the remote flashlight fashion took some getting used to (you get so used to pointing it at screen) but even without a steering wheel the gameplay had me feeling like I do when I race on I-95 trying to get to and from work. Speed demon lurks within me and this game was unleashing my hidden off-road reckless racer.

Next was another game I wanted since launch, Trauma Center: Second Opinion. ANOTHER title that just made me marvel at the possibilities for games and game genres the Wii and only the Wii could produce. This dramatic little title had me HOOKED. I just KNEW it was good just by looking at the box art. It just seemed like quality & once again I wasn't disappointed.

I later got Godfather: Blackhand Edition which gave me a title with some edge to it content wise. If not for the Wii I would have slept on this game but it was such a well done game that even without Wii controls it would have been good. But of course the Wii controls make it so much better. This helped me realize further about future 3rd party success on the console. Once they start giving the platform a chance and putting some good quality on it, the sales will eventually follow.

Meanwhile through all this I loved playing with my Mii Channel and seeing what new Miis floated into my Mii Parade. Messed around on the Photo Channel and still plan on getting an SD Card to better utilize this feature (along with make saves off of hard drive). Purchased some much loved games from Wii Shop Channel—Comix Zone from Sega Genesis (loved it since seeing it on the Sega Channel) & Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV from SNES (I used to rent the HELL out of this game in the mid 90s). Loved the SMB download-in-progress graphics. Checked my Weather & News Channels often when I come home from work in the morning. Sometimes getting stories here faster than anywhere else. Everybody Votes Channel gets plenty of participation from me & they even used one of my submitted questions on my birthday (Why did the chicken cross the road?). Loved having an Internet Channel and being able to having an internet on my TV screen. It's something about that that's just cool. Loved sending messages to my Wii buddies and seeing that blue light flash when a message is sent to me. I sometimes hope on seeing a blue light when I come home hoping somebody sent a shout out.

Then I wanted to test Wii's Wi-Fi capabilities by getting Mario Strikers Charged. Don't like the region-locking on it but totally enjoy the game and know that I added another top title to my growing collection. If only I can get my skills up. I have absolutely NO soccer logic!

Then in August here comes the Metroid Prime 3 channel hyping me up for Metroid Prime 3 which I quickly snapped up. The game did not disappoint and the fever hit me so bad that I began playing the other Metroid Primes from Gamecube on hard mode to lose myself in this universe.

The system has and continues to live up to everything I thought of it since 2005 & more. In recent days I've bought more games to round out my library including a cheap buy of Rampage: Total Destruction for mindless fun, Elebits for interesting concept, Zack & Wiki for stylish innovative play, & Super Mario Galaxy which as I found out last night is worth its weight in supernovas.

In my year owning this little rectangualar white box, all I can say is that it only strengthens my hope for gaming in the future. I expect to see people make something unforeseen out of the system as a result of its existence. I expect the demographics to shift and merge hopefully destroying this tired hardcore/casual nonsense dichotomy people hold so close to heart lately. It's just doing virtually everything right as far as I'm concerned.

While it's not 100% perfect I feel it may be on its way to becoming the greatest system of all time. Storage is gonna be an issue and region locking is a disappointment. That's the only two problems I have with the system. Anything else would be a problem with the people not the system. Mini-games and party games...that social fun aspect should not be diminished and should be incorporated with more games. It's time to come out of solitude all the time. The complex games won't end because of this new wave & it can only benefit gaming in the long run as genres adjust to the new way of the market. Zelda's next outing may Nintendo's first take on an MMORPG. We see with GC's Four Swords a taste of where they could go with it.

I am not disappointed in the least and the only thing collecting dust around here is my cable box since myTV viewing has diminished greatly in the face of the 'net & videogames.

I'm gonna be like a pig in slop come 2008 as I see Wii fulfill more and more of its potential. Wii Fit is gonna be the SHIT! And then Brawl & Mario Kart and all the rest. Bob Ross Painting! Sadness! I'm waiting!

OK, it's time to get back to Galaxy.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

I think their are a few people in this thread that need to be banned not specifically the original poster. What are we too the point where anyone who does not worship the little white box must be a blasphemer. Shall we burn them at the stake for heresy. This kind of behavior can and will destroy this site if it persists. All this talk of banning is merely the desire to silence those that disagree with you. Way to encourage people to join this community.

I can see where the original poster is coming from the consoles first year software blows utterly. You have Zelda which is a port. Wii Sports which is a ten dollar pack in of a game. You have a slew of half baked ports. A bunch of party games, and perhaps a few titles that will appeal to niche groups. Not everyone is a fan of Paper Mario or of Metroid prime. So what is left well not very much.

I probably would express the same sentiment about owning the system. On one hand I want to play Galaxy on the other hand there isn't much beyond that. I already have two Mario Karts, and I am relatively sure Nintendo will do the bare minimum again. Seriously four battle modes is not acceptable. I was never a huge fan of Smash Brothers it was fun for a couple weeks but beyond that I hardly touched it. No talk of Starfox, Pilotwings, or a fantastic first person shooter. Not much to get excited about there.

Ironically I was far more excited by the previous two systems. During the 64 Nintendo shoved out one fantastic first party game every couple month. Wonderful revolutionary titles. Then with the Game Cube they did the same for a few months after launch. I was waiting for the next nugget with enthusiasm. With the Wii the love affair was over in a couple months, and the rest of the year felt like cold turkey. I bought three games for the console that were less then inspired, and to be honest I might have been better off buying Zelda for the Game Cube.

Seriously the console has had a shitty software lineup for its first year. Thats not saying that Sony did not do worse, but when you compare the Wii to the previous two consoles it is pathetic. I would give the console a C personally.

Perhaps thats the original posters biggest problem. The console is not living up to the standards set by the other consoles in the Nintendo line. Be my guest compare the lineups by this point in time I had eight games for the 64. By this point I had bought six games for the Game Cube. By this point I have bought 3 games for the Wii. This by the way is coming from someone who has bought well over a hundred games for the Nintendo consoles.

The poster is speaking of a sentiment that many Wii owners share. They bought the console expecting one of those fantastic Nintendo launch years, and instead got mediocre at best.

I would have to agree with the threadstarter, for me there has hardly been any interesting games on the Wii so far.

Wii Sports was fun for a few weekends, and I loved the style of RRR but I quickly lost interest. I don't really like FPS so I didn't find Metroid Prime 3 very good. Warioware was a big dissapointment compared to the GBA/DS games. RE4 has been on the ps2 before. I didn't like Excitetruck at all, but I rarely like these kinds of unrealistic racing games. Mario Party was horrible. Super Paper Mario I really liked though, and Zelda was fantastic as always. I am really looking forward to Galaxy wich is out here tomorrow I think, but after that...there is hardly anything that seems interesting. These are all just my opinions of course.

So so far quite dissapointing, but as someone pointed out, the Wii is still in its first year, and things will most likely get better. And I will have to keep the Wii to get to play those fantastic Nintendo games that I just love.

johnlucas said:

I resigned to not being able to get the system until much later now realizing the depth of the frenzy Wii caused. But luck smiled upon this old Nintendo fan. Working nightshift turned out to have its advantages as on a December 5, 2006 afternoon while paying Bill & his similarly-named friends I went to puppy-dog-paw-and-whimper at the glass case containing all the Wii-age. Lo and behold there was a notice saying Wiis would be in stock the next morning starting 8AM. "Ooooohhh YEEEAAAHH!" I thought in Macho Man Randy Savage mentality knowing that I got off at 6AM right in time to arrive at the store in plenty of time. Even getting there a little after 6:30AM I already found myself in a line that left me with a ticket called #12. Only 30 would be in stock so maybe it's fortunate that I wasn't #31. An unexpected bump up to #11 as the guy in front of me's friend let him know by phone that the Wii was obtained I eventually get my long awaited system looking back at the far over 30-long line and feeling for the Johnny-Come-Latelies. Luckily I was a Johnny-Come-Early for once.

Perfect, Words of Wisdom.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

So who is the OP ? Hus ? Diomedes?

Anyways, who cares. I give the console an A+++++, clearly the best GAMING machine i ever bought. The fun is just endless on the Wii.

Other consoles with much a higher price offer far worst games. Most Wii games are pretty good, you just need to play them.

Or if you don't know how to play real next-gen games, stick with the VC.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"