By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - super mario galaxy now a 98 at metacritic

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Also Gamedaily is a collection of tools 

I've never heard of them, but in my extremely limited playtime with Mario Galaxy, I already take issue with this snippet.

"The at-times awkward Wii-mote controls and a tacked-on co-op mode keep the game from reaching perfection."

I played through the opening and got the first Star before my sister came home. She saw I had Mario Galaxy and I offered for her to play as the 2nd player cursor. She was understandably less than enthusiastic at first, but we quickly discovered the 2nd player actually can contribute a lot. For (several) examples.

At one point we encountered a bunch of boulders rolling around on a small planet. As the 2nd cursor, she could stun these boulders and hold them in place. Not only did this let me pass, if she held them long enough, another one rams into the first, and boom, tons of easy star bits.

Later I found a cliff a little too high for me to make. But when both players make Mario jump at the same time (yes the second player can make Mario jump as well) you do an "ultra" jump that got us on top. The short cut saved a little time, and another one later did the same.

During a boss fight, I was required to hit projectiles back at my enemy. My sister could hold them in place for me and allow for easy hits.

This all in addition to holding bullet bills, collecting star bits, and stuning enemies in my way. All in the very first Galaxy. (We only have four stars so far)

And lastly, it’s co-op. How does it hurt anything, you can completely ignore it. =/

I'm not playing now because she wanted to watch Kid Nation and I really want to keep playing it with two people. Also as you may have guessed, co-op can make the game a good bit easier as well. Presumably, (I am only one Galaxy in so far) if you get stuck on something, inviting your friend to play with you might take some pressure off.

As for the “awkward” controls, I’ve barely started, so maybe there’s something later on that’s awkward, as of now I haven’t noticed anything major. I will say controlling Mario and your own cursor is much easier and more natural than I had anticipated. The actual planets so far have been somewhat disorienting and making it kind of hard to properly time jumps.

Also the camera, while smart, is often unmovable, which is somewhat annoying. At one point I was trying to look down the end of a ship, to see if anything was there. It wouldn’t let me so I tried to run out onto the end of it, only to realize you can’t really walk on it and swiftly fell and died. Maybe if I could of saw nothing was actually there, I wouldn’t have done that silly thing. =P

Around the Network

ok i don't understand metacritics averaging system....i looked at the top 4 games on it's list and worked out the mean score of all the reviews they took it from, OoT is at something like 98.89 or something which obviously rounds to 99

so far so good.
Tony Hawks rounds to just over 97.5, which rounds to 98 (which is fine numerically though i will add that the The Dreamcast Tony Hawks 2 games is the highest TH on gamerankings, but is down at like 95,....yet the PS version is the high one here...surely they should be using at least similar reviewers, yet scores are different)

SMG currently in 4th place, with more reviews than TH2, and a higher average of near 97.7...is for some reason below TH2

Soul Caliber for DreamCast is also above Maro Galaxy, yet has fewer reviews, and an average of near 97.1....which as far as i am concerned would round down to 97, yet they seem to have it at 98.

summary. Metacritic strange ranking system;
1. LoZ: OoT - 99 [22 reviews] (average of reviews = 98.95)
2. TonyH 2 - 98 [19 reviews] (average of reviews = 97.53)
3. Soul Cali - 98 [24 reviews] (average of reviews = 97.17)
4. SMGalaxy- 98 [27 reviews] (average of reviews = 97.78)

I can only assume they put some kind of weighting to different reviewers and make a different average to what i got, because they clearly are not ordering by number of reviews nor a flat mean score.....nor it seems with Soul Caliber do they round down when a score is below half-way between (unless of course the weighting has pulled it up)

so who said that over time this game will be brought down due to later reviews?.. its only gone up (so far :P)

@TWRoO, it took you longer to write that post than it took me to find this page:
http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml

You pretty much figured it out on your own, but have fun if you want to know more.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

BrainBox I have 42 stars and I haven't had a single control issue yet. Played the game somewhere around 8-10 hours and it controls better than any other 3D Mario has to this point. I'm blown away by it. It blew way past SM64 and SMS for me. We'll see how I feel when I've finished and all but this could easily end up in my top 3 games of all time.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
BrainBox I have 42 stars and I haven't had a single control issue yet. Played the game somewhere around 8-10 hours and it controls better than any other 3D Mario has to this point. I'm blown away by it. It blew way past SM64 and SMS for me. We'll see how I feel when I've finished and all but this could easily end up in my top 3 games of all time.

Do not lie to us dude. The game is 7 hours long (sorry it is stronger than me).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

@Kruze

Blast!, well i am new to metacritic.
thanks by the way.

My game wench is picking it up for me as I type from the dreaded Toys R Us. It's a secluded store so they have about a bajillion copies. YES!!!

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
My game wench is picking it up for me as I type from the dreaded Toys R Us. It's a secluded store so they have about a bajillion copies. YES!!!

That seriously made me lol.

ItsaMii said:
naznatips said:

Do not lie to us dude. The game is 7 hours long (sorry it is stronger than me).

I should also point out that I'm not even halfway through the main storyline of the game. I'm gathering more stars than most people would on first completion, but this is still the main story.  Oh, and star gathering is so much better in this game than in the other 2 3D Marios.  The levels actually change drastically with each new star you go for.  You will be playing the same Galaxy, but nothing will be the same, and you will be platforming in completely new areas.  There is no repeating the same missions in this.  Oh, and thank god they got rid of Red Coin Stars.