By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - super mario galaxy now a 98 at metacritic

Legend11 said:
If this game doesn't sell at least 2.5+ million in it's first day there's something wrong. It literally has no competition from big games on the Wii so it should be basically getting all the sales on that system.

It's not a first day type game, Legend11. Don't worry, it will likely outsell Halo 3, but it won't be nearly as front loaded.

And even sites with something of a pro-360 slant have said this game should be the game of the year (1up) and had virtually no complaints throughout the review other than "great graphics but not HD". 

Around the Network

I should be getting it on Friday. I've already made all the necessary preparations by telling my girlfriend not to come to town during the weekend, and driving away all of my friends. Then I'll head to the stores tomorrow and stockpile all the food I'll ever need, so there'll be no need to leave my home for several days. =P

Well the game is cheaper than Halo 3 and some stores are even offering a $25 gift certificate with it on top of that so it would be pretty bad if it didn't at least match Halo 3's sales. Even then it wouldn't be generating nearly as much money...

That and the fact that it really has no competition.. I mean Halo 3 is up against multiple 360 FPS with 90+ scores on Metacritic while SMG is up against umm.. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (lol) on the Wii..

SMG has every advantage (cheaper price, much much less competition, etc), so that's why I feel it should do Halo 3 sales or better, if it doesn't then it's definitely pretty disappointing to say the least.

steven787 said:
I am glad it is being reviewed this well. It makes me feel better, because it is the best game I have ever played from a technical POV. The control and level design is perfect, the game is gorgeous and it is thought evoking (in the sense that I have to wonder where games go from here).

One of the lower reviews disappeared, before there were two that were 90.

You must be mistaken about the 90 reviews, there are still 2 on metacritic, gamerankings only has 1. 

Legend11 said:
Well the game is cheaper than Halo 3 and some stores are even offering a $25 gift certificate with it on top of that so it would be pretty bad if it didn't at least match Halo 3's sales. Even then it wouldn't be generating nearly as much money...

That and the fact that it really has no competition.. I mean Halo 3 is up against multiple FPS with 90+ scores on Metacritic while SMG is up against umm.. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (lol) on the Wii..

SMG has every advantage (cheaper price, much much less competition, etc), so that's why I feel it should do Halo 3 sales or better, if it doesn't then it's definitely pretty disappointing to say the least.

Yet the fact that the game is not as front-loaded as Halo and that the target audience is not as hardcore as Halo doesn't factor in? Come on you're just saying all this BS so when the sales come in and we see lower than Halo 3 numbers (duh!) you'll say it was dissapointing etc... or am i not right Legend?

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

That and the fact that it really has no competition.. I mean Halo 3 is up against multiple 360 FPS with 90+ scores on Metacritic while SMG is up against umm.. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (lol) on the Wii..

Perhaps it's disappointing from a sales perspective, since it doesn't have nearly the hype Halo 3 did, but not disappointing from a "I paid $60 for this?  It played like the last one, only shorter.  And they advertised it as an HD game.  I thought MS said all MS published games would be $50 this generation..." perspective.

It certainly isn't disappointing critics.  Even many critics that gave Halo 3 very high reviews (1up 10/10) had a lot of complaints.  Very few critics are finding anything to complain about with Galaxy.  And it feels a hell of a lot more fresh and fun than Halo 3.

Legend11 said:

That and the fact that it really has no competition.. I mean Halo 3 is up against multiple 360 FPS with 90+ scores on Metacritic while SMG is up against umm.. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (lol) on the Wii..

You really can't use Halo 3 sales as a standard for Mario sales, I don't think any other game ever sold so many copies so fast in the US as the Halo franchise did. And in fact, Halo 3 didn't have that much competition when it came out, besides Bioshock it was the first big title to release this "holiday season".

@Legend11

Must we say it again? Mario Galaxy isn't the type of game that its fans will ALL buy it right away. Halo is the #1 reason most Xbox owners have their Xbox. As a result, most 360 owners were all waiting for Halo 3.

Mario, on the other hand, is very far from the main reason people have a Wii. In fact, I'd say that most Wii owners didn't even have him in mind when they bought theirs. He's just not the main motivating factor behind Wii sales.

However, it IS a great game. I'd say it WILL still sell phenomenally over the next few days, and it'll probably have #2 first-week sales for any exclusive title out there. And it'll have much longer legs than Halo could ever dream of.

SW-5120-1900-6153

That is great (98 average). I would not buy something based on reviews, but it is great to see UR MR GAY so high. Next time someone starts a "most Wii games sucks according to Metacritic/Game Rankings", I will say you need a Wii to play the best game ever made.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Legend11, it looks like you're just setting yourself for a disappointment. Or maybe you won't be disappointed at all.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.