By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sean Malstrom vs Metroid fans: FIGHT!

nordlead said:
Metroid got the plot stuck in a corner? Who knew? I always figured some metroid needed to be killed, and then Ridley came out of nowhere Sort of like how Gannon always manages to come back. I know there is a huge story in all 3 prime games (if you bother to read everything) but I couldn't care less if the next game forces the story to take a few creative turns.

Samus' fusion with Metroid DNA (hence Metroid Fusion) seems kinda permanent, and then there's the problem of her being an outlaw in any post-Fusion story they would care to tell.

Certainly, they could work around these problems, or potentially work with them, but i think that's the reason why it's been 8 years since Metroid Fusion, with no sign of them thinking about making a game that occurs chronologically later. Other M will supposedly bridge the gap with Super and Fusion, but that's still not making the next leap.

And it's foolish for us to presume that the game will focus on character development at the expense of gameplay, just because the hype leading in to it has focused on character development rather than gameplay. We need to get a clearer vision of it before we worry about Sakamoto destroying the franchise.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:
Why the hell is Malstrom picking on the plot? That seems very out of character for him. The plot shouldn't matter to him as long as it is a fun, accessible game. He probably just doesn't like Metroid and is looking for an excuse to hate on it.

For the record, he actually has stated many times that he likes Metroid, he even made a post about how people need to buy trilogy. 

What Malstrom is picking on is games that put stories before anything else-- stories in videogames just slow the action down and are usually very bad (even the so-called good stories are 'meh').  He is concerned that with Other M all we are hearing about in the trailers and in interviews is about the story and exploring samus's backstory and discovering more about her motherly instincts.  People don't play Metroid to learn about Samus, they play Metroid to shoot at space aliens.  Why aren't we hearing about the gameplay?  To this day we have yet to learn if this game is a 2D game, 3D game, or a hybrid-- whenever the question comes up the question is not answered.

I'm with Malstrom on this one-- also, those fans on that thread are very vicious.  Seriously, why would someone want to punch someone in the face because he is leary about how a videogame will turn out?  He said that he is hoping that he is wrong and that the game is awsome, but that he has some serious reservations about this game.  Who can blame him considering that creator of Other M also created Fusion-- the game that many fans consider to be the worst Metroid game. 

Then why pick on a game with virtually no story?

I have to confess I am not sure what game you are refering to here.  If it is other M, then reread my post as to why he (and I) are leary of the game (it is because all they are talking about is the story: Samus and her motherly instincts, blah blah blah. Why has there been no talk of the gameplay?).

If you are talking about Fusion, then the story ruined the experience of the game.  Metroid games have been about shooting aliens in an open world.  Fusion was very linear (for a Metroid game) and infused a story that was not needed (seriously, who cared about Adam and his relationship to Samus in the past).  The story ruined the Metroid experience.  

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that Fusion was a bad game (I enjoyed it), but it was a bad Metroid game (it, along with Zero Mission, are the only Metroid games I have not played through more than once).  Also, I am not saying that Other M will be a bad game, I am concerned at the direction this game appears to be heading.  I could be wrong about Other M, and it might turn out to be the greatest Metroid game ever-- we will not know until it releases.  However, I am not optomistic. 

We know nothing about the game -- Malstrom even stated the same. Both sides are getting ahead of themselves. He overreacts to anything that comes off as "gamer god", as evident by his constant ranting and accusations against Miyamoto.

I haven't played Metroid Fusion, but

"Oh Samus...." "Oh Adam...."

WTF is that??!!!

I'm with Malstrom on this one, I don't play Metroid games for the story, but the exploration, gameplay and great music. Now that I know about the story in Fusion I understand he's worried, now I'm too.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:
Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:
Why the hell is Malstrom picking on the plot? That seems very out of character for him. The plot shouldn't matter to him as long as it is a fun, accessible game. He probably just doesn't like Metroid and is looking for an excuse to hate on it.

For the record, he actually has stated many times that he likes Metroid, he even made a post about how people need to buy trilogy. 

What Malstrom is picking on is games that put stories before anything else-- stories in videogames just slow the action down and are usually very bad (even the so-called good stories are 'meh').  He is concerned that with Other M all we are hearing about in the trailers and in interviews is about the story and exploring samus's backstory and discovering more about her motherly instincts.  People don't play Metroid to learn about Samus, they play Metroid to shoot at space aliens.  Why aren't we hearing about the gameplay?  To this day we have yet to learn if this game is a 2D game, 3D game, or a hybrid-- whenever the question comes up the question is not answered.

I'm with Malstrom on this one-- also, those fans on that thread are very vicious.  Seriously, why would someone want to punch someone in the face because he is leary about how a videogame will turn out?  He said that he is hoping that he is wrong and that the game is awsome, but that he has some serious reservations about this game.  Who can blame him considering that creator of Other M also created Fusion-- the game that many fans consider to be the worst Metroid game. 

I have to confess I am not sure what game you are refering to here.  If it is other M, then reread my post as to why he (and I) are leary of the game (it is because all they are talking about is the story: Samus and her motherly instincts, blah blah blah. Why has there been no talk of the gameplay?).

If you are talking about Fusion, then the story ruined the experience of the game.  Metroid games have been about shooting aliens in an open world.  Fusion was very linear (for a Metroid game) and infused a story that was not needed (seriously, who cared about Adam and his relationship to Samus in the past).  The story ruined the Metroid experience.  

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that Fusion was a bad game (I enjoyed it), but it was a bad Metroid game (it, along with Zero Mission, are the only Metroid games I have not played through more than once).  Also, I am not saying that Other M will be a bad game, I am concerned at the direction this game appears to be heading.  I could be wrong about Other M, and it might turn out to be the greatest Metroid game ever-- we will not know until it releases.  However, I am not optomistic. 

Super Metroid

...pointed out what he believed to be plot holes in Super Metroid...

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:
Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:

I have to confess I am not sure what game you are refering to here...(cut for space)

Super Metroid

...pointed out what he believed to be plot holes in Super Metroid...

Actually, he didn't pick on Super Metroid all that much.  He mentioned the fact that it appears Metroids grew rather than evolved in Super almost in passing (whereas they appear to 'evolve' in the other games).  The message board members, in my opinion, blew that part way out of proportion.  What he talked about the most in regards to Super Metroid was when Sakamoto stated that the player felt Samus's motherly instinct when the baby metroid saved Samus (I don't know if Super has a plot hole or not-- I don't really care about that, but Malstrom is dead right that most people weren't thinking, 'Wow, Samus must be maternal' when that happened).

I get from your reply that you have not actually read Malstrom's post.  You should, even if you don't agree with him, he brings up some good points and explains why many are having reservations about the game.

Davey1983 said:

Actually, he didn't pick on Super Metroid all that much.  He mentioned the fact that it appears Metroids grew rather than evolved in Super almost in passing (whereas they appear to 'evolve' in the other games).  The message board members, in my opinion, blew that part way out of proportion.  What he talked about the most in regards to Super Metroid was when Sakamoto stated that the player felt Samus's motherly instinct when the baby metroid saved Samus (I don't know if Super has a plot hole or not-- I don't really care about that, but Malstrom is dead right that most people weren't thinking, 'Wow, Samus must be maternal' when that happened).

I get from your reply that you have not actually read Malstrom's post.  You should, even if you don't agree with him, he brings up some good points and explains why many are having reservations about the game.

No, I didn't read it.  I learned some time ago that he lets his opinion on specific games influence his writing far, far too much.  I picked apart his argument in a piece he called something like 'Mario and his Content'.  He responded by talking around my points instead of addressing them and using factually incorrect data to back himself up.  I think it would probably be a waste of my time to read his biased and wordy opinion piece on this matter.

I think he is great when it comes to the business side of things though.  That's the stuff of his that I read.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Sky Render said:
I'd go so far as to say that the plot in most games is irrelevant to some degree. It's not what most end users are buying games for in general, though there are a few niches that buy the games for their stories. Metroid started its life as a sidescroller companion piece to Zelda, where you explore and power up to face off more effectively against your enemies and eventually defeat the Big Bad that the manual mentions. It was simple, but effective (and unfortunately dragged down by identical corridors all over the place).

The series has been taking increasingly bigger turns away from that model as the years go by, however, and skirting disturbingly close to the "games are art" fringe where consistent and fun gameplay is generally considered a hindrance to "getting the message across". The whole idea of exploring the character instead of focusing on the action is way too far into this territory, especially for a series where a fair few gamers still think the main character is named Metroid, not Samus. I'd say it could use a proper reboot to its origins of action-packed and increasingly free-roaming exploration, but Metroid Prime did that quite admirably already.

So on the whole, I do agree with Malstrom on this one. Other M is being over-hyped, Sakamoto is trying to sell us on something that doesn't sound like fun and should not be used to sell games, and fans are getting incredibly defensive mostly of anyone calling Sakamoto on his ludicrous statements.

I don't get this. Isn't this kind of backwards, purist logic exactly what Nintendo has stood against these last years? Iwata has been talking about filling the gaps in Nintendo's oeuvre for some time now - this new game is likely to be one step in that process. Don't go begging the question by asuming the game will be worse or less appealing because it is headed in an ostensibly different direction - especially since the series was never that popular to begin with.

Also, that is the most ludicrous statement about game art I have ever heard. That's like saying one of the chief aims of an art film is to present the audience with a muddled picture (I know there are films that do this - the point is that they are exceptions). Hell, Metroid Prime is perhaps the most artistic of any Metroid game, and it plays and flows better than Super Metroid, to boot. Great atmosphere, level design, and delivery is what makes for both of the games' immersiveness, and those are the things that - at least I - value the most.

'Cinematic gaming', I think, is the term that you are looking for, and it is something else entirely. Granted, it appears to be the kind of experience Sakamoto is aiming for with Other M, and I admit am worried (for many reasons), but I won't judge the game before it is even out. Perhaps it will pull it off well, as a few games have, or it might be a good game otherwise.

So... I have to post here.

I am not an active VGChartz poster, but I constantly show up to check on sales. But, when browsing the board I most actively participate in, the Metroid Database (or MDb for short), which I am top poster at, this called my attention.

Seriously, don't believe Sean Malstrom. If you just read his blog post (found here), you'll see he doesn't really know his Metroid stuff.

Observe:

"And then I thought, “Whoever made this game screwed up. Metroids do not grow ‘big’. They ‘evolve’ like they did on SR-388 in Metroid II.” Since Sakamoto wasn’t part of Metroid II, I thought Super Metroid was having a ret-con but then the Omega Metroid shows up at the end of Metroid Fusion.

Super Metroid shows how poor a story teller Sakamoto is, not the opposite. Already in Super Metroid, there were contradictions which was hard to make due to how limited the story is."

Anyone who has played the games and understood them know that the Metroid in Super Metroid is big instead of Omega because the conditions and evolution process were different. They 'evolve' in SR-388 (it happened in Fusion because the BSL was made to replicate the SR-388 environment), but not in Zebes.

I don't really believe there's a possibilty of Other M turning out bad. Metroid never got a bad game (yes, I do remember Hunters; it wasn't as good as other Metroids, but still good enough), so I doubt it would happen now.

And how the devil are you gonna say you love or hate an entire game based on a two-minute trailer? Seriously, tell me.

I'll be checking this thread from time to time, but anyone who's in the mood to discuss this, join us at www.metroid-database.com/forum ! We might get nerdy at times, but, as long as you're not completely retarded, a spammer or a troll, you'll be fine.

I'm with Naner on this one.