By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sean Malstrom vs Metroid fans: FIGHT!

Gotta agree with Malstrom. Since the trailer every bit of news about this game has me fearing what it might turn out to be. I'm experiencing a general downward trend in hype the more I hear about it.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Around the Network

I kind of dislike Malstrom's articles because he hits too hard the same notes all time. Still, I agree with many -- but not all -- of his insights. However, in the matter of "Other M", I am in complete agreement with him. This is scary...

Lurker said:
The plot in Metroid is pretty irrelevant. I just want to shoot aliens and get power ups.

Thank you. This X a million.

Why the hell is Malstrom picking on the plot? That seems very out of character for him. The plot shouldn't matter to him as long as it is a fun, accessible game. He probably just doesn't like Metroid and is looking for an excuse to hate on it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I never understood metroid story, I just want cutscenes and epic gameplay

Around the Network

Nintendo will start focusing on the story more with Other M, so anyone who has been confused over the years with Metroid's story, Other M might just make you understand the entire franchise. It would be no surprise if most Metroid fans do not even care about the story, because it has not had any real depth and exploring, unlike the world itself. Especially with the Prime series. This is just my opinion and guess, nothing more.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

Metroid got the plot stuck in a corner? Who knew? I always figured some metroid needed to be killed, and then Ridley came out of nowhere Sort of like how Gannon always manages to come back. I know there is a huge story in all 3 prime games (if you bother to read everything) but I couldn't care less if the next game forces the story to take a few creative turns.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

theRepublic said:
Why the hell is Malstrom picking on the plot? That seems very out of character for him. The plot shouldn't matter to him as long as it is a fun, accessible game. He probably just doesn't like Metroid and is looking for an excuse to hate on it.

For the record, he actually has stated many times that he likes Metroid, he even made a post about how people need to buy trilogy. 

What Malstrom is picking on is games that put stories before anything else-- stories in videogames just slow the action down and are usually very bad (even the so-called good stories are 'meh').  He is concerned that with Other M all we are hearing about in the trailers and in interviews is about the story and exploring samus's backstory and discovering more about her motherly instincts.  People don't play Metroid to learn about Samus, they play Metroid to shoot at space aliens.  Why aren't we hearing about the gameplay?  To this day we have yet to learn if this game is a 2D game, 3D game, or a hybrid-- whenever the question comes up the question is not answered.

I'm with Malstrom on this one-- also, those fans on that thread are very vicious.  Seriously, why would someone want to punch someone in the face because he is leary about how a videogame will turn out?  He said that he is hoping that he is wrong and that the game is awsome, but that he has some serious reservations about this game.  Who can blame him considering that creator of Other M also created Fusion-- the game that many fans consider to be the worst Metroid game. 

Davey1983 said:
theRepublic said:

For the record, he actually has stated many times that he likes Metroid, he even made a post about how people need to buy trilogy. 

What Malstrom is picking on is games that put stories before anything else-- stories in videogames just slow the action down and are usually very bad (even the so-called good stories are 'meh').  He is concerned that with Other M all we are hearing about in the trailers and in interviews is about the story and exploring samus's backstory and discovering more about her motherly instincts.  People don't play Metroid to learn about Samus, they play Metroid to shoot at space aliens.  Why aren't we hearing about the gameplay?  To this day we have yet to learn if this game is a 2D game, 3D game, or a hybrid-- whenever the question comes up the question is not answered.

I'm with Malstrom on this one-- also, those fans on that thread are very vicious.  Seriously, why would someone want to punch someone in the face because he is leary about how a videogame will turn out?  He said that he is hoping that he is wrong and that the game is awsome, but that he has some serious reservations about this game.  Who can blame him considering that creator of Other M also created Fusion-- the game that many fans consider to be the worst Metroid game. 

Then why pick on a game with virtually no story?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I'd go so far as to say that the plot in most games is irrelevant to some degree. It's not what most end users are buying games for in general, though there are a few niches that buy the games for their stories. Metroid started its life as a sidescroller companion piece to Zelda, where you explore and power up to face off more effectively against your enemies and eventually defeat the Big Bad that the manual mentions. It was simple, but effective (and unfortunately dragged down by identical corridors all over the place).

The series has been taking increasingly bigger turns away from that model as the years go by, however, and skirting disturbingly close to the "games are art" fringe where consistent and fun gameplay is generally considered a hindrance to "getting the message across". The whole idea of exploring the character instead of focusing on the action is way too far into this territory, especially for a series where a fair few gamers still think the main character is named Metroid, not Samus. I'd say it could use a proper reboot to its origins of action-packed and increasingly free-roaming exploration, but Metroid Prime did that quite admirably already.

So on the whole, I do agree with Malstrom on this one. Other M is being over-hyped, Sakamoto is trying to sell us on something that doesn't sound like fun and should not be used to sell games, and fans are getting incredibly defensive mostly of anyone calling Sakamoto on his ludicrous statements.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.