By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can The Switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

 

Can switch become the best selling video game console in Japan?

Yes, switch #1 25 60.98%
 
No, 2nd behind the DS 8 19.51%
 
No, 3rd behind the Gameboy 6 14.63%
 
No, 4th behind the 3DS 0 0%
 
No 5th behind the PS2 2 4.88%
 
Total:41

The Switch recently passed the original Playstation to become the 5th best selling video game console in Japan. Can it reach number one? 

Here is a Mortal Kombat 1 themed picture of the situation.



Around the Network

How many units does the Switch need to sell in Japan to beat the DS?



The database here at VGChartz has the DS at 33.01

edit: Here's the others acording to VGC 

DS 33.01
GB  32.47
3DS  24.66
PS2  23.18



Chicho said:

The database here at VGChartz has the DS at 33.01

edit: Here's the others acording to VGC 

DS 33.01
GB  32.47
3DS  24.66
PS2  23.18

So the Switch needs to sell 10 million in about three years? It can probably do that.



If Nintendo plays their cards right, then yes, it absolutely can.

However, that would require no replacement until holiday 2023 or later, and strong software support up until that point.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If Nintendo plays their cards right, then yes, it absolutely can.

However, that would require no replacement until holiday 2023 or later, and strong software support up until that point.

We have strong software support coming in 2022, and a replacement late 2023 seems possible (Even if I think it will come earlier in 2023).

So, yeah, it can outsell the DS. It won't if Nintendo screws it up, what I don't think they will.



I have a Youtube channel... A Twitter, and... Yeah.

At this point i don't see how it doesn't.



Yearly sales are something like this 3.3, 3.4, 4.5, 5.9 and this year probably another 5.9 which would total around 23m by years end. From 2022 onwards NSW would need just 10m more sales with price cuts galore and big software titles still to come.



It is currently far behind the DS launch aligned, so I don't think it will.

However, I agree with Curl-6. If Nintendo doesn't announce the next console, it should be able to do it.



ShadowLink93 said:

Yearly sales are something like this 3.3, 3.4, 4.5, 5.9 and this year probably another 5.9 which would total around 23m by years end. From 2022 onwards NSW would need just 10m more sales with price cuts galore and big software titles still to come.

There's always the chance it could be prematurely replaced and have a PS4 type transition where it's quickly phased out without a price cut.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.