Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Any advantage of Series X on a 1080p TV?

I've seen the comparisons between the Series X and S but the the differences seem to only be noticeable on 4K TVs.  I know about the disc drive and greater storage space, but is there any advantage to the way games will play in 1080p on a Series X than on a Series S?  Would games have graphical or audio improvements on Series X, for instance?

If all I care about is how the games play, am I effectively throwing $200 away if I get a Series X over Series S to use on a 1080p TV?



SW-3707-5131-3911

Around the Network

Super sampling will help on the anti-aliasing and better texture quality. Also it would help you future proof for when you upgrade your TV. besides it is possible that there is some performance mode that will make the game run better than series S when in lower res.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

I haven't heard of any advantage other than the discs and greater storage space



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

The X will also have the more stable framerate if you're into that. The S really is significantly weaker than the X and developers are already complaining that it's hard to run games on it. I'd say the S is in most cases a terrible proposition unless you really cannot afford more.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
The X will also have the more stable framerate if you're into that. The S really is significantly weaker than the X and developers are already complaining that it's hard to run games on it. I'd say the S is in most cases a terrible proposition unless you really cannot afford more.

In that case I would prefer to save money and keep the X1 since for the next 2 years you`ll have mostly crossgen.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
vivster said:
The X will also have the more stable framerate if you're into that. The S really is significantly weaker than the X and developers are already complaining that it's hard to run games on it. I'd say the S is in most cases a terrible proposition unless you really cannot afford more.

In that case I would prefer to save money and keep the X1 since for the next 2 years you`ll have mostly crossgen.

That's definitely the better idea. I already predict a LOT of disappointed S customers. Every new game will have a list of things that are terrible on the S compared to the X.

A console is at minimum a 5 year investment, it would be stupid to skimp out just for a few bucks.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kenjab said:

I've seen the comparisons between the Series X and S but the the differences seem to only be noticeable on 4K TVs.  I know about the disc drive and greater storage space, but is there any advantage to the way games will play in 1080p on a Series X than on a Series S?  Would games have graphical or audio improvements on Series X, for instance?

If all I care about is how the games play, am I effectively throwing $200 away if I get a Series X over Series S to use on a 1080p TV?

For which nextgen games have you seen a comparison between Series X and Series S?

Even on a 1080p TV the image quality should be better due to supersampling.

And the Series S storage will limit much faster. So many Series S buyers will also pay $499 eventually (base console + proprietary SSD).

Series S + 1 TB SSD = ~$499 with 50% more storage, but only 1/3 performance, ~2/3 RAM, no disc drive, no option to buy and sell retail games, no "X enhanced" older Xbox games

Series X without expansion = $499 with 33% less storage, but 3x performance, 1.6x RAM, a UHD disc drive for movies and games, option to buy and sell retail games, best versions of BC games

Series X seems to be the much better deal IMHO.



DonFerrari said:

In that case I would prefer to save money and keep the X1 since for the next 2 years you`ll have mostly crossgen.

I don't have an XBox One so that won't work.  And I'd much rather get a Series S/X than a One S that's still the same price as a Series S will be.



SW-3707-5131-3911

Conina said:
kenjab said:

I've seen the comparisons between the Series X and S but the the differences seem to only be noticeable on 4K TVs.  I know about the disc drive and greater storage space, but is there any advantage to the way games will play in 1080p on a Series X than on a Series S?  Would games have graphical or audio improvements on Series X, for instance?

If all I care about is how the games play, am I effectively throwing $200 away if I get a Series X over Series S to use on a 1080p TV?

For which nextgen games have you seen a comparison between Series X and Series S?

Even on a 1080p TV the image quality should be better due to supersampling.

And the Series S storage will limit much faster. So many Series S buyers will also pay $499 eventually (base console + proprietary SSD).

Series S + 1 TB SSD = ~$499 with 50% more storage, but only 1/3 performance, ~2/3 RAM, no disc drive, no option to buy and sell retail games, no "X enhanced" older Xbox games

Series X without expansion = $499 with 33% less storage, but 3x performance, 1.6x RAM, a UHD disc drive for movies and games, option to buy and sell retail games, best versions of BC games

Series X seems to be the much better deal IMHO.

I haven't seen any such comparisons, that's partly why I created the thread, LOL.

Thanks for the breakdown.  I'm not a heavy gamer so I may not need the extra storage, at least right away, and it's as much for my kids to play with their friends as it is for me.  And the vast majority of kids have XBox (and Switch) over Playstation, at least among my kids' friends.



SW-3707-5131-3911

Performance modes taking 30fps games to 60fps.

PS5 already has this confirmed for several titles and I imagine it will become very common next gen. Trade 4k for 60fps

As Series S will already be at 1080p most times, it likely will not feature any effective performance modes