Forums - PC Discussion - Finally Finished Chrono Trigger

Tagged games:

So I finally finished Chrono Trigger, a game I missed playing in my youth due to it being a rare game to get hold of where I am from. I am no fan of JRPGs however I did finished FF7 on my PS1 and I heard this game needs to be played. Well I finally did it and I must say I am very impressed. 

I played this on Steam and I heard the game copped a few complaints due to the PC port. However what was the issue with the PC port? The game scaled well, offers clean visuals and those cutscenes look amazing. I did play the latest version of the game so I am guessing they fixed a few issues with its latest patch? 

The game's cutscenes reminds me of DBZ so much that every time I thought Chrono was going to go super Saiyan haha. Yes I know the same artist was involved. The game also has some of the best gaming music iv heard and the character development in the game is very detailed. Each character has a story to tell and an interesting one to be part of too.  It never felt boring or the same. I also much prefer the battle system in CT then the random encounters you find in 99% of other JRPG games.

Is it better than FF7? Hmm I wouldn't say it beats FF7 but good in its very own way in my opinion, I do find that Chrono Trigger has aged very well while FF7 did not but I did like the characters a lot in FF7 so both games hold a special place in my heart but I will have to say I will slightly edge anyone that loves JRPGs to play Chrono Trigger since its a game that has aged well over the course of time (Pun intended) and the music and cutscenes are well worth experiencing.

(In game screenshots on my Steam account)

Is Chrono Cross worth a play through? It doesn't look as appealing, seems more like the Xenoblade 1 to Xenoblade 2 games which took a completely different approach from eachother, however I have not played it yet. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 March 2019

Around the Network

The complaints about the PC port were mostly directed at how it originally was when Square Enix released it. They had changed the graphics and interface to look basically like a mobile game, but they eventually changed them back to the original style. I still need to get around to finishing the game some day. I've started it twice and gotten over halfway through both times, the first time the game broke, and the second time my save data was corrupted so I've never been able to play it all the way through.



My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #14: A Moment of Calm

2. Gods and Superheroes: The Story of Clover Studio

3. Video Game Music Spotlight #13: Winter and Cold

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Congrats

I finished the game at least 10 times (between snes and ps1 versions)

I got the game on DS and will play it soon

Also have it on steam which is in my list to play in the future as well

One of the best JRPGs made

 

 Chrono Cross isn’t as good as Trigger but still enjoyable and has some ties to the original which is referenced multiple times throughout the sequel 

 

There’s also a inbetween spinoff called Radical Dreamers but it’s not a RPG



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Azzanation said:

So I finally finished Chrono Trigger, a game I missed playing in my youth due to it being a rare game to get hold of where I am from. I am no fan of JRPGs however I did finished FF7 on my PS1 and I heard this game needs to be played. Well I finally did it and I must say I am very impressed. 

I played this on Steam and I heard the game copped a few complaints due to the PC port. However what was the issue with the PC port? The game scaled well, offers clean visuals and those cutscenes look amazing. I did play the latest version of the game so I am guessing they fixed a few issues with its latest patch? 

The game's cutscenes reminds me of DBZ so much that every time I thought Chrono was going to go super Saiyan haha. Yes I know the same artist was involved. The game also has some of the best gaming music iv heard and the character development in the game is very detailed. Each character has a story to tell and an interesting one to be part of too.  It never felt boring or the same. I also much prefer the battle system in CT then the random encounters you find in 99% of other JRPG games.

Is it better than FF7? Hmm I wouldn't say it beats FF7 but good in its very own way in my opinion, I do find that Chrono Trigger has aged very well while FF7 did not but I did like the characters a lot in FF7 so both games hold a special place in my heart but I will have to say I will slightly edge anyone that loves JRPGs to play Chrono Trigger since its a game that has aged well over the course of time (Pun intended) and the music and cutscenes are well worth experiencing.

(In game screenshots on my Steam account)

Is Chrono Cross worth a play through? I doesn't look as appealing, seems more like the Xenoblade 1 to Xenoblade 2 games which took a completely different approach from eachother, however I have not played it yet. Any thoughts?

Yup, it's one of my favorite videogame soundtracks as well.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-s-VQBoUdc

It's one of my favorite games of all time, and the game that sparked my fascination with time traveling mechanics in videogames. As you say, it still holds up very well to this day much because of the art style they went with. So people who are interested should give it a try.
I've played through this game multiple times on both SNES and PS1, and it was always a joy all the way through. I hope you checked out some of the different endings.

Chrono Cross was to me not as good as Trigger, but it was a good game. And it also sported a great soundtrack.
Some of the reasons for me liking Cross less was that there weren't many dual or triple attacks, which was something I really enjoyed in the original. And the 'time travel' aspect doesn't affect the game the same way. But it did have an interesting story and characters.

Last edited by Hiku - on 21 March 2019

Gonna say, where were you at the game's launch?.

It was absolutely terrible. Gamers complained that it was practically a mobile port, with mobile UI included and generally a terrible porting process, that make it look worse than the original when emulated. Like, I get that you "game on PC", but you don't seem to peer into what actually goes on. I don't own Neir, but I brushed up and researched into why that port was crap.



                                       

Around the Network

One of my favorite games of all time. Also, my first RPG. I say avoid Chrono Cross. It has its fans and it was beautiful on PS1 with a great battle system but story (and characters) is king. The one in CC was just a confusing, meandering mess.

*Edit* the soundtrack for Chrono Cross was incredible, though. Definitely worth checking out.



mZuzek loves AA batteries

I've never finished it, started the game about 3 times, getting reasonably far each time. I never felt the urge to ever finish it unfortunately :/



think-man said:
I've never finished it, started the game about 3 times, getting reasonably far each time. I never felt the urge to ever finish it unfortunately :/

You poor poor soul



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

BasilZero said:
think-man said:
I've never finished it, started the game about 3 times, getting reasonably far each time. I never felt the urge to ever finish it unfortunately :/

You poor poor soul

I tried :( its not a bad game. I just didn't think it was anything special. 



My favorite 2D JRPG of all time.