By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally Finished Chrono Trigger

Tagged games:

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game ever. I've finished it a lot of times in different consoles.

I enjoyed Chronos Cross as well, just not as much.

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games. Probably the best SNES RPG ever.

About Chrono Cross, I finished the first disc, then I gave up later. It's good, but you can't compare it to Chrono Trigger.

Don’t bother with CHRONO cross, it’s a bit of a mess. You should check out suikoden 2 next if you are checking off the best RPG’s of all time though. Suikoden 2, along with chrono trigger and ff7 are the top 3.

Chazore said:
Gonna say, where were you at the game's launch?.

It was absolutely terrible. Gamers complained that it was practically a mobile port, with mobile UI included and generally a terrible porting process, that make it look worse than the original when emulated. Like, I get that you "game on PC", but you don't seem to peer into what actually goes on. I don't own Neir, but I brushed up and researched into why that port was crap.

I waited for the game to be on sale before jumping on it. I didn't think I had the time to finish a JRPG so I just waited. I heard the criticisms on the Steam version which I did not read too much into but heard something about it being a mobile port. That probably helped me decide to wait for the sale. After recently finishing it, they must of fixed up the game very well with its latest update because I felt the game looked as good as it ever did with no mobile UI etc. I guess I skipped all the bad issues when the sale was on. The PC port of Chrono Trigger is amazing in my opinion.

Azelover said:
One of the best games ever.

It's a pity that you didn't play it years ago or at the time it came out. It's still great, but back then it was absolutely incredible.

Definitely better than Chrono Cross. I'd love to have a good remake of Trigger.

I wish I did to, however in the 90s, buying games was very hard back than. It was sad because some game stores stocked some games that others did not, there was no Ebay, there was no digital purchases, there really wasn't a way to find out where I could have got the game from and back than I didn't drive either. Plus $90 was a lot of money for me back than as a school boy. I heard the praises of the game and I was one of those kids back than that use to dream of playing these games. Its probably why I have nothing against digital media because it has made things so much easier to obtain games now. Modern gaming is so easy now. If I was a kid today, id be spoiled for choice.

Azzanation said:

I waited for the game to be on sale before jumping on it. I didn't think I had the time to finish a JRPG so I just waited. I heard the criticisms on the Steam version which I did not read too much into but heard something about it being a mobile port. That probably helped me decide to wait for the sale. After recently finishing it, they must of fixed up the game very well with its latest update because I felt the game looked as good as it ever did with no mobile UI etc. I guess I skipped all the bad issues when the sale was on. The PC port of Chrono Trigger is amazing in my opinion.

The game wasn't exactly expensive to begin with. £12 was basically the same price as Stardew Valley, or Starbound. 

It took them nearly a year to fix the mobile port.

Definitely a good game without a doubt. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

When it was first released on steam it was the port that had been made for mobile.  The interface was pretty bad, assets were the not up to expectations, there were some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.  All of that is fixed now so you probably didn't run into them.

I like Akira Toriyama's character designs. Chrono Trigger, FF7, and FF6 are in my top tier of old JRPGs.  FF7 looks a bit dated now as apposed to Chrono Trigger and FF6 given that they sprite based.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

To be honest, I never like Chrono Trigger a huge lot (I do like it though). It took me a few times to get into it, the dystopian future kind of put me off. I eventually got around to beating it. It took a bit for me to get a hang of the story. But it was overall a fantastic game. Chrono Cross on the other hand blew me away. The atmosphere, the art, the colours, the characters, and maybe my favourite soundtrack to a game. I listen to it to this day when I want to listen to game music. I find people complaining about it are all either "The story was stupid, I didn't understand it" or "The game was too dark, not like Chrono Trigger." which is ironic considering how dark and tragic Chrono Trigger really is (The dystopian future, Schala's story was fucking sad.)

Spoiler!
Spoiler text.So Chrono Cross's story is about dealing with Schala and the aftermath of destroying a future (he dystopian universe being destroyed caused a rift in the universe causing a parallel universe.)

The story itself was never finished. Literally stuff happens and then you go to the end boss. The game also has a ton of endings. I'm not sure how different they are, but one sounds like it's very different. I only finished it once, but the game managed to stick with me like few do. The game is absolutely beautiful. Some of, if not the best locals I've seen in a game. And again, one of the best sound tracks. I plan to replay Chrono Cross again at some point, I don't think I'd ever touch Chrono Trigger again (Maybe youtube cutscenes). Ultimately, for me, Chrono Cross is a very atmospheric game. It takes you into the world and brings you in for a ride.

A Masterful, timeless game, one of my favorites ever. The characters, story and sidequests are so memorable and the game is perfectly paced. The OST is simply godly.

SpokenTruth said:
think-man said:

I tried :( its not a bad game. I just didn't think it was anything special. 

How far did you get?

The last time, I think it was some prehistoric bone village or something 

SpokenTruth said:
think-man said:

The last time, I think it was some prehistoric bone village or something 

OK, you are still way early in the game.  It gets much better.

Yes, I agree.