Quantcast
Global Hardware 2 February 2019

Forums - Latest Charts - Global Hardware 2 February 2019

zorg1000 said:
setsunatenshi said:

If you factor in PC gaming you your have a much more harmonized picture. PC gaming is much more prevalent in Europe than in the US, and infinitely more than Japan.

I know but I was just talking dedicated consoles/handhelds. Its always hard adding PC since we dont really know the number of people who play on gaming PC in any region.

Steam helps with that, but yeah, it's not as clear cut as consoles for sure. 



Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, from a German PC hardware forum I could get that they consider the Switch mostly too pricey and too weak (well, many consider the One X too weak there, it's a site for high-end PC gaming and upgrading after all, but the Switch is special case there). However, they do see the game lineup and consider it worthwhile if the price comes down. It should be noted though that a PS4 is generally cheaper to find there than a Switch, as almost all the time at least somebody has a promotion on the PS4 going, but that's rarely the case with the Switch.

@Setsunatenshi: It's not just that, it's also their background as Computer gamers. They are used to higher-end graphics, a department where Nintendo traditionally lags behind. Also, much more Playstation ads than Nintendo ads there.

I agree, but not just on the graphics part. The type of gaming experiences people tend to appreciate in Europe are the more "mature" ones. Nintendo still carries the kind of "toy for kids" perception in here.

Just an anecdotal experience that kind of illustrates this, I tried to get my gf into trying gaming for the first time, so I thought I would ease her in with some Super Mario (easy controls, 2d, etc). After 5 minutes of her failing miserably to control the character and complaining about video games being "for kids", she saw me playing Dirt Rally. Her comments then were: "oh, this looks much better, can I try?". I was like "are you sure? this is much harder than the previous one." She took the controls over and 30 minutes and 1000 crashes later she was still having fun with it.

There seems to be an aversion for more casuals or non gamers to try a more childish experience (with cartoony graphics, etc) than a more realistic looking game. Maybe it's something cultural, but it's extremely prevalent here.

Hmmm, I don't know, might also be that your gf is into racing. Because calling Nintendo kiddie largely died in my region (Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium) over the last years. Maybe not in yours, I don't know.

I can still remember some Germans bashing the Wii for not having mature games, only to learn that the Wii had such games - they were just too hardcore for Germany (House of the Dead: Overkill, MadWorld, ManHunt 2, Project Zero 2 (aka Fatal Frame 2), the Wii version of Scarface (since it got not bowlderized for Germany like the other ones) and originally No more Heroes were either not released in Germany because their Publishers knew they'd never pass the BPjM or simply didn't pass regulations there.



Dulfite said:
zorg1000 said:

Europe in general is behind than if going by population.

Population

United States-325m

European Union-512m

Japan-127m

 

Total sales this week

US-171,505

Europe-216,846

Japan-100,223

 

The EU has ~4x the population of Japan but only ~2x the sales and ~1.5x the population of the US but only ~1.25x the sales.

I'm curious if this is normal or a downward trend?

Hmm, interesting question. So, I looked at VGC data for european sales:

This includes handhelds. As you can see the DS was massive in europe, and nothing replaced it really, so europe looks weaker in that regard.

If you exclude handhelds:

This is not that clear-cut anymore. As PS4 was accompinied by relatively weak consoles the last years look weaker than the Wii+PS3+X360 years. Still, not a massive decline, but a moderately weaker time.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 February 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

I'm curious if this is normal or a downward trend?

Hmm, interesting question. So, I looked at VGC data for european sales:

This includes handhelds. As you can see the DS was massive in europe, and nothing replaced it really, so europe looks weaker in that regard.

If you exclude handhelds:

This is not thta clear-cut anymore. As PS4 was accompinied by relatively weak consoles the last years look weaker than the Wii+PS3+X360 years. Still, not a massive decline, but a moderately weaker time.

That doesnt help without also seeing the trends of US or Japan because hes asking about Europes performance in relation to the other regions.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

setsunatenshi said:
zorg1000 said:

I know but I was just talking dedicated consoles/handhelds. Its always hard adding PC since we dont really know the number of people who play on gaming PC in any region.

Steam helps with that, but yeah, it's not as clear cut as consoles for sure. 

 

You can see that PC gaming is huge globally. In the Asian market it completely dominates the console market. PC gaming gets bigger every year.

Now for the spending it's not an accurate representation since a lot of people just play free to play games without spending money, such as League of Legends and Dota 2. Also the PC offers cheaper games, so most PC gamers just wait for sales or find a game for a cheaper price on another storefront/distribution site. Example is DOOM 2016 on launch day was $30 on G2A. It was a Steam code.

Last edited by Sogreblute - on 21 February 2019

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

That doesnt help without also seeing the trends of US or Japan because hes asking about Europes performance in relation to the other regions.

Fair enough. Here a regional breakdown of the sales, first overall and then separated for home console and handheld:

I counted Switch both toward home console and handheld, so the recent upswing in handhelds is all Switch.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
zorg1000 said:

That doesnt help without also seeing the trends of US or Japan because hes asking about Europes performance in relation to the other regions.

Fair enough. Here a regional breakdown of the sales, first overall and then separated for home console and handheld:

I counted Switch both toward home console and handheld, so the recent upswing in handhelds is all Switch.

Thank you! Very informative and shows every region has pretty much the same sales trends.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

People need to realize that the PS4 is still $300, after nearly 6 years on the market and games like Kingdom Hearts 3/Resident Evil 2 Remake can only do so much to drive an old platform that is priced so high.

Price cuts need to happen to drive new sales, but Sony is still selling really well anyways. This is just Switch's time to shine.



Tridrakious said:
People need to realize that the PS4 is still $300, after nearly 6 years on the market and games like Kingdom Hearts 3/Resident Evil 2 Remake can only do so much to drive an old platform that is priced so high.

Price cuts need to happen to drive new sales, but Sony is still selling really well anyways. This is just Switch's time to shine.

5 years and 2 months isnt nearly 6 years....but your point still stands, PS4 sales are very impressive.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Mnementh said:

This shows how bad Nintendo in general performs in europe. Japan has 130 million inhabitants, europe has 750 million. Even if you only count the EU, that are over 500 million people. Nintendo really needs to step up their game in europe, it hurts them that they are so behind in this region.

Europe in general is behind than if going by population.

Population

United States-325m

European Union-512m

Japan-127m

 

Total sales this week

US-171,505

Europe-216,846

Japan-100,223

 

The EU has ~4x the population of Japan but only ~2x the sales and ~1.5x the population of the US but only ~1.25x the sales.

Europe is more PC centric, but that depends on the country. For example, average Brit is not that different than average American (in terms of hardware purchases).