By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
retroking1981 said:

THANK YOU! I agree 100% with you.

Although my problem comes from their Nintendo reviews. 1 good point I think you raise though is that they review the 360 versions of high ranking multi platform games, this is true but what I find worse is that if its a average multi platform game you can bet it'll be the PS3 version reviewed, e.g. Resident Evil 5. This might not sound like a big issue but it drastically effects the gamerankings average, that 7/10 for the Resident Evil 5 only drags down the PS3 average not the 360 version.

Edge reviews that I cant understand this gen:

Bayonetta 360 10/10 - this is a great game from what I've played but its no way an edge 10.

Gears of War 2 360 9/10 - not that I don't think that this game deserves a 9 but edge gave the original a 8. The old Edge wouldn't have given a game that doesn't drastically improve on the original a higher mark.

Halo 3 360 10/10 - again this is a great game, edge gave the original a 10 and rightly so, but did 3 do much more? If your thinking online then 2 really stared that with a bang and they only gave that a 9. I think this is a perfect example of edge over rating a 360 game.

Metroid Prime Trilogy wii 8/10 - If The Orange Box got a perfect 10 for 'value' then where's the consistency for this amazing triple pack?

New Super Mario Bros Wii 7/10 - 7? for possibly the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World, I know we live in the 3D HD era but come on, this game deserves at least an 8

Metroid Prime 3 7/10 - They said in their rev.iew that the controls were amazing and much better than the GC controls yet only a 7.

Wii Sports Resort 6/10 - now this was a vast improvement on wii sports yet they gave it less? If gears 2 was better than 1 then this was definitely better than wii sports, again where's the consistency.

Edge used to almost always give the lowest mark by any reviewer to any game hence them becoming infamous for being harsh, but in a good way. If edge gave a game 8 you could bet it was amazing and probably a 9 by most other reviewers standards and if they gave out a 10 you knew to by it without a second thought. NOT ANYMORE.....

Now their reviews are just like anyone else's, the best example is Bayonetta. At the moment it has a very respectable 89.84% for the 360 on gamerankings yet edge gave it 10, that's so mad, edge were never off the mark like that years ago. Another example of them being off the mark is NSMBwii, gamerankings 88.50% edge score 7. In fact if you go through most critically acclaimed wii games you'll find that it seems to be edge with the lowest score more often than not and the ones where they aren't they seem to purposely over rate crap e.g. Lets Tap 8/10.

Edge used to be different in a respected effortless way, now they seem to be different for the sake of it.

Its even lost Biffo - edge sucks!

In recent years Edge's review scores have been very bizzare, but the content and the quality of writing is still very good and they do make some good points when talking about games. Anyway, the scores above do show how odd Edge's scoring system can be, especially compared to their older scores. There seems to be no real consensus with the publication on how to score games anymore.

In defence of Edge on the Metroid Prime Trilogy pack though, all 3 had already been released so fans were likely to already have all 3 games or at least played 1. An 8 for 3 old games is actually a good (and well deserved) score. Orange box on the other hand had HL2:Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress on top of 2 older titles which is why it probably scored so highly.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
If you start applying rules to reviewers telling them they have to score more or less based on previous scores they gave games then it will become a joke. Retroking1981, your idea of conforming to previous reviews is terrible and would only serve to make review scores even more of a joke than they are now.

your right and I agree 100%, if everyone was like that then there would be no point in opinions.

its just that they seem to purposely go against the grain to be different.  they were the first (to my knowledge) western publication to review bayonetta, ive never know them to do that. its as if they jumped the gun to agree with famitsu and get more attention for themselves before anyone else could. i cant remember another game where edge gave a higher mark that any other major reviewer.

my main problem with them is their inconsistency with their reviews as I pointed out with a few of my examples, not so much that they tend to over rate the 360 games and under rate the ps3/wii games. that might just be a coincidence even though I personally agree with it like heedstone.

EDGE are wankers. Am glad it's not just the Wii they are biased against although i hadn't noticed the anti-PS3 bias before. Maybe it would be an idea to do some research and see if there is a noticable scores bias towards Xbox. Would be great if figures could be shown that could get them kicked off metacritic!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Scoobes said:

In recent years Edge's review scores have been very bizzare, but the content and the quality of writing is still very good and they do make some good points when talking about games. Anyway, the scores above do show how odd Edge's scoring system can be, especially compared to their older scores. There seems to be no real consensus with the publication on how to score games anymore.

In defence of Edge on the Metroid Prime Trilogy pack though, all 3 had already been released so fans were likely to already have all 3 games or at least played 1. An 8 for 3 old games is actually a good (and well deserved) score. Orange box on the other hand had HL2:Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress on top of 2 older titles which is why it probably scored so highly.

so these were 'new' titles at the time? if so then that gos some way to explaining it. maybe i should have done a bit of homework first on that

anyway im happy to say i own both MP Trilogy and Orange Box, both fantastic packages, anyone with access to them should def check them out. Id give them both 9/10 if anyone cares, lol.

Portal is amazing!

slowmo said:
If you start applying rules to reviewers telling them they have to score more or less based on previous scores they gave games then it will become a joke. Retroking1981, your idea of conforming to previous reviews is terrible and would only serve to make review scores even more of a joke than they are now.

I'm sure if they were slanted more towards the PS3 or Wii you would have a problem with them. Fanboyism has absolutely no place in video game journalism and reviews whether it be genre bias or platform bias, it's crap.

Around the Network

@Retroking, thanks for finding some figures to back me up dude! I knew I wasn't imagining it! NSMBW was one of the last reviews I read of theirs, and I'd actually decided not to buy it because of the review (till I played it at a mates house and found out it rocked!) I used to like the fact that EDGE gave out harsh reviews, didn't mind it a bit. But the same rules should apply to all the consoles, I'm perplexed as to why X-box gets the special treatment. I'm glad you picked me up on the multi-platform reviews too, I'd never thought about the way it'd affect the gamerankings scores! lol @ lets tap 8/10, that makes it better than NSMBW!!! Biffo was cool, always an entertaining read!

The dude abides   

kowenicki said:
peachbuggy said:
EDGE are wankers. Am glad it's not just the Wii they are biased against although i hadn't noticed the anti-PS3 bias before. Maybe it would be an idea to do some research and see if there is a noticable scores bias towards Xbox. Would be great if figures could be shown that could get them kicked off metacritic!

its just paranoid bs.  they dont pander to the internet fanboy bullies.... good for them.

like i said in the other thread...

whats wrong with:

Edge scores:

LBP 100  (meta 95)

Demon souls 90  (meta 89)

Uncharted2 90  (meta 96)

Ratchet and Clank 80  (Meta 89)

SMG 100 (meta 97)

Leg Of Z TP 90 (meta 95)

SSBB 90 (meta 93)

Resi 4 90 (meta 91)

just because it doesnt suit you on some games its biased... ??

Not necessarily biased, just goes out of its way to cause controversy, thus getting attention. I'm not the only one who thinks this, either so maybe this argument has some credibility to it. Also iirc games magazines like this 1 rely on advertising for revenue, so who's to say they haven't taken a "backhander"!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

kowenicki said:
fair review from a magazine that writes very good descriptive reviews. did you read the review or just look at the score and start crying?

btw... hiding behind an alt account is a bit soft isnt it.

As explained before, it is not an alt account.  I it's just that I've never been irritated enough to write on here before.

Yes I read the review, even agreed with parts of it.  The score is pathetic though.  The same as plenty other ps3 exclusives.

The dude abides   

peachbuggy said:
Not necessarily biased, just goes out of its way to cause controversy, thus getting attention. I'm not the only one who thinks this, either so maybe this argument has some credibility to it. Also iirc games magazines like this 1 rely on advertising for revenue, so who's to say they haven't taken a "backhander"!

this is exactly my point, nice one peachbuggy

the problem the OP has with edge is that its the 360 that tends to get the high marks for controversy and ps3/wii the low marks. not all the time (no more heroes 9/10, demon souls 9/10) but most of the time (mario kart wii 6/10, killzone 2 7/10)

heedstone said:
kowenicki said:
fair review from a magazine that writes very good descriptive reviews. did you read the review or just look at the score and start crying?

btw... hiding behind an alt account is a bit soft isnt it.

As explained before, it is not an alt account.  I it's just that I've never been irritated enough to write on here before.

Yes I read the review, even agreed with parts of it.  The score is pathetic though.  The same as plenty other ps3 exclusives.

Umm, Edge gave LBP, Demon Souls, and Uncharted 2 all very good scores. If you are upset that MAG got a bad rating, do not blame edge because IGN, Eurogamer, Videogamer etc all slammed MAG as well. The Edge score is pretty close to the others.