By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
slowmo said:
MAG is a average shooter with a unique premise, the score wasn't obviously less than other reviews so you're just bitching because they had a different view of one of your favourite current games. Games TM gave Assassins Creed 1 a score of 4, did I cry about it, no I read the review and decided I could live with the downsides. As it happens the reviewers opinion was wrong on the score but is pros and cons hit the nail on the head that he wrote in the review.

The bias overspilling your words makes your rant have very little value to me, you have no proof of them favouring 360 ports of games as you've not bothered to get ACTUAL numbers of games they did this on in any issue, let alone the one you're upset about.

Ever considered that the fact they get to play the best games on all consoles is why they don't score some PS3 exclusives as high as you would like?

Nooo, not really that...just needs some major patching and updates is all. But I do agree, I don't think Edge are "biased".

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
slowmo said:
MAG is a average shooter with a unique premise, the score wasn't obviously less than other reviews so you're just bitching because they had a different view of one of your favourite current games. Games TM gave Assassins Creed 1 a score of 4, did I cry about it, no I read the review and decided I could live with the downsides. As it happens the reviewers opinion was wrong on the score but is pros and cons hit the nail on the head that he wrote in the review.

The bias overspilling your words makes your rant have very little value to me, you have no proof of them favouring 360 ports of games as you've not bothered to get ACTUAL numbers of games they did this on in any issue, let alone the one you're upset about.

Ever considered that the fact they get to play the best games on all consoles is why they don't score some PS3 exclusives as high as you would like?

Nooo, not really that...just needs some major patching and updates is all. But I do agree, I don't think Edge are "biased".

At this time, thats all it is, you don't review on potential...

slowmo said:
huaxiong90 said:
slowmo said:

I suppose you're right. Still, I just think given that this is an online only game, these things should be taken into account.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

If you religiously bought Edge for over 4 years you should know very well how they score games. As in, a game doesn't have to get a 10 to be good.

Personally, I have no problem at all with Edge. In fact, I find them to be one of the few reviewers that don't suck the big one, even though I disagree with their views on several occasions.

slowmo said:
huaxiong90 said:
slowmo said:

There were also lots of great shooters released in the past years and only a few really bad ones, so I'd say being average in the shooter genre actually means the game is good.

They're just more better FPS available at the moment.

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
slowmo said:
huaxiong90 said:
slowmo said:

I suppose you're right. Still, I just think given that this is an online only game, these things should be taken into account.

I think if it had been a Downloadable game rather than boxed it might have faired better in reviews.  It's a case that a PSN title would score heavier for value and there would be more of an assumption the game would be constantly updated imo.  I still think MAG is a great game for the right gamer but it would be wrong to review it and give potential customers the wrong information.  Its better a customer who likes something is upset with a review, than loads of people being angry because they've wasted money on a purchase they don't like through bad advice.  I'm sure any criticism they had in the review would have mentioned that the game will be regularly patched and updated still.

@Barozi - Don't get me wrong, for a selection of gamers I'm sure MAG will be their favourite game this gen, it will be a cult hit.  It's a good game but there is far better competition in the field of FPS like you say hance why it would always struggle to get 8,9 and 10's.

heedstone said:

I find it hard to talk about EDGE without using expletives but here goes.....

I used to get Edge magazine religiously for over 4 years, iI found it to be a high quality magazine which I found to give great insight into the video game industry, and its reviews were what always influenced my video game purchases the most over this time.

However, in recent times there can be no doubt that the staff at Edge have definatley pinned their colours to the mast.  It's not just evident in the consistently low scores the PS3 (and Wii) games get, but the fact that it's always the X-box version that is tested in nearly every Multi-platform game review they do.  The Edge staff clearly prefer to use the 360, and in doing so have gone from being impartial advisors, to being 360 fanboys.

I stopped buying Edge a few months ago for just this reason (I now buy GAMEStm - a much better magazine all-round), but am still continually infuriated when I hear of their reviews (MAG being the latest).  It really irritates me that a magazine that I once held in high regard seems intent on kicking dirt in the faces of non-360 owners.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant (which I suppose it is!), I generally never post on forums, but after reading the EDGE review for MAG, it irritated me so much, I actually had to write something or I'd explode.  As for MAG, I have found it to be an excellent game, and and a hell of a lot of fun (nowhere near the 6/10 EDGE gave it).  I personally find it more enjoyable than killzone or COD.  However, if you didn't like the beta for some reason then you wont like the full game, as it is more of the same.  Hopefully see some of ya on the battlefields!

THANK YOU! I agree 100% with you.

Although my problem comes from their Nintendo reviews. 1 good point I think you raise though is that they review the 360 versions of high ranking multi platform games, this is true but what I find worse is that if its a average multi platform game you can bet it'll be the PS3 version reviewed, e.g. Resident Evil 5. This might not sound like a big issue but it drastically effects the gamerankings average, that 7/10 for the Resident Evil 5 only drags down the PS3 average not the 360 version.

Edge reviews that I cant understand this gen:

Bayonetta 360 10/10 - this is a great game from what I've played but its no way an edge 10.

Gears of War 2 360 9/10 - not that I don't think that this game deserves a 9 but edge gave the original a 8. The old Edge wouldn't have given a game that doesn't drastically improve on the original a higher mark.

Halo 3 360 10/10 - again this is a great game, edge gave the original a 10 and rightly so, but did 3 do much more? If your thinking online then 2 really stared that with a bang and they only gave that a 9. I think this is a perfect example of edge over rating a 360 game.

Metroid Prime Trilogy wii 8/10 - If The Orange Box got a perfect 10 for 'value' then where's the consistency for this amazing triple pack?

New Super Mario Bros Wii 7/10 - 7? for possibly the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World, I know we live in the 3D HD era but come on, this game deserves at least an 8

Metroid Prime 3 7/10 - They said in their rev.iew that the controls were amazing and much better than the GC controls yet only a 7.

Wii Sports Resort 6/10 - now this was a vast improvement on wii sports yet they gave it less? If gears 2 was better than 1 then this was definitely better than wii sports, again where's the consistency.

Edge used to almost always give the lowest mark by any reviewer to any game hence them becoming infamous for being harsh, but in a good way. If edge gave a game 8 you could bet it was amazing and probably a 9 by most other reviewers standards and if they gave out a 10 you knew to by it without a second thought. NOT ANYMORE.....

Now their reviews are just like anyone else's, the best example is Bayonetta. At the moment it has a very respectable 89.84% for the 360 on gamerankings yet edge gave it 10, that's so mad, edge were never off the mark like that years ago. Another example of them being off the mark is NSMBwii, gamerankings 88.50% edge score 7. In fact if you go through most critically acclaimed wii games you'll find that it seems to be edge with the lowest score more often than not and the ones where they aren't they seem to purposely over rate crap e.g. Lets Tap 8/10.

Edge used to be different in a respected effortless way, now they seem to be different for the sake of it.

Its even lost Biffo - edge sucks!

Edge has certainly taken a pro-technology perspective.
But that is their choice -- just as it is for many of us not to purchase the magazine.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

If you start applying rules to reviewers telling them they have to score more or less based on previous scores they gave games then it will become a joke. Retroking1981, your idea of conforming to previous reviews is terrible and would only serve to make review scores even more of a joke than they are now.

come on they gave prime 3 a 7 NO ******* WAY!