By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SEGA offers Shenmue exclusivity in exchange for project funding!

ms is taking this

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
360 is most likely because they are most likely to put out the money. Wii would make the most sense though given the Japanese audience and the need to cut back on development costs. I don't care if they make it for DS, i just want Shenmue 3. People care far too much about what platforms games go to and far too little about the game itself.

So you wouldn't care a sand box open world game being gimped for the DS just so you can play Shenmue 3, despite it being nothing like the first 2? I get what you're saying though, i'd rather it just come out for Xbox/Ps3 then have to be exclusive.

Microsoft is most likely, only by process of elimination. I don't see them jumping at this, just that Sony's pretty much already getting something very much like this, from Sega, as exclusives, and Nintendo isn't going to touch a project like this (overly expensive niche mature game) with a 10 foot pole, they only moneyhat titles that would really help the platform (like Monster Hunter Tri, Tales of Graces, Samurai Warrior 3, etc.)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

i just dont think MS's xbox 360 will do justice for shemue 3. i think with the ps3's blu-ray yu suzuki and sega can truly make the best final epic shemue game. they can also fit in all 3 shenmue games in 1 blu-ray and make the best trilogy bundle ever and finally give shenmue the respect it deserves

Microsoft seems like the only ones that would do this.
They got the cash, and could use another IP.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Well MS paid for Shenmue 2. So that's potential for them to go for this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would buy the game regardless of platform, but most likely would be MS. Sony already has Sega's Yakuza on PS3, MS doesn't have it, is looking to boost japan sales, and Shenmue II was on Xbox, so there is a connection there.

I say Microsoft is likely to at least look at this "open offer" seriously.

SaviorX said:
Microsoft seems like the only ones that would do this.
They got the cash, and could use another IP.

which they never recoperated back. also imagine all the 360 owners who would just pirate shemue 3 for the 360? it be the dreamcast days all over again.  considering shemue 2 was pretty much a shit port (bad voice acting, bugs, etc.) i like many others got the dc pal version of shenmue 2 (reason why the xbox version also sold poorly)

Shame on Sega, they are borderline prostituting themselves to get the game done.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Masakari said:
I would buy the game regardless of platform, but most likely would be MS. Sony already has Sega's Yakuza on PS3, MS doesn't have it, is looking to boost japan sales, and Shenmue II was on Xbox, so there is a connection there.

I say Microsoft is likely to at least look at this "open offer" seriously.

people need to stop bringing up shenmue 2 being on the xbox as a reason for them to get shenmue 3. first of all the port of shemue 2 on the xbox was horrible any true dc or shemue fan got the pal version (like myself). second if it wasnt for MS paying to have shemue exclusively for North America us DC owners would of been playing a better version of shemue 2 on the DC and not only that wouldnt of had to import which sega made no profits off of.

in my opinion MS paying for exclusive rights to shemue 2 is what hurt it sales. people importing the japanese/pal DC versions because no North American version was release causing sega no profits (publishers/developers make no money off imports). people pirating copies of shenmue 2 cause of no North American release. people not buying shenmue 2 for the xbox because of the shit port and since xbox didnt have much of a fanbase or install-base