By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SEGA offers Shenmue exclusivity in exchange for project funding!

I can see MS buying; but im hoping nintendo to snagg this; they need to strengthen up their line-up. The wii and DS has been printing money every half second. Its a good buisness move imo

Around the Network

Sony probably wouldn't do this, but I could see both MS and Nintendo jumping on board, although not at a high percentage. It's doubtful another Shenmue game would be as expensive as the others are notorious for, but the main problem would of course be reviving the series and name. That would be the most risky part.

The reason I mention MS and Nintendo, is because they have been doing this all generation. MS is of course notorious for forking out money for exclusivity and of course helping to fund and develop projects. Nintendo has also been doing similar things, although not to the same monetary extent, but striking up deals and partnerships with 3rd parties. The most notable about that, of course, has been Sega themselves for the Mario and Sonic games which have been commercial hits.

But for the most part, I don't think the hype or potential for a big commercial success is there for another Shenmue game and anyone who picks it up will probably not hit the sales potential they are looking for. But we'll see what happens.

They should put Shenmune 1 and 2 on the psn and xbl to kind of get a feeler of the demand for the games! If they sell well enough maybe Microsoft or Sony will help fund the game! I've never played either game but would love to try them out if they came to the psn!!

arsenicazure said:
Most likely it would be MS. The wii is underpowered to do this game justice. SONY have enough titles coming out of their first party studios and yakuza already...

I was thinking that it would be Nintendo, the HD consolesare lacking in motion control offerering to do this game justice.

That would be a key Wii title for 2011.

Please Nintendo!

360 PLZ

Around the Network

I think MS would buy it, Sony nor Nintendo dont buy stuff.

PS3- if the developers can convince that this will be a worthy title b/c PS3 needs japanese themed games more, and is basically the only console that buys IP titles. The developers are basically baiting sony to pony up here because of this, but will the game be worthy?

For the sake of sales, I think Sony should buy it. Shemnue will sell best in Japan (e.g. Yakuza titles) and they have a decent user base there.

However, I think MS will buy convince Japan to buy it as part of the "win japan over" process.

Ihope Nintendo don't buy it since I dont think Nintendo's hardware can do Shenmue justice. Shenmue was one of the most visually impressive games I had ever played last gen.It was so far ahead of its time, even 4-5 years after it had been released I hadnt seen another title like it. IMO it could only be done right on one of the HD consoles.

If it is down to nothing else but money, MS will get it. If it is to do with sales and money to a lesser extent, then I think Sony will get it.

Ideally, I would like Sony to get it and have Quantic Dreams help Sega with the production of it. I can see things in Heavy Rain that are reminiscent of Shenmue :)

@fei-hung - MS's win Japan over strategy is long over and done with, they are spending $$$$$ on natal these days...

most likely coming to the ps3. in case you guys forgot sony and sega are currently in the talks for bringing sega dreamcast games exclusively on the ps3. shenmue if market right will sell well both in europe and japan (which is where majority of the shemue fanbase are from) with so-so sales in the U.S. sony can also do a better bundle of shemue than the 360. shenmue 1 and 2 on blu-ray a few months/year from a shemue 3 release?

and even though yu suzuki left im sure 100% he will have an influence on shemue 3 and we all know he's all about innovation and will surely choose the ps3 knowing what he can do with shemue 3 with the space of blu-ray (content, graphics, audio, video, etc.) and no limitations.