By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marvelous execs take pay cuts instead of layoffs of the lower orders

theprof00 said:
jarrod said:
theprof00 said:
jarrod said:
theprof00 said:

Cmon MARVELOUS...now is the time. MURAMASA and littleKingsStory on PSN/XBL!!!

Sony, do something!!

Repackaging $50 retail games as $15 downloadables won't help, and might not even profit per project honestly.  What they need(ed) to do is PSP ports of stuff like Rune Factory Frontier, Muramasa and Little King's Story, but it may be too late now... their recent DS/PSP releases are mostly flopping too.

Next bomb: No More Heroes HD.

Ok, then whatabout 20$?

Muramasa is really popular though. I think that could make quite a bit.

Muramasa seems to be doing well in the west on Wii already though.  Why sacrifice $20 per copy now?  Maybe in a year or two...

I think RIGHT NOW, Japan targeted PSP ports make the most sense.  Or really, more new games that people actually want instead of ports...

I think they could get full price outta PS owners though. That's how popular the game is. I know several people who would buy a wii just for the game, but probably won't because they don't have money and hate the wii in every other aspect.

No way, a $40-50 downloadable would tank regardless of platform.   PSP makes the most sense if they want to port Muramasa now, then do XBLA/PSN in another 1-2 years.  

I think future HD ports (digital or retail) are going to really depend on how NMH does...

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:

Muramasa seems to be doing well in the west on Wii already though.  Why sacrifice $20 per copy now?  Maybe in a year or two...

I think RIGHT NOW, Japan targeted PSP ports make the most sense.  Or really, more new games that people actually want instead of ports...

They do seem to be having a tough time figuring out what people want, though. And targeting Japan is just generally a bad strategy these days unless you can expand the market á la Nintendo.

Well, they've run their cash cow (Harvest Moon) into the ground, and now even their secondary breadwinners (Luminous Arc, Rune Factory, Hitman Reborn, etc) are faltering.  I think Marvelous is in serious trouble...

jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:

They do seem to be having a tough time figuring out what people want, though. And targeting Japan is just generally a bad strategy these days unless you can expand the market á la Nintendo.

Well, they've run their cash cow (Harvest Moon) into the ground, and now even their secondary breadwinners (Luminous Arc, Rune Factory, Hitman Reborn, etc) are faltering.  I think Marvelous is in serious trouble...

Funny how Harvest Moon is doing so badly and yet Farmville, a complete rip off, is the most played video-game of all time.

Demotruk said:
V-r0cK said:
My applause and hats off to Marvelous CEO. A true selfless individual.

It makes sense in the long run. He'll be down 70% of his salary for some time but if he didn't the company may go under, and then he's looking for another job..

There's always a risk in business and he did what he believed was for the good for everybody.  A real boss looks after their employees and thats what he's doing.  If the company goes down in the long/short run at least he tried his best as you can see by his action so eventually he'll have to look for another job regardless if it did go down.  By cutting his salary its a chance to at least expand the company's lifespan and im sure he would want to work there for as long as he can if he really loves his job.  I'd do the same if i were in his shoes.  And who knows maybe he's really close with everybody that works there?

Avarice28 said:

That would be "killer" but wasn't that demon blade game already on ps2? 
theprof00 said:

Cmon MARVELOUS...now is the time. MURAMASA and littleKingsStory on PSN/XBL!!!

Sony, do something!!

no... that's Odin's Sphere and Muramasa is selling on par with it, OS had 300k sold and Muramasa is nearing 200k sold.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
trashleg said:
any chance we can show this to the UK Bank execs? no? how about the politicians?

Marvelous deserves a bailout!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Are we serious. A company is more concerned about product and running a company rather than the execs being concerned about their wallets. gosh. I have respect for this company.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Demotruk said:
Huh, going by a vgchartz search, No More Heroes was Marvelous Interactive's second best selling title ever? Is that true?

Jeez, it'll be hard going for them if the sequel flops. Looking at that list though, most of their success has been on DS and Wii. Maybe not in the last year or so, but certainly lifetime.

And guess which systems they're blaming for their downturn in sales....

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Yeah, it's a more distinctly Japanese thing, part of how they've managed to skirt the massive labor disputes that have wracked Western developed countries, though it's mostly a mindset thing, you can see it play out like this. The company is one whole organism to them, in that from the lowest ranks to the highest, they're all dedicated to doing what's best for the company at large, so you (usually) don't get crippling greed from either labor or management, and so you end up with situations like this, instead of, say, Midway, where the executives let the company collapse while they walked off with millions, or GM, where both sides were just trying to bleed the system of money.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

That's how it should be.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)