By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marvelous execs take pay cuts instead of layoffs of the lower orders

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

No, you're right, they're all avg around 300,000 each in sales.  Yet my point still stands.  Why do these games, such as the recent Castlevania and Mega Man games, classify as some of the best in their genre or 'core' titles, while a game like Muramasa is considered 'niche' by some?  Especially when Muramasa is only 100,000 units away from them in sales and also considered one of the better games on the Wii by 'core' fans.

I guess what I'm trying to lock down is, I don't think one game should be labeled as 'niche' just because it doesn't conform to the standards of what's the best selling game out there or what some people precieve as 'popular'.  As I already gave examples, stuff like Katamari Damacy and Disgaea are hardcore Japanese and hardly anyone would consider it a 'core' title by the standards of today.  Yet since it came out last gen, when the PS2 was king, those games were considered 'core' and hot stuff.  And may I venture to say Odin Sphere got the same treatment for being on the PS2.  So now I just find it rather hypocritical that now Muramasa, Odin Spheres spiritual successor, is getting labeled as 'niche', possibly because of the system its on and because the style/genre it uses.

I don't see why a game can't be both niche and core. Muramasa is both. It appeals to a small niche but it is also a 'core' game (if by 'core', we mean a game that is catered to 'traditional gamers' aka largely males. lol) The same is true of Odin's Sphere and Disgaea.

At the end of the day that's what the whole 'core' thing is code for: a game that appeals predominately towards male gamers. Just about every game that gets labelled 'casual' is a game that appeals to women or to both genders.