By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

Yes 39 20.53%

Partially 33 17.37%

No 118 62.11%

Total:190

Maybe. More consoles does equal more sales, but multiple equally dominant consoles equals higher developer costs and increases complexity of the market in ways that drive game price rises though, so it's not that simple. On the other hand without competition normal market forces can't operate as well.

Okay, I've got it, all money-hatting and timed exclusives are forbidden plus any other stuff that harms any end consumer and they have to fight just based on their consoles specs and the games developed for them which can be either full exclusive only or multi from the start, no funny business with stuff turning up late and annoying consumers.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

yeah good idea they should just both stop making consoles and let Nintendo have a monopoly.

Chairman-Mao said:
yeah good idea they should just both stop making consoles and let Nintendo have a monopoly.

Did you read my original post or are you responding to the title alone?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

jarrod said:
Xoj said:
sony isn't aiming at microsoft only. they combating nintedo with games.

modnations racers it's clearly trying to rival m. kart wii with a higher quality and bigger budget game.

considering the first party machine sony have turned into, they have managed to do it quite well as far a quality concerned, but their games generally always around 2-4 millions.
but they have many, more than nintendo and microsoft.
i think sony problem it's they don't know how to market or hype their games, they mainly pick the attetion of people who look well into their games, but never expand much from there, after they are done with the game, they change for the next one,

infamous wasn't released and they went for uncharted 2, totaly neglecting infamous.

Despite having a larger internal studio network than Nintendo, Sony still somehow develops fewer games overall iirc.  Probably due to system spec (DS/Wii vs PSP/PS3).

Also, I'd say it's pretty debatable if Modnation's actually even bigger budget than Mario Kart, much less your "quality" assessment.  UFC seems to be a tiny studio and the game seems pretty low budget for an HD game (it even started life as a PSN project iirc), where as Mario Kart pioneered a lot of EAD's online network infrastructure and it had a full EAD team (EAD1) working on it for two years (and some even longer with additional online races and challenges for 2 years running).

Couldn't the number of games dveloped issue stem from the kind of gmaes being made? Tough for Sony to win a quantity fight when Nintendo makes games like the Wii series and the New Play Control line, as opposed to games like Uncharted and Killzone that just need more time.

what r they gna fight for then? each want more consoles sold than the other = fight for marketshare, without that drive no innovation buddy

Around the Network

Why would we want them to stop the marketshare race? As a gamer, you can only profit from that.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

thx1139 said:
jarrod said:

Even still, I doubt it's as big budget as Mario Kart Wii was.  That game had a huge staff, a long cycle, a ton of network support and probably the biggest budget for an SD racer this side GT3/4.  

People tend to forget exactly how much investment Nintendo pumps into it's games.  They actually spend more on R&D than SCE overall even, despite being "smaller".

Where do people get this stuff. MKWii is a big budget title? They mostly reused the GCN Mario Kart game and added online play from last gen at best.

You can't be serious.  Please tell me you are joking.

If not, I'm just going to assume you never played either game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

kunaixhaku said:
what r they gna fight for then? each want more consoles sold than the other = fight for marketshare, without that drive no innovation buddy

They can make profit, focus on software and becoming a competitor for the Wii, like I said in the OP.

When I say they should give up the fight for marketshare, I mean the expensive and unprofitable tactics they use to get as many consoles out there as possible, such as aggressive price cuts when they're selling hardware at a loss, and money-hatting for exclusives. Obviously I don't mean they should stop competing, cede the market or anything like that. The justification for the aggressive fight for marketshare is no longer there, it's clear that from this point on both consoles will be well supported, neither has the possibility of a PS2-like surge in developer support, and neither is going to be dropped like the Gamecube.

And naturally, I am talking about their interests, not mine. If I was to talk about my interests I'd say they should make the games I like and sell them to me for 50c, but there's no point in talking about things like that since it's their interests they would be motivated by.

if there was no market share fight nothing would ever happen (no pricedrops, no exclusives) why would you want that unless you want both consoles to fail?

You also contradict yourself by saying that they should start trying to be competition for the wii as surely doing this is another market share fight just against two companies instead of one????

My current Soul Silver Team:

Pingu said:
if there was no market share fight nothing would ever happen (no pricedrops, no exclusives) why would you want that unless you want both consoles to fail?

You also contradict yourself by saying that they should start trying to be competition for the wii as surely doing this is another market share fight just against two companies instead of one????

I mean the fight for market share with eachother. The crossover with Wii is not so great at the moment, in order to fight for market share with Nintendo they need to enter that market. The point is that both continuing to fight is lose-lose for both companies. It's a very costly way to compete and for no prize. I don't think focussing on software would cause them to fail, but I do think that the longer they keep up a costly battle over no prize, the less happy their investors will be about continuing to stay in the console market.