By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

Yes 39 20.53%

Partially 33 17.37%

No 118 62.11%

Total:190
gamings_best said:
BrandonM said:
Wii has long won the war.....now seeing HD consoles going at each other is like watching Friday Night Sissy Fights^___^

lol more like pro fights, the sissy is the one watching

hahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! ROFL, best comeback EVER

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

i think partially, btw wouldn't it be incredible if they joined forces? that would be the ultimate in gaming

no idea how to make this properly work

I think Microsoft's already decided to sacrifice marketshare for profitability. That's why they've kept the barrier of entry price at $200 for two years running. They've also seemingly stopped buying up exclusives.

I'd also say profitability is something that PS3 probably won't ever actually achieve. They made a dramatic play for marketshare this year, and it's mostly worked.

sony isn't aiming at microsoft only. they combating nintedo with games.

modnations racers it's clearly trying to rival m. kart wii with a higher quality and bigger budget game.

considering the first party machine sony have turned into, they have managed to do it quite well as far a quality concerned, but their games generally always around 2-4 millions.
but they have many, more than nintendo and microsoft.
i think sony problem it's they don't know how to market or hype their games, they mainly pick the attetion of people who look well into their games, but never expand much from there, after they are done with the game, they change for the next one,

infamous wasn't released and they went for uncharted 2, totaly neglecting infamous.

Xoj said:

modnations racers it's clearly trying to rival m. kart wii with a higher quality and bigger budget game.

considering the first party machine sony have turned into, they have managed to do it quite well as far a quality concerned, but their games generally always around 2-4 millions.
i think sony problem it's they don't know how to market or hype their games, they mainly pick the attetion of people who look well into their games, but never expand much from there, after they are done with the game, they change for the next one,

infamous wasn't released and they went for uncharted 2, totaly neglecting infamous.

Despite having a larger internal studio network than Nintendo, Sony still somehow develops fewer games overall iirc.  Probably due to system spec (DS/Wii vs PSP/PS3).

Also, I'd say it's pretty debatable if Modnation's actually even bigger budget than Mario Kart, much less your "quality" assessment.  UFC seems to be a tiny studio and the game seems pretty low budget for an HD game (it even started life as a PSN project iirc), where as Mario Kart pioneered a lot of EAD's online network infrastructure and it had a full EAD team (EAD1) working on it for two years (and some even longer with additional online races and challenges for 2 years running).

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

Despite having a larger internal studio network than Nintendo, Sony still somehow develops fewer games overall iirc.  Probably due to system spec (DS/Wii vs PSP/PS3).

Also, I'd say it's pretty debatable if Modnation's actually even bigger budget than Mario Kart, much less your "quality" assessment.  UFC seems to be a tiny studio and the game seems pretty low budget for an HD game (it even started life as a PSN project iirc), where as Mario Kart pioneered a lot of EAD's online network infrastructure and it had a full EAD team (EAD1) working on it for two years (and some even longer with additional online races and challenges for 2 years running).

so was media molecule littlebigplanet, but under sony arms, both studio, got army of help of sony studios, naughty dog, insomniac etc.

in the end the game ended like huge game, being one of the highest by reviews. :p

sony it's know to throw the house for a party as far budget , though modnatios racers may not look like big game it looks it found it was in to be one.

You are aware that if corporations didn't fight for market share, we'd have crap quality systems, right?

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

so was media molecule littlebigplanet, but under sony arms, both studio, got army of help of sony studios, naughty dog, insomniac etc.

in the end the game ended like huge game, being one of the highest by reviews. :p

sony it's know to throw the house for a party as far budget , though modnatios racers may not look like big game it looks it found it was in to be one.

Even still, I doubt it's as big budget as Mario Kart Wii was.  That game had a huge staff, a long cycle, a ton of network support and probably the biggest budget for an SD racer this side GT3/4.  

People tend to forget exactly how much investment Nintendo pumps into it's games.  They actually spend more on R&D than SCE overall even, despite being "smaller".

MS may be third as of late but it's absolutely useless for them to fight for marketshare right now. Their focus should be to recoup as much as they can from the Xbox brand investments (and to make up for their financial errors ie. RRoD and e74, unprofitable software, moneyhatted exclusives that lost them money, etc.) The third-party publishers are firmly behind both companies. Just look down the PS3 exclusive list. What do you see? First-party Sony games, Japanese games (because PS fanboys whined about FF13 going multi-plat so S-E gotta give them Versus. And a number of Japanese devs favor the PS3 or don`t have faith in the 360 at all. Not much MS can do about that. 360 is weak in Japan so their best bet is to partner with independent Japanese deveoplers and secure new Japanese IPs for the Microsoft Game Studios label and build on the Japanese IPs they already own) and a couple Rockstar games that were planned as PS3 exclusives since near the beginning of the gen (because Rockstar wants to see what they can do with a open-world sandbox using Blu-Ray storage capacity. It has nothing to do with market share at all. Rockstar was always tight with Sony and they want to experiment with the console. Just like how Sega, EA, Ubisoft, etc. likes to experiment with Wii exclusives.)

Ditto for Sony too (re: marketshare), they are fine now, they just gotta work towards making some money now.

I think MS and Sony are more concerned about Nintendo. Hence NATAL and Arc. But they have an uphill battle on their hands at this point.

jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

Even still, I doubt it's as big budget as Mario Kart Wii was.  That game had a huge staff, a long cycle, a ton of network support and probably the biggest budget for an SD racer this side GT3/4.  

People tend to forget exactly how much investment Nintendo pumps into it's games.  They actually spend more on R&D than SCE overall even, despite being "smaller".

Where do people get this stuff. MKWii is a big budget title? They mostly reused the GCN Mario Kart game and added online play from last gen at best.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.