By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

MS and Sony should give up the fight for marketshare. Agree?

Yes 39 20.53%

Partially 33 17.37%

No 118 62.11%

Total:190
Demotruk said:
kunaixhaku said:
what r they gna fight for then? each want more consoles sold than the other = fight for marketshare, without that drive no innovation buddy

They can make profit, focus on software and becoming a competitor for the Wii, like I said in the OP.

When I say they should give up the fight for marketshare, I mean the expensive and unprofitable tactics they use to get as many consoles out there as possible, such as aggressive price cuts when they're selling hardware at a loss, and money-hatting for exclusives. Obviously I don't mean they should stop competing, cede the market or anything like that. The justification for the aggressive fight for marketshare is no longer there, it's clear that from this point on both consoles will be well supported, neither has the possibility of a PS2-like surge in developer support, and neither is going to be dropped like the Gamecube.

And naturally, I am talking about their interests, not mine. If I was to talk about my interests I'd say they should make the games I like and sell them to me for 50c, but there's no point in talking about things like that since it's their interests they would be motivated by.

"obviously i don't mean they should stop competing" ..... if they r not competing for market share what r they competing for? if they were competing for profits the consoles would still cost $500 and $600 ...... and thus wii would sell much much more... they r competing with each other plus the wii. if you noticed ps3 dropped to $299.99 and then wii dropped to $199.99. They would compete with the wii more aggressivle for exclusives if their exclusives made sense on their system. With the ps arc and natal ur gna see them competing for motion controlled games bein exclusive to their systems soon. if ms and sony give up fighting for marketshare there will be no exclusives for each console taking advantages of each consoles strengths and there wudn't be no innovation on psn or xbox live. Unless they become partners selling the same system. They are always gna wanna sell more than each other. "focus on software" that is what they r doing... trying to get better and exclusive games for their systems so ppl will buy more of their system than the others....

Around the Network

They had a reason to fight for marketshare in the past, the whole point of the razors and blades model is to gain enough marketshare to a) be relevant enough to achieve substantial developer support and b) to get such a lead that developers flock to their system. a) is already achieved and neither are not going to lose it by being less aggressive now, b) is no longer reasonably possible by competing mainly with each other.

They would both still have exclusives, mostly first party ones.

People have to remember that marketshare is not an end in itself. It is a means to the end that is profit. At this point though, fighting for market-share amongst eachother is working against the goal of profit. Competing less aggressively achieves the end goal better than competing aggressively.

As for competing with Wii, Nintendo more likely cut because it's sales were in decline, not because of anything to do with the PS3. Either way, it hasn't helped them achieve more profit, has it? Nintendo's lower weekly marketshare has much more to do with their own decline due to their own software drought than anything that's happened with the HD consoles. Nor do they need to compete over third party support with the Wii, it's clear the Wii isn't getting the same support anyway. Only one major game in the whole generation has jumped from PS3 to Wii.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

thx1139 said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
sony isn't aiming at microsoft only. they combating nintedo with games.

modnations racers it's clearly trying to rival m. kart wii with a higher quality and bigger budget game.

considering the first party machine sony have turned into, they have managed to do it quite well as far a quality concerned, but their games generally always around 2-4 millions.
but they have many, more than nintendo and microsoft.
i think sony problem it's they don't know how to market or hype their games, they mainly pick the attetion of people who look well into their games, but never expand much from there, after they are done with the game, they change for the next one,

infamous wasn't released and they went for uncharted 2, totaly neglecting infamous.

Despite having a larger internal studio network than Nintendo, Sony still somehow develops fewer games overall iirc.  Probably due to system spec (DS/Wii vs PSP/PS3).

Also, I'd say it's pretty debatable if Modnation's actually even bigger budget than Mario Kart, much less your "quality" assessment.  UFC seems to be a tiny studio and the game seems pretty low budget for an HD game (it even started life as a PSN project iirc), where as Mario Kart pioneered a lot of EAD's online network infrastructure and it had a full EAD team (EAD1) working on it for two years (and some even longer with additional online races and challenges for 2 years running).

so was media molecule littlebigplanet, but under sony arms, both studio, got army of help of sony studios, naughty dog, insomniac etc.

in the end the game ended like huge game, being one of the highest by reviews. :p

sony it's know to throw the house for a party as far budget , though modnatios racers may not look like big game it looks it found it was in to be one.

Even still, I doubt it's as big budget as Mario Kart Wii was.  That game had a huge staff, a long cycle, a ton of network support and probably the biggest budget for an SD racer this side GT3/4.  

People tend to forget exactly how much investment Nintendo pumps into it's games.  They actually spend more on R&D than SCE overall even, despite being "smaller".

Where do people get this stuff. MKWii is a big budget title? They mostly reused the GCN Mario Kart game and added online play from last gen at best.

Where are you getting this?  The game even uses a (bloom heavy) new engine and models.  It's been redone ground up, like Mario Galaxy was.

NYANKS said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
sony isn't aiming at microsoft only. they combating nintedo with games.

modnations racers it's clearly trying to rival m. kart wii with a higher quality and bigger budget game.

considering the first party machine sony have turned into, they have managed to do it quite well as far a quality concerned, but their games generally always around 2-4 millions.
but they have many, more than nintendo and microsoft.
i think sony problem it's they don't know how to market or hype their games, they mainly pick the attetion of people who look well into their games, but never expand much from there, after they are done with the game, they change for the next one,

infamous wasn't released and they went for uncharted 2, totaly neglecting infamous.

Despite having a larger internal studio network than Nintendo, Sony still somehow develops fewer games overall iirc.  Probably due to system spec (DS/Wii vs PSP/PS3).

Also, I'd say it's pretty debatable if Modnation's actually even bigger budget than Mario Kart, much less your "quality" assessment.  UFC seems to be a tiny studio and the game seems pretty low budget for an HD game (it even started life as a PSN project iirc), where as Mario Kart pioneered a lot of EAD's online network infrastructure and it had a full EAD team (EAD1) working on it for two years (and some even longer with additional online races and challenges for 2 years running).

Couldn't the number of games dveloped issue stem from the kind of gmaes being made? Tough for Sony to win a quantity fight when Nintendo makes games like the Wii series and the New Play Control line, as opposed to games like Uncharted and Killzone that just need more time.

Right, because God of War Collection and various PSP ports (Parappa, Ape Escape, Popolocrois, etc) just needed more time. ;)

BladeOfGod said:
gamings_best said:
BrandonM said:
Wii has long won the war.....now seeing HD consoles going at each other is like watching Friday Night Sissy Fights^___^

lol more like pro fights, the sissy is the one watching

hahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! ROFL, best comeback EVER

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might have been...... if the whole thread and BrandomM's post weren't referring to sales and marketshare. 

Around the Network

^his comeback was so epic and so perfect. the guy wanted to be a hotshot and diss on HD consoles but than gamings beast came and made a comeback so perfect and so awesome it made me LMAO

Fight for the marketshare is what gave you a $299 PS3 and 360, why do you not like that?

BladeOfGod said:
^his comeback was so epic and so perfect. the guy wanted to be a hotshot and diss on HD consoles but than gamings beast came and made a comeback so perfect and so awesome it made me LMAO

You're an odd guy.

So, how's your great FFXIII vs NSMB prediction going?

twesterm said:
Fight for the marketshare is what gave you a $299 PS3 and 360, why do you not like that?

Yeah, I'd love if Nintendo started subsidizing my games too but there's little point about discussing what they should do based on my interests, my interests don't motivate them.

Demotruk said:
twesterm said:

Yeah, I'd love if Nintendo started subsidizing my games too but there's little point about discussing what they should do based on my interests, my interests don't motivate them.

Why are you talking about Nintendo in a topic you made about MS and Sony?