By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: 2010 Best Year For 360, No Need For Blu-Ray

Might be but I would wait and see...

Especially with God of War 3 shaping up to be GoTY...and Mass Effect 2 even more. And they have no need for blu ray..They are making a lot of profit already, and that's what matters.

Around the Network

360 has a nice lineup but blu Ray is a really amazing feature
to have if you have a good tv for it.

I am not to excited for halo reach I think because odst and 3 where let downs
for me. I like mass effect 2, splinter cell, Alan wake.

I don't think reach will get goty either I will be surprised if gow3 doesn't on the multiplatform awards

DirtyP2002 said:
justinian said:
revovichfan12 said:
what is microsoft thinking. Everyone needs bluray to experience Avatar at home ;)...

But seriously. I bet the one thing that sony will have that microsoft won't have this coming holiday season is 3D bluray and there may be some games coming out that will capitalize on that. Sony has already said every ps3 will be 3d compatible.

Bluray can also fit more information on it which means they are cheaper to make. 1 bluray is cheaper than two dvds (mass effect 2 :P)

Good point. From this prospective size does matter. The more DVDs the bigger the production costs so that eats into profits.

I don't know exactly how the whole thing works but say, for example that FFXIII comes out on four DVDs.

My guess is that equates to 4x production costs for x360's FFXIII being sold at the same price as the PS3 version.

Is the game then sold at a higher price on the x360 to recuperate costs?

Doesn't really matter to MS, I suppose. They can afford losses.

But sure as hell matters to pubishers packaging the game.

Then again maybe all this was covered with SquareE when the deal was struck with MS.

With Forza (I think), FFXIII and ME2 that's three multi discs games on x360 in a short time - that I know of.

If the rate of multi disc games increase dramatically then it may be a problem but if MS don't seem to care about this neither should I.

Have you ever bought blank DVD? I, the stupid consumer at the very end of the profit-chain, can get a blank DVD for $0.19. Now imagine Mr. Microsoft going to a DVD manufacturer saying: "Hello, we need 8 million blank DVDs"... So MS probably pays less than $0.10 for a DVD, which is sold at retail for $59.99.

The costs for DVDs are soooo tiny. It won't matter for anyone.

Yes but you are not taking into account the licensing fees that Microsoft charges per DVD9 disc they are very high according to John Cormack when taking about rage needing 2 or more DVD9 discs.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

hikaruchan said:
DirtyP2002 said:
justinian said:
revovichfan12 said:
what is microsoft thinking. Everyone needs bluray to experience Avatar at home ;)...

But seriously. I bet the one thing that sony will have that microsoft won't have this coming holiday season is 3D bluray and there may be some games coming out that will capitalize on that. Sony has already said every ps3 will be 3d compatible.

Bluray can also fit more information on it which means they are cheaper to make. 1 bluray is cheaper than two dvds (mass effect 2 :P)

Good point. From this prospective size does matter. The more DVDs the bigger the production costs so that eats into profits.

I don't know exactly how the whole thing works but say, for example that FFXIII comes out on four DVDs.

My guess is that equates to 4x production costs for x360's FFXIII being sold at the same price as the PS3 version.

Is the game then sold at a higher price on the x360 to recuperate costs?

Doesn't really matter to MS, I suppose. They can afford losses.

But sure as hell matters to pubishers packaging the game.

Then again maybe all this was covered with SquareE when the deal was struck with MS.

With Forza (I think), FFXIII and ME2 that's three multi discs games on x360 in a short time - that I know of.

If the rate of multi disc games increase dramatically then it may be a problem but if MS don't seem to care about this neither should I.

Have you ever bought blank DVD? I, the stupid consumer at the very end of the profit-chain, can get a blank DVD for $0.19. Now imagine Mr. Microsoft going to a DVD manufacturer saying: "Hello, we need 8 million blank DVDs"... So MS probably pays less than $0.10 for a DVD, which is sold at retail for $59.99.

The costs for DVDs are soooo tiny. It won't matter for anyone.

Yes but you are not taking into account the licensing fees that Microsoft charges per DVD9 disc they are very high according to John Cormack when taking about rage needing 2 or more DVD9 discs.

I think you are not taking into account that this is not true.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1001

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

What does that mean exactly? Best year? It certainly doesn't look like it'll have the highest hardware sales and for the first time this gen the PS3 has as many, if not more, good exclusives inbound. Not to mention the fact that the Wii is still whooping everyone's ass...
I'd venture to say that this will be the hardest year for it yet with the fiercest competition.

Around the Network

If they don't need Blu Ray the same way they didn't need at all the Motion Control,. I expect a 360 Blu Ray drive at this E3.

The man said that adding Blu-Ray to the 360 would increase cost and isn't absolutely necessary. That's it.

Did he lie or attack Sony?

He also said that this will be the best year for the 360 as far as games go (with Halo Reach being the biggest 360 game). Plus, we don't know what E3 has in store. So, why are we fighting? It's like some of you guys would only be satisfied if the announcement was: "Sorry. We fucked up. Buy a PS3".

Now that there's no reason to argue, let's all get gay and naked with each other.

Figures... This has been their stance from the beginning. I think next gen is when we might see blu-ray. Probably not this gen

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Lurker said:
No need for blu-ray yet Mass Effect 2 makes you swap discs 3 times. Ok.

Having content on mutiple discs does not necessarily mean you NEED to put the content on a larger media format. I think Mass Effect if anything has shown that with some thought you can produce a high quality game on multiple discs and minimise the disc swap.

You could of course put no thought into disc swapping issues or compression routines but that does not mean you need something like Blu Ray.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
d21lewis said:
The man said that adding Blu-Ray to the 360 would increase cost and isn't absolutely necessary. That's it.

Did he lie or attack Sony?

He also said that this will be the best year for the 360 as far as games go (with Halo Reach being the biggest 360 game). Plus, we don't know what E3 has in store. So, why are we fighting? It's like some of you guys would only be satisfied if the announcement was: "Sorry. We fucked up. Buy a PS3".

Now that there's no reason to argue, let's all get gay and naked with each other.

LOL what?