By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 3. Can it sell 2 million?

As of Janary 23 2010. The game sold 1 million in Japan alone. Making it the 4th best selling monster hunter game.
With the game coming to the west. The game will have to do 500k each in Others and America. Which is possible. Nintendo
is marketing the game. The game looks like it has all the ingrdiants of a good selling wii game. Madworld and The conduit both faced
problems when they released. They were medicore or niche. Yet they both sold almost 400K. Monster Hunter fixes those problems.
Pros
Game has a high effort
The game doesn't look niche
Isn't too short
Online works great
Advertised
The first AAA effort 3rd party wii game

Cons
Hype died down after a long release of the game.
Pay for online.(has it been cofirmed that its free yet?)

I think it has a chance and I hope it does it too. I can list more pros. I don't know anymore cons. Post some if you know.
If you don't think it'll reach 2 million. Post your prediction.
This is etheir do or die time. This game will determine the wii's 3rd party support for Capcom and proberly some other 3rd parties 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

If advertised right, I think it'll do it.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

it's already over 1 million (1.1 million shipped) so yeah it's pretty much guaranteed with the advertising campaign they are running.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I believe it can. Eventually, it'll be a really slow climb though.

1.3ish in Japan, 400k in America, some 300k in Europe.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

The game will do between 1.1-1.2M in Japan alone LTD. I really think this game can reach 2 million since it was stated that it will be greatly marketed in Europe.

Around the Network

Easily.

My money is on No.

I don't see it reaching 1 million between the Europe and US.

Hey i'd love to be wrong, but the game is pretty niche outside of Japan.

It's like... Dragon Quest or something... but to a larger degree.

I'd be surprised if it sold 200K in the US, and the same would go for Europe.

I say "no".

Why? Because the core of the game doesn't resonate with Westerners, i.e. the theme of hunting down and killing animals for their vital parts. (The only people that want to play those games are actual hunters and there's tons of games where you can already do that.)

Yes, I realize they are "monsters", but a lot of them are fuzzy, cuddly, critters and I always felt a bit queasy walking up and smacking one that was just minding its own business, grazing on some delicious grass, with a sword that could be used to measure for 1st downs.

Note: I am *not* anti-hunter, but I just don't believe that all the marketing dollars in the world (or making online free) will make this theme more palatable to the average denizen of anywhere west of Shanghai.

I can easily see it reaching that

I could see it happen. Though we'll have to wait and see, MH has, so far, never been really popular in the West... And this is on a console, so... we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit that, especially with it being such a big-effort game and the fact that Nintendo themselves will handle the marketing.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046