By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one not enjoying Arkham Asylum?

Am I the only one not enjoying Arkham Asylum?

You're crazy! It was awesome! 82 52.56%

It was good. 31 19.87%

It was average. 33 21.15%

It was bad. 10 6.41%

Total:156
Kantor said:

The epic Batman combat involves mashing square. And sometimes pressing triangle, but that's optional.

The epic Batman stealth involves swinging between gargoyles and kicking people, then being shot and swinging between gargoyles again.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game, but these are the two complaints I always read from people who aren't playing it properly.

Regarding the combat,if you are just endlessly punching guys and throwing the odd, counter, you aren't getting the full experience and you're making fights take longer than they need to (while also not getting as high combos or experience).  The idea is that Batman can take down any individual goon he sees without much trouble (which is represented in the game by the button mashing) but the challenge comes from the rhythm by which he analyzes a large group of attackers.  Triple-punch to this guy, stun the guy with the knife, batarang the two fools running toward you with pipes, perform a reversal on the one about to take a swing at you, then turn around and do a finisher on the stunned knife dude.  It's very rewarding to do it all in a continuous combo, and you won't have much luck with button-mashing once you get around halfway through the game.

It's a similar deal with the stealth.  You say that all you do is kick a guy, get shot, and then retreat.  The glory of 'being' Batman is his ability to analyze a situation and sneak around without being seen.  Look at the environment around you, and the placement of the enemies.  If they're in a group find ways to scare them (like making noises or letting them see you for just an instant) and get them to separate.  The flying kick makes a lot of noise, so that's why you always get shot afterward.  Only do that when there are no other enemies around.  Make use of Batarangs, stun atacks, and the good old fashioned 'sneak up behind and choke em'.  It's intensely satisfying to enter a room with ten armed guards and dispatch them without having been seen.

Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, but you owe it to yourself to at least try playing it the way it was meant to be played.  

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I'm sorry Kantor, but you just suck at the game. LOL!! From the sounds of it, you can't utilize the free flow system properly, & your stealth sucks. As for the riddles, just find the maps for each area, it gives a general idea of where to find the riddles.

I was a little confused myself as to how the riddles were in fact not exactly riddles and more finding collectables, however as far as collectable hunting goes I find what Batman offered enjoyable.

Why? Because it showed you the general area. It wasn't just lucky finds, I had no probems finding any of them within maybe a minute or so of being in that area, however don't let the riddles hamper you on your first playthrough - you can do these at the end.

The patient interviews were very nice.

The gameplay itself, indeed does lack depth but you can't deny it's pretty fun and fluid. There are a lot of games which essentially play themselves in there combat fields, Darksiders, God of War... but if you get into the combat challenges they are pretty difficult, and I felt the combat style properly represented batmans own combat style from comics/films.

The gargoyle thing, did indeed feel a little scripted, and it was a little disappointing at first however there are plenty other objects to grapple as you go through the game. I think gargoyles shouldn't really have been used throughout, but whatever.

thekitchensink said:
Kantor said:

The epic Batman combat involves mashing square. And sometimes pressing triangle, but that's optional.

The epic Batman stealth involves swinging between gargoyles and kicking people, then being shot and swinging between gargoyles again.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game, but these are the two complaints I always read from people who aren't playing it properly.

Regarding the combat,if you are just endlessly punching guys and throwing the odd, counter, you aren't getting the full experience and you're making fights take longer than they need to (while also not getting as high combos or experience).  The idea is that Batman can take down any individual goon he sees without much trouble (which is represented in the game by the button mashing) but the challenge comes from the rhythm by which he analyzes a large group of attackers.  Triple-punch to this guy, stun the guy with the knife, batarang the two fools running toward you with pipes, perform a reversal on the one about to take a swing at you, then turn around and do a finisher on the stunned knife dude.  It's very rewarding to do it all in a continuous combo, and you won't have much luck with button-mashing once you get around halfway through the game.

It's a similar deal with the stealth.  You say that all you do is kick a guy, get shot, and then retreat.  The glory of 'being' Batman is his ability to analyze a situation and sneak around without being seen.  Look at the environment around you, and the placement of the enemies.  If they're in a group find ways to scare them (like making noises or letting them see you for just an instant) and get them to separate.  The flying kick makes a lot of noise, so that's why you always get shot afterward.  Only do that when there are no other enemies around.  Make use of Batarangs, stun atacks, and the good old fashioned 'sneak up behind and choke em'.  It's intensely satisfying to enter a room with ten armed guards and dispatch them without having been seen.

Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, but you owe it to yourself to at least try playing it the way it was meant to be played.  

This.  My favorite thing to do was lure them with the sonic batarang and then detonate it under a gargoyle.  I'd take one out and then grab another and hang him upside down.  Then I'd flee the area.  When the upside down goon's friends came to help, I'd throw a batarang and cut him down.  This would REALLY freak the bad guys out!  I'm also a huge fan of poping up from the ground, setting explosives, or yanking debris onto a villain (or yanking a villain --or three to their doom).

Kantor, play the game.  Do it for me!

darthdevidem01 said:
you see I played the demo, felt the same way & didn't buy the game.

My brother and I felt the same. Thank god he bought the game regardless.

It gets sooo much better. Even though the demo contains of parts from the beginning and from the middle of the game, it's IMO not a good reflection of the games quality.

Especially the combat gets much more diverse later on.

Around the Network

Arkham Asylum's level of enjoyment increases geometrically according to how creatively you're willing to approach a situation. Set some explosives, hang a guy, blow everyone up when they come ot investigate - it's an instant party

If you do continue playing the game, periodically go and check out what's going on in the "welcome center". Pay attention, too. Freaky, isn't it! Your mind ISN'T playing tricks on you. The game is!

The game gets WAY better as you get further, you get cooler weapons and the atmosphere gets creepier. Scarecrows Missions were ridiculously good.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

The only reason why people like it is because its the First decent batman game ever, you compare something decent to something shitty then you realize how much better the decent one is.

Yeah the game was bad. Okay NOT that bad but still bad ENOUGH considering
the amount of hype the media portrayed it to be. The boss battles were awful
when compared to other boss battles etc Bayonetta , God Of War.....
o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o.0.0
It didn't even deserve a 9 IHMO.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!