By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Piracy si so high (Mass Effect 2)

DaBuddahN said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

World of Goo had 90% piracy rate within the first few weeks. It is well known that piracy is extremely frontloaded while sales on the PC draw out forever. I mean hell, in thet first month I had 3 copies of WoG pirated, now over a year later, I have 2 copies on Steam and 1 on WiiWare.

As for DRM leading to piracy, check out what happened with SPORE. I mean looking at the SPORE "new users over last 24 hours," That is users who have a legal copy they can register to the Sporepedia, is at 1,243. I think total is around 3.5 mil. Meanwhile after those 1.7 mil piracy cases in 3 months, until EA patched out their shitty DRM more or less, hasn't increased nowhere near at the same rate.

That's not justification though. You try to give these reasons as to why piracy is so high and attempt to justify it, and then shrug your shoulders when an indy developer that trusted gamers to make the right decision on a budget game do not put any DRM in and still get slapped in the face and had to file for bankruptcy. If DRM is the reason why piracy is so high, then why did World of Goo get pirated so much? Why did you pirate it three times? Do you have yet another excuse for it? 

Let's be real here. Piracy is full of lame excuses trying to justify the whys, but in the end is merely a case of not being able to or simply not wanting to pay for a product. It's inherent worth is irrelevant, as is it's quality. It's a matter of availability. Piracy is widely available and PC games are marketed to the type of group that is knowledgeable enough and willing enough to pirate in the first place. That is why Nintendo doesn't need to do a damn thing to combat piracy and the PC developers do. 

The next time you ask yourself why your precious PC games have to be "dumbed down" for consoles and thus dumbed down for the PC, remember which consumers are still buying the games, and you'll notice that piracy is the cause of the radical shift away from PC only development for the formally biggest names in PC development. You are a huge contributor to your own dissatisfaction with PC gaming.  

Q...F....F....T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm sure Vlad will come up with another excuse soon.  

Onyxmeth has bring some good point IMO ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I only have one question to anyone who justifies Piracy:

"Where does your Money come from?"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Why piracy is so high?

Because of those pathetic little lamers who spend all their money on computer upgrades and then don't want to spend any money on games. Can't wait to see their whine when there won't be pc versions of these games. Sweet.

Oh, so ME2 is already up? Thanks for the information, guys!

Huh this discussion reminded me that in fact downloading through the net is not illegal in Poland.

Selling downloaded items for personal profit and allowing other people to download from you is but not downloading itself especially if you download something only once.

And i don't believe we have any kind of law as to what sentence to give should you be found guilty in any case. Maybe there was a fee to pay but i don't really know.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
dahuman said:
axumblade said:
Well, they could really just try to fuck over PC gamers by only releasing it on consoles. x.o

uh both the deluxe and normal versions are steam top sellers, that would make 0 sense.

Uh...

I'm sorry. Did you think I was being serious about that statement? If that solved Piracy then I'm sure that would be an option but there are going to be people who pirate the 360 version as well.  

no not really, I'm more worried that there will be people who don't get English humors reading that and then start posting things like that seriously.

Buy it and support Bioware pirates!

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

After issues with SecuRom after upgrading to Windows 7 (undeletable files , other shit) I will never be buying another game that comes with it ever again.

Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

World of Goo had 90% piracy rate within the first few weeks. It is well known that piracy is extremely frontloaded while sales on the PC draw out forever. I mean hell, in thet first month I had 3 copies of WoG pirated, now over a year later, I have 2 copies on Steam and 1 on WiiWare.

As for DRM leading to piracy, check out what happened with SPORE. I mean looking at the SPORE "new users over last 24 hours," That is users who have a legal copy they can register to the Sporepedia, is at 1,243. I think total is around 3.5 mil. Meanwhile after those 1.7 mil piracy cases in 3 months, until EA patched out their shitty DRM more or less, hasn't increased nowhere near at the same rate.

That's not justification though. You try to give these reasons as to why piracy is so high and attempt to justify it, and then shrug your shoulders when an indy developer that trusted gamers to make the right decision on a budget game do not put any DRM in and still get slapped in the face by them. If DRM is the reason why piracy is so high, then why did World of Goo get pirated so much? Why did you pirate it three times? Do you have yet another excuse for it? 

Let's be real here. Piracy is full of lame excuses trying to justify the whys, but in the end is merely a case of not being able to or simply not wanting to pay for a product. It's inherent worth is irrelevant, as is it's quality. It's a matter of availability. Piracy is widely available and PC games are marketed to the type of group that is knowledgeable enough and willing enough to pirate in the first place. That is why Nintendo doesn't need to do a damn thing to combat piracy and the PC developers do. 

The next time you ask yourself why your precious PC games have to be "dumbed down" for consoles and thus dumbed down for the PC, remember which consumers are still buying the games, and you'll notice that piracy is the cause of the radical shift away from PC only development for the formally biggest names in PC development. You are a huge contributor to your own dissatisfaction with PC gaming.  

Yes I pirated it, then I ended up with 3 legal copies. I guess you missed the part where Worlf of Goo is still probably selling, while it's not getting pirated. As I said, I contributed greatly to the piracy rate of it (3 times I guess isn't greatly but it's 3 tmes more than others), yet I also contributed greatly towards its sales. Their 90% statistic is only from the first month or two, as I have always pointed out, PC games sell for year and years. It got pirated so much because you are looking at the statistic of only the first few months, not the overall picture.

I agree with half of your assessment. It is made so people don't spend money, but not on every game. Good games, whichever way you look at it, DO sell and have lower piracy rates. Valve and Blizzard games never broke the top of the piracy top 5 most pirated games. Universe at War ans Sins of a Solar empire didn't either, Civilization 4 didn't as well. You will probably bring up Demigod at this point, and I will need to remind you that the  80% pirated copies that they had was in the first 2 weeks and keep in mind that the game was also leaked a bit early on torrent sites. I haven't seen Demigod on the top pirated lists either. All good games and none made it in the top 5. What did though? SPORE with its DRM, MW2 with its piss poor features, Street Fighter 4 (not that it's bad, it's just that it's a fighter on the PC, which wasn't mean for fighters at all), Assassin's Creed, etc. etc. You get my drift.

Also I will have to refer you to yet another statistic to prove to you that what you are saying is not true:

http://torrentfreak.com/pirates-are-the-music-industrys-most-valuable-customers-100122/

Now I'm not a sociology expert and all, but I'm under the impression that people who have the know-how to pirate, and the will to listen to modern music, also probably enjoy video games. Not all of them, but the video game players are a subset of the music listeners. Both music and video games are digital goods with the same exact types of problems when it comes to piracy (DRM and all), yet the people who pirate music contribute the most to the music industry. I'd bet anything the same is true for video game pirates. So no, it's not piracy's fault that the PC is going, it's the fact that people with a console will eat up any shit they release on them, while PC gamers won't put up with that (as shown by Modern Warfare 2).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I have a few things to say.

First of all. Mass Effect 2 does not use GFWL or any sort of DRM. The only thing Bioware is doing is preventing pirated copies from accessing the cerberus network.

"OMG PC gaming is dying coz of piracy!" I heard stuff like that back in 2005. If you think about it you can't rent PC games, you can't buy as many used PC games anymore. If you buy a game off Steam it's not like you can trade it in or give it away. It's yours forever.