By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Piracy si so high (Mass Effect 2)

mrjuju said:
I'm not sure i actually enjoyed the first Mass Effect, which is a really unpleasant feeling. Everything was well done, and i can't point to anything specific that i didn't like, but i can never really remember enjoying myself while i played it... I might wait for this to drop in price and...acquire a non-minefield-rigged copy after picking it up, everything in me wants to give it a chance lol

Same with me.  I couldn't get into it, and i couldn't really place my finger on why.

Around the Network

Well that unfortunate about ME2.

Though keep in mind game pirating while easy to people with the knowledge. There are masses of people who just don't know how. It seems silly to think that people don't know how, but my experience with helping in IT there is a much bigger proportion of no tech savvy people. I know it's dumb founding to any PC guy on these boards, but it's true. These no tech savvy people that are interested in the game will buy.

With the way the PC culture works. Game companies need to focus on encouraging sales by unique retail products or get games to appeal to purchasers. Check out Diablo 1 & 2. That's as hardcore as you can get. Get's pirated insanely, but still manages to make massive sales. My sister in law is one of those people. Loves Diablo because it's easy and fun to get into. I beat the game once and put it down. She gone thought it over 6 times per class and still plays Diablo 2.

Game like AC and ME appeal to such a small market of the PC community and that small market are also pretty savvy in the ways of computers.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

It is true that by adding anti-piracy measures to a game, you are increasing the value of the pirated copy over that of free.

Secondly, it is pointless to argue with pirates. It is stealing, but you can't prove that is morally wrong.

Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

I thought the World of Goo people spoke out about it saying they didn't think piracy was a big deal since their numbers showed that for every 250,000 acts of piracy you stop, your lucky to get 1 extra sale.

Or was that De Blob?

Whether or not such factors change when this stuff is added in is debatable.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

I thought the World of Goo people spoke out about it saying they didn't think piracy was a big deal since their numbers showed that for every 250,000 acts of piracy you stop, your lucky to get 1 extra sale.

Or was that De Blob?

This is the before link showcasing them not using DRM as an experiment because they trusted gamers to make the right decisions.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/10/world-of-goo-devs-on-drm-we-trust-you-dont-steal-from-us.ars

This is the 90% piracy aftermath.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90.ars 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

Or was that De Blob?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90.ars

Yeah, i'm talking about after that though.  It was either them or deblob.

@Kasz

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21123

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I know all about SecuROM, but what's this GFWL stuff?

It is an unneeded pain in the rear that I mod out as quickly as humanly possible.

It's doubly frustrating because it's being done by a publisher who has 1) abandoned the PC market, and 2) done everything in its power to attract PC devs to focus on consoles instead.

Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:
hahadumb said:
If by "better in every respect" you mean "exactly the same product minus a couple of copy protection schemes amounting to such a minor annoyance that anyone who uses them as an excuse to pirate software immediately comes across as not just cheap but intellectually bankrupt and void of a moral compass" then yes.

No i mean "anyone who knows anything about computers will realize that SecuROM is a serious breach and GFWL is a huge thorn in people's lives" then yeah, it is better in every way.

What does SecuRom do anyway?   I know i'd instal a pirated copy with Starforce protection over a legal copy anyday. (Though I'd buy the legal copy then download the pirated version.)

Starforce breaks CD drives.

Apparentl SecuROM breaks some CD/DVD Burners. I made a quick Im fellin' lucky link a little above your post with some problems with it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835