By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Piracy si so high (Mass Effect 2)

axumblade said:
Well, they could really just try to fuck over PC gamers by only releasing it on consoles. x.o

uh both the deluxe and normal versions are steam top sellers, that would make 0 sense.

Around the Network

I am not gonna blow up at people who are pirates, but I honestly do think that Bioware deserves to be paid for ME2. Especially since it is a sequel, and they have plenty of info out about the game... you know whether you want the game or not, I would think. Pay for the game, and DL the cracked version if something on the retail version bothers you, though I do not think there are many if any issues with the "lite" securom that is being packaged with the game.

Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

World of Goo had 90% piracy rate within the first few weeks. It is well known that piracy is extremely frontloaded while sales on the PC draw out forever. I mean hell, in thet first month I had 3 copies of WoG pirated, now over a year later, I have 2 copies on Steam and 1 on WiiWare.

As for DRM leading to piracy, check out what happened with SPORE. I mean looking at the SPORE "new users over last 24 hours," That is users who have a legal copy they can register to the Sporepedia, is at 1,243. I think total is around 3.5 mil. Meanwhile after those 1.7 mil piracy cases in 3 months, until EA patched out their shitty DRM more or less, hasn't increased nowhere near at the same rate.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Another piracy debate? Do we need one again?

CAn I MS with my shit? no money, just dump....fuck Xbots and 360

Around the Network

You left out the most important bullet.

FREE!!!!

vlad321 said:
Kasz216 said:
vlad321 said:
hahadumb said:
If by "better in every respect" you mean "exactly the same product minus a couple of copy protection schemes amounting to such a minor annoyance that anyone who uses them as an excuse to pirate software immediately comes across as not just cheap but intellectually bankrupt and void of a moral compass" then yes.

No i mean "anyone who knows anything about computers will realize that SecuROM is a serious breach and GFWL is a huge thorn in people's lives" then yeah, it is better in every way.

What does SecuRom do anyway?   I know i'd instal a pirated copy with Starforce protection over a legal copy anyday. (Though I'd buy the legal copy then download the pirated version.)

Starforce breaks CD drives.

Apparentl SecuROM breaks some CD/DVD Burners. I made a quick Im fellin' lucky link a little above your post with some problems with it.

It surely broke my burner. I can't even burn home videos properly. Not sure if it was Starforce or securom though, or maybe both. Possibly they are conflicting each other and mess things up.

vlad321 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

So if this is why piracy is so high, then why do games that don't contain the following three items still get pirated at rapid rates? World of Goo, which is price low and contains no real limitations like those you mention still got pirated uncontrollably, enough so that the developer publicly spoke about it. Why do console and handheld games get pirated? In fact where is there any correlation between DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and high piracy rates? It seems to me that pirates don't discriminate in that manner at all. 

World of Goo had 90% piracy rate within the first few weeks. It is well known that piracy is extremely frontloaded while sales on the PC draw out forever. I mean hell, in thet first month I had 3 copies of WoG pirated, now over a year later, I have 2 copies on Steam and 1 on WiiWare.

As for DRM leading to piracy, check out what happened with SPORE. I mean looking at the SPORE "new users over last 24 hours," That is users who have a legal copy they can register to the Sporepedia, is at 1,243. I think total is around 3.5 mil. Meanwhile after those 1.7 mil piracy cases in 3 months, until EA patched out their shitty DRM more or less, hasn't increased nowhere near at the same rate.

That's not justification though. You try to give these reasons as to why piracy is so high and attempt to justify it, and then shrug your shoulders when an indy developer that trusted gamers to make the right decision on a budget game do not put any DRM in and still get slapped in the face by them. If DRM is the reason why piracy is so high, then why did World of Goo get pirated so much? Why did you pirate it three times? Do you have yet another excuse for it? 

Let's be real here. Piracy is full of lame excuses trying to justify the whys, but in the end is merely a case of not being able to or simply not wanting to pay for a product. It's inherent worth is irrelevant, as is it's quality. It's a matter of availability. Piracy is widely available and PC games are marketed to the type of group that is knowledgeable enough and willing enough to pirate in the first place. That is why Nintendo doesn't need to do a damn thing to combat piracy and the PC developers do. 

The next time you ask yourself why your precious PC games have to be "dumbed down" for consoles and thus dumbed down for the PC, remember which consumers are still buying the games, and you'll notice that piracy is the cause of the radical shift away from PC only development for the formally biggest names in PC development. You are a huge contributor to your own dissatisfaction with PC gaming.  

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Mummelmann said:
Another piracy debate? Do we need one again?

I would say no. Maybe I should just record my general lecture on the ins and outs of piracy etc, so I can just copy paste it every time a new thread pops up filled with more regurgitated, innacurate arguments pop up. 

Steal 4 games and pay for a new graphics card? Its a new year and Fermi is about to release.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?