By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why Piracy si so high (Mass Effect 2)

It doesn't matter if its good or evil. The thing that matters is that the company needs the money to continue making awesome games. If you really enjoy Mass Effect 2 you should pay in order to support the company. However if your just testing it out and you realize you don't like no harm done I guess! But most people will finish it and say its crap though they enjoyed every second of it~~.

You can also debate and blame it on the company for making it this easy for pirates. But that is a whole other thing.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
vlad321 said:
Zucas said:
vlad321 said:
Zucas said:
vlad321 said:
Zucas said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

Because people should hold themselves up to a high level of decency rather than the dirt I walk on.  Of course considering they don't, the rest of us pay for it... literally. 

You are assuming here that piracy is morally bad. There's your first problem.

I'm sorry I guess stealing isn't morally bad anymore.  Well I guess, you could mean to discuss whether morals actually exist (subjective vs. objective), but it doesn't seem you could debate on such a tense philosophical discussion so it's doubtful this is what you were getting at.  Therefore it seems you have also made up your mind on the discussion as well, and that is your poblem too.  Now last I checked, contradictions aren't a logical way of arguing. 

I steal a ferrari and there is no more ferrari. I pirate a game and the game is still there. Your very first sentence is wrong, didn't read after that.

You make a model of a care to sell to a company.  I come to your house, take the plans for the model, and sell it as my own.  Your model is still there.  But by your understanding of the matter, nothing is wrong with that. 

And of course you wouldn't read the rest.  As I stated, I knew you wouldn't be capable of taking this to a deep philosophical level, which a morality discussion is, but instead would rely on "other" things which can be easily put down.

Pirates don't make any money.

Also there is no point in arguing about this philosophically when your base assumptions are wrong.

And neither does your design for a car. 

There is also no point in arguing this when you refuse to actually put your opinions up to ACTUAL critique of others.  Words of wisdom for the not so open, don't enter an argument if you don't want someone to argue what you have to say.  It's not logical nor is it something anyone else will ever look highly upon.  If you want to have your opinions taken seriously, you need to let them come under intense, analytical critique by others.  Simply playing the role of a fort defense, and being damage control doesn't get you anywhere, but just makes your overall argument look weak.  It's not hard to tell just by the way you've said things in the rest of the topic, and other posts, that I was able to easily identify this in my response to you and use it against you.  Pay attention a little... it might help. 

Yes my design doesn't make any money, but you implied that people who  stole it made money with it. Since I'm guessing the people who stole it are supposed to be the pirates, I corrected you. Pirates don't make money. Again, your base assumption is wrong, there is no point of having an argument with differing base assumptions.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Avoiding the 14gb download is a good bullet point for the retail version. I wonder if this game will break at a certain point like ME1 did if you pirated it. Of course there was a workaround, but I thought that was actually pretty clever. Give people a taste, and once they've made it far enough they might just run out and buy it to continue.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Zucas said:
yanamaster said:
Zucas said:
vlad321 said:

So Mass Effect 2 for the PC is already out and up for download.

-1 week earlier

-No SecuROM crap

-No GFWL crap

-No other DRM crap

-Easy as hell installation (compared to GFWL and all that)

So how do publishers actually expect people NOT to pirate given that pirated copies are better than retail in every aspect?

Because people should hold themselves up to a high level of decency rather than the dirt I walk on.  Of course considering they don't, the rest of us pay for it... literally. 

True but hey, i guess the world isn't perfect as we would like it to be right? I've already bought the game through my local game dealer which didn't stop me downloading the game just to be rid of all the securoms, gfwl's, drm and other crap.

Besides that you have to rue the system that we created ourselves that allows us to reach out for easy pickings.It's human nature and no amount of self holding to a higher decency level will change it.

edit:although i do agree with you in general. Good thing that most pirates even if they dl the game decide to purchase it later. Being on the right forums you can find out that most treat the dl as a demo to judge and later purchase a retail copy, question is, is that wrong?

No the world is definitely not perfect... but it could be if we tried haha.  Or at least better than it is.  And well I'm not going to get into a discussion of what human nature is, but just a little food for thought (is it really our human nature or just what is ingrained into us to believe.  Nurture verus nature is another very interesting philosohpical discussion that wore me out in my philosophy and political theory classes haha. 

But what I always say, if you don't like the service being provided for you, then you don't have to buy it.  That's our capitalist system and it works well.  If you still want to be involved but don't want to have to pay, then you are in the wrong setup and in this society that is looked down upon.  I'd like to think that my working hard at school and my job means something than some kids in their basement exploiting the system because they are too lazy to get off their buts.  But maybe that's just the southern USA way of looking at things... don't know how things work around the rest of the country or world to tell ya the truth. 

Well three things:

1. I am worn out in these discussions mostly since my sister has used me as a test subject for a lot of her pschological tests, be they about religion, fear or pancakes, so i feel you bro.

2. No we do not have to buy it but this goes against economical rules of scarce goods and competition. If i want a good then i want a good, period. If company A wants to sell it to me in a form like ME2 is right now, i don't want that so i look for another comapbny with Mass Effect 2. But there isn't any.And yet there is: pirated games. Which gives a scarce good. for free. in the form i want it. Economicaly speaking, there is no bad moral choice here.

so i say that buying it at a retail store and then pirating the game is as good as the world will get in this situation.

3. i sure as hell also would like to think that i will be something more than the bum called Joe across the street but this ain't no motion picture and i  ain't got no damsel in distress  to save so i have to make due with that i've been revving my ass in uni to earn a bundle of money in my future job and hope that it makes some difference. In the end we're all born and we all fester in/on the ground/water/outerspace after we kick the bucket. And how we lived in between that doesn't really change much ;P. 

Hoho.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

ameratsu said:

Avoiding the 14gb download is a good bullet point for the retail version. I wonder if this game will break at a certain point like ME1 did if you pirated it. Of course there was a workaround, but I thought that was actually pretty clever. Give people a taste, and once they've made it far enough they might just run out and buy it to continue.

I agree 14GB is pretty steep. I haven't downloaded it but I wouldn't put it past them. Though the torrent is from Razor1911 so it might be the real deal, they are usually high quality and all.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Why Piracy is so high? Because its free vs actually having to pay the producers. If PC games sales were higher it would justify a lot more development and fewer cheap ports when they do come across.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Why Piracy is so high? Because its free vs actually having to pay the producers. If PC games sales were higher it would justify a lot more development and fewer cheap ports when they do come across.

Year after year it has been proven that music pirates buy tons more music than do people who don't pirate music. I have a very strong hunch it's the same with video game piracy.

Since when are music and games the same thing?

I know all about SecuROM, but what's this GFWL stuff?

It's easy to identify the problem, but what's the solution? Tell the publishers to make the games easier to copy by not including these DRMs? How about telling them to just not bother with PC games anymore?

You advocating piracy is forcing their hand and then you'll watch and complain when Mass Effect 3 is console only.